300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys think?????

I am in college right now. Im taking a class called law enforcement administration. The professor used to be chief of police to a couple of different towns. I emailed him the following.

"Well, If you dont mind, i will tell you what my background is, this way if it is too bad, i wont be wasting your time. I am 19 about to be 20. When i was 13-15, i used to shoplift. I was never caught, but that doesnt change the fact that i did do it. When i was 15, me and my mom got into an argument and i was taken into custody and put into juvenile hall for the night. The police told my mother this was a scare tactic. That has since been expunged. I once took ten dollars from the register at work, when i was 16 working at burger king. Me and a coworker was supposed to split the money, because the manager had already taken the till, and really didnt care. I ended up just giving it to him because i felt to bad. I was let go from burger king, for performance issues. I had done a bad job cleaning one night. I remember once when i was 13 was with some of my friends, and we threw rocks onto a freeway( i know what your thinking, looking back at it I feel ashamed.) I was terminated from a 2nd job I had because my boxers where showing from my pants, and someone complained. I didnt realize they were, but i did not deny it. Drug wise, I guess you could say i tried marijuana once, even though i only put my lips up to it, and did not inhale. Other then that, no drug use. The only other negative thing is my credit. I am behind and am in debt. Within the next 6 months, i will be debt free. I know that you cannot tell me if I get hired or not. But do you think I have a chance? Im going to be completely honest on my applications. Everything I just told you i will be telling them, even though Ive never been caught. I just think being honest about it would be better than trying to avoid it. So basically, im just wondering what my chances will be. I will have a degree in police science within the next year and a half. And then A degree in public management, in a year and a half more. Right now in volunteering with the clarksville police dept. I am sure i can score well on any test, written or physical. I have been with my current employer for a year and a half. So what do you think? I definately appreciate your opinions."

And he wrote

"Law enforcement agencies look at two major criteria in the background. The first is whether there are any criminal charges against the person. You have some behavior as a juvenile that would disqualify you, including bad credit, poor job performance, and unacceptable behavior. I would say that, if you were to apply for any police department at age 21 your chances of being selected are small.

The second thing police agencies look at is the length of time between the “deviant behavior” and the time of application. If you have been a model citizen, done no drugs in that interim, and have a good job performance record, your chances are improved significantly. Police agencies understand juvenile behavior is usually far from being model behavior, but will look at the significance of the behavior. At the present time there is not such a significant gap between your unacceptable behavior and the present time. If you applied at age 30-35, giving that significant gap with no further problems, you would probably be hired. I would offer one further caveat. If you apply for a department now, without that gap I spoke of, and get rejected, that becomes a further black mark.

So my advice is this. Do not apply to any police department now, or when you turn 21. Get your credit straightened out, develop a good job performance record, keep away from the drugs and alcohol, and do not get in any more trouble. I believe you now know the difference between right and wrong, but you now have to prove it by a length of time of showing that difference.

I hope this helps you to make your decisions. It is a long time to wait before you could be hired, but if you want that job enough, you can do it. Good luck with your goals."

What do you guys think? I sure as heck dont want to wait until im 35 to get a job as an officer.

So basically you asked him hoping he would tell you what you wanted to hear, but since he didn't you ask us hoping that we'll disagree?

Comment

actually, thats not what i want to hear. I want to hear the truth. or your opinion. Everyone has got one. dont get me wrong. If i hear good news, than thats great. But either way, just wanna know.

Comment

Wait until your 23. No need to rush into the job at. Build a steady work history, and get good work related references. I applied at 5 agencies when I was 20, and got rejected from all of them for a background issue. I re-applied to the same agencies a year later with a year of solid work,another year of school under my belt, and I'll be 22 in 6 weeks. You havnt done anything to DQ you for life. But time does need to go by. As far as being 35, thats a little out there. You'll be fine. Goodluck.

PS - Why email your teacher? Why not face to face?

Comment

His class is online. I am definately busting down. I think that if iI bust down on it hard enough, that I can get in. Thank you for your opinion!

Comment

What do you Guys think?

Originally posted by sbruce87 View Post
            I am in college right now. Im taking a class called law enforcement administration. The professor used to be chief of police to a couple of different towns. I emailed him the following.

"Well, If you dont mind, i will tell you what my background is, this way if it is too bad, i wont be wasting your time. I am 19 about to be 20. When i was 13-15, i used to shoplift. I was never caught, but that doesnt change the fact that i did do it. When i was 15, me and my mom got into an argument and i was taken into custody and put into juvenile hall for the night. The police told my mother this was a scare tactic. That has since been expunged. I once took ten dollars from the register at work, when i was 16 working at burger king. Me and a coworker was supposed to split the money, because the manager had already taken the till, and really didnt care. I ended up just giving it to him because i felt to bad. I was let go from burger king, for performance issues. I had done a bad job cleaning one night. I remember once when i was 13 was with some of my friends, and we threw rocks onto a freeway( i know what your thinking, looking back at it I feel ashamed.) I was terminated from a 2nd job I had because my boxers where showing from my pants, and someone complained. I didnt realize they were, but i did not deny it. Drug wise, I guess you could say i tried marijuana once, even though i only put my lips up to it, and did not inhale. Other then that, no drug use. The only other negative thing is my credit. I am behind and am in debt. Within the next 6 months, i will be debt free. I know that you cannot tell me if I get hired or not. But do you think I have a chance? Im going to be completely honest on my applications. Everything I just told you i will be telling them, even though Ive never been caught. I just think being honest about it would be better than trying to avoid it. So basically, im just wondering what my chances will be. I will have a degree in police science within the next year and a half. And then A degree in public management, in a year and a half more. Right now in volunteering with the clarksville police dept. I am sure i can score well on any test, written or physical. I have been with my current employer for a year and a half. So what do you think? I definately appreciate your opinions."

And he wrote

"Law enforcement agencies look at two major criteria in the background. The first is whether there are any criminal charges against the person. You have some behavior as a juvenile that would disqualify you, including bad credit, poor job performance, and unacceptable behavior. I would say that, if you were to apply for any police department at age 21 your chances of being selected are small.

The second thing police agencies look at is the length of time between the “deviant behavior” and the time of application. If you have been a model citizen, done no drugs in that interim, and have a good job performance record, your chances are improved significantly. Police agencies understand juvenile behavior is usually far from being model behavior, but will look at the significance of the behavior. At the present time there is not such a significant gap between your unacceptable behavior and the present time. If you applied at age 30-35, giving that significant gap with no further problems, you would probably be hired. I would offer one further caveat. If you apply for a department now, without that gap I spoke of, and get rejected, that becomes a further black mark.

So my advice is this. Do not apply to any police department now, or when you turn 21. Get your credit straightened out, develop a good job performance record, keep away from the drugs and alcohol, and do not get in any more trouble. I believe you now know the difference between right and wrong, but you now have to prove it by a length of time of showing that difference.

I hope this helps you to make your decisions. It is a long time to wait before you could be hired, but if you want that job enough, you can do it. Good luck with your goals."

What do you guys think? I sure as heck dont want to wait until im 35 to get a job as an officer.
            I think you need to re-read the Former Chief's E-Mail to you. At the present, you are NOT a viable candidate as a Police Officer. Can that be remedied? Possibly. Several years of responsible citizenship, as evidenced by holding a steady job, paying debts on time, and staying out of trouble,can help. You might want to consider an enlistment in the Armed Forces, although it's very possible, they would also not want to deal with you at present. The ball is definitely in your court. I'm assuming you came here, wanting honest answers, because that is what you're going to get.

Comment

Do you guys think that I could get picked up when I'm 22, with a bac. degree in public management? Would that be enough time? That would be 5 years in between anything bad Ive done.

Comment

What do you Guys think?

Originally posted by sbruce87 View Post
                Do you guys think that I could get picked up when I'm 22, with a bac. degree in public management? Would that be enough time? That would be 5 years in between anything bad Ive done.
                The only thing that will prevent you from applying is you. Whether or not a department hires you, is up to them. Five years may be sufficient, but that's no guarantee. At the end of the day,it won't be what we think, it will be what the department thinks.

Comment

"Drug wise, I guess you could say i tried marijuana once, even though i only put my lips up to it, and did not inhale. "

Don't justify or rationalize, sounds like Bill Clinton and I don't think a BI would buy it. (Even if it's true). You can and should apply for your dream job at multiple agencies. Don't be distraught if you are denied at some, just keep trying and be honest without justifying anything, just be honest. A BI is not interested in why you did it, just that you did it. Now this is from an old man that is still in LE and active. Best of luck and hope you have turned it around, many current LEO's have been problem children and outgrown the problems. They make good officers because of their own life experiences.
                  Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

Do I have a chance?? any?

Comment

Yes, you have a chance. You just need to find the right department for you.
                      Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3489 users online. 201 members and 3288 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X