300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illinois Marijuana Laws and the Hiring Process

I know the DQ questions are asked to death but I am having a hard time finding any that relate to the situation I find myself in. Just really looking for opinions on what the likely outcome will be here.

Next week I take my Physical Test (which I'm well prepared for) for one of my local departments, as long as I pass I will be getting an invite to an Oral Board interview. I was reviewing the basic material for their job posting and noticed I had misread a piece of their disqualifier list. I read no "illegal" use of marijuana in the past 18 months but it reads no use of marijuana in the past 18 months. I believe I misread this because the other local department's job materials does specifically say no "illegal" marijuana use.

This document was written in 2018 before the changes to the Illinois law which legalized recreational use as of Jan 1,2020.

I did legal use marijuana in March of this year but before that the last time was when I was in high school almost ten years ago. I was not the purchaser of the marijuana so I am still able to purchase and own firearms so that would not be a hurdle. I also know I can pass a drug screen at this time.

I have been preparing vigorously for the interview and I believe I will knock it out of the park. I know I will be asked about marijuana use and I will be 100% honest. I am just trying to get a sense of if I should expect to be cut from the process at that point or if the legal changes might allow me to proceed. I know I won't get a definite answer on here, but if anyone is in Illinois or is a part of the hiring process on a department, what would you think the most likely outcome is?
    Thank you for your time in reviewing this.

Marijuana is still illegal under Federal law. Years ago, BATF issued an informal opinion stating that users of marijuana fall within the category of drug users who are prohibited by law from possessing and transporting firearms and ammunition.

Lacking the ability to possess a firearm and ammunition suggests one lacks the minimum qualifications to be a cop.

Best of luck.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by rovertdean7 View Post
      I know the DQ questions are asked to death but I am having a hard time finding any that relate to the situation I find myself in. Just really looking for opinions on what the likely outcome will be here.

Next week I take my Physical Test (which I'm well prepared for) for one of my local departments, as long as I pass I will be getting an invite to an Oral Board interview. I was reviewing the basic material for their job posting and noticed I had misread a piece of their disqualifier list. I read no "illegal" use of marijuana in the past 18 months but it reads no use of marijuana in the past 18 months. I believe I misread this because the other local department's job materials does specifically say no "illegal" marijuana use.

This document was written in 2018 before the changes to the Illinois law which legalized recreational use as of Jan 1,2020.

I did legal use marijuana in March of this year but before that the last time was when I was in high school almost ten years ago. I was not the purchaser of the marijuana so I am still able to purchase and own firearms so that would not be a hurdle. I also know I can pass a drug screen at this time.

I have been preparing vigorously for the interview and I believe I will knock it out of the park. I know I will be asked about marijuana use and I will be 100% honest. I am just trying to get a sense of if I should expect to be cut from the process at that point or if the legal changes might allow me to proceed. I know I won't get a definite answer on here, but if anyone is in Illinois or is a part of the hiring process on a department, what would you think the most likely outcome is?
      Thank you for your time in reviewing this.
      As has already been pointed out, marijuana possession is illegal in all 50 states under federal law.

If you want to be a cop, stop doing illegal drugs, and let some time pass before you reapply. They may say only 18 months, but I'd have a hard time seeing you pass any law enforcement background investigation if your last federal drug crime was less than 3 years ago. Even then, there are plenty of other applicants that don't have your criminal history, and you're going to be up against those people for a position.

Comment

...and I don't know why you would think that you can legally possess firearms simply because someone else bought the illegal drugs that you used.

If you possess any firearms, you are committing a federal firearms felony (or felonies), which will DEFINITELY prevent you from EVER becoming a police officer.

Refer to the wording of question 11e on the federal form 4473...

Comment

I did legal use marijuana in March of this year
          So that means you were applying or testing around the time you partook? Huge judgement fail.

I have been preparing vigorously for the interview and I believe I will knock it out of the park
          Until they ask why you partook during the hiring process and you answer hmmm, well, hmmm, I dunno, I thought herb was legal, hmmm, your document was written in 2018, blah blah.

I suspect you'll be going in the No pile.

What does not kill you will likely try again.

Comment

Just because we now allow adults the legal avenues to consume marijuana doesn't mean the hiring agency will allow said use to be viewed favorably. Just be honest when asked.

March was 4 months ago so that probably will be an issue. Surely you were already applied by then or were already considering LE as a career and you chose to smoke weed anyway.

Also you did not legally consume it if you were not the adult who purchased it legally from a licensed dispensary. One of the stipulations of the new law is that the purchaser is the only one who may legally consume the product. Not the purchasers buddy or family or whatever. So no, you did not consume it legally.

Comment

I have gone my entire 71 years of living and never once have I smoked marijuana,,,why couldn't you do the same.
              Retired LASD

Comment

Straight to the "no" pile.

Comment

Heck,
                  He is liable to be the best qualified considering todays climate
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Aidokea
                    Aidokea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Lol.......

Seattle PD is hiring. Just tell them you believe in the BLM movement and you hate Trump when you have your oral board.

Comment

• 1RidgeRunner7
                    1RidgeRunner7 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    He’s in Illinois, same thing.

I smoked marijuana a few years before applying to my current Police Department and for an Army CID Direct Accessions contract. I told both I had used marijuana in the past and, as far as I know, it was a non-issue for both applications. I was offered both, but I accepted the City PD contract.

On the other hand: An acquaintance of mine who was in incredible physical shape and scored fairly well on the Civil Service Exam used marijuana throughout the PD hiring process, though he swore he'd stop "if he actually got hired." He was not asked to come back after the Psych/Polygraph stage of the process.

It's not just about being able to pass a drug test or parsing the technical language of the hiring requirements, departments care if you are honest and have integrity.
                  "Don't do that." - DT Instructor

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4588 users online. 310 members and 4278 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X