300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who’s hiring?

Currently living in NY and looking to relocate. My background is in customer service but I’m interested in a law enforcement career. Who’s hiring?

Originally posted by ken185 View Post
    Currently living in NY and looking to relocate. My background is in customer service but I’m interested in a law enforcement career. Who’s hiring?
    Everyone is hiring. All the time. And it was that way for my entire career.

Almost all law enforcement agencies are so short-staffed, that overtime opportunities are virtually unlimited, and officers are often ordered to work overtime.

I was an FTO (Field Training Officer) and I don't know the last time I ever knew of a rookie making less than $100K their first year.

I didn't neccesarily go looking for overtime, but I tried to help most supervisors out when they asked. I made as much as about $13K a month, and my commuter car was a Porsche convertible that I custom-ordered new. There were other guys that actually pursued overtime, that made a LOT more than me.

Given the current climate, I could not in clear conscience advise any anyone to pursue a career in law enforcement, but there are a lot of my brothers and sisters who are getting tired of working 35 hours in two days.

Its gotten so bad that a lot of officers have to resort to protecting their time off with the "Tactical Beer". The way the Tactical Beer works, is that when your supervisor texts you to ask you to come in 8 hours before your scheduled shift starts (or to come in on your day off), you pound as much alcohol as you can in a few minutes, and then text them back that you can't come in because you've been drinking. It ALMOST always works- I got picked up at my house once, as drunk as I could get by the time they got there, a little before midnight, and ordered to work all night (no uniform and no gun, of course) a shift inside the station...for time and a half...
    Last edited by Aidokea; 07-04-2020, 01:45 AM.

Comment

If I'm not on call my work phone goes in a closet. If my personal phone doesn't recognize the number, and sometimes if it does, calls go to voicemail.

Given the current climate, I could not in clear conscience advise any anyone to pursue a career in law enforcement, but there are a lot of my brothers and sisters who are getting tired of working 35 hours in two days.
      This. Give some time to cool off and let things shake out. Half the big cities aren't going to have anything recognizable as a "police department" in a few years if things keep going as they are.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
        If I'm not on call my work phone goes in a closet. If my personal phone doesn't recognize the number, and sometimes if it does, calls go to voicemail.
        At my second agency, the one I retired from, I had no issued work phone. Our G.O.s required us to have a personal phone that we could be reached at 24/7, so everyone I worked with or for, had my personal cell phone number.

Comment

With all the calls to "defund the police," taking away qualified immunity and charging LEOs with felonies, why in the world would you want to start now?

If you lived down here I would gladly trade jobs with you. I'm out as soon as I find another job. Even without all the above I was already getting tired of working for [email protected] that do nothing but b!tch and make my job harder.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

At my second agency, the one I retired from, I had no issued work phone. Our G.O.s required us to have a personal phone that we could be reached at 24/7, so everyone I worked with or for, had my personal cell phone number.
            So you're on call 24/7... without compensation? Remind me not to work for that department.
            "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

So you're on call 24/7... without compensation? Remind me not to work for that department.
              That is the way it is in a majority of law enforcement agencies.....especially the smaller agencies .......................... I am part time ON CALL...That is my job title.

To the OP

True EVERYONE is hiring........................if I were you I would start with Minneapolis, Seattle, and Atlanta. Then toss in Baltimore, Washington DC & St Louis
              Last edited by Iowa #1603; 07-04-2020, 07:14 AM.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

So you're on call 24/7... without compensation?
                No. If I was on call, I'd be required to be sober, and they'd have to pay me for it. I was simply required to have a phone number they could reach me at. Hence the Tactical Beer.

Remind me not to work for that department.
                Okay. Don't work for that department...
                Last edited by Aidokea; 07-04-2020, 07:26 AM.

Comment

.That is the way it is in a majority of law enforcement agencies.....especially the smaller agencies .
                  My department has four patrol officers, me (the SRO), one CSO/ACO, two sergeants and a Chief.

The supervisors have an on call rotation but us line pukes only are on call in relation to a shift we’re working: night shift is on call for 2 hours after they call off, day shift is on call for 2 hours before they call on... because we don’t have anybody working 0300-0700. Even then, dispatch calls the on-call supervisor first who decides if we get called out or not.

I’m filling in for the day car front half next week, so I’ll be on call starting at 0500 Sunday until I call on at 0700. ...but right now my phone is in the basement.

I gave my personal number out to the patrol guys because I was the only one with access to the school district student database, so they could call me if they needed to find out where a kid lived, or moms phone number... but that was voluntary... and now the sergeants have access to that database.

I guess posts like this show how things are different in different places.

Comment

• scotty_appleton814
                    scotty_appleton814 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I like this post. There is a lot of variety of departments across the country.

My department has four patrol officers, me (the SRO), one CSO/ACO, two sergeants and a Chief.

The supervisors have an on call rotation but us line pukes only are on call in relation to a shift we’re working: night shift is on call for 2 hours after they call off, day shift is on call for 2 hours before they call on... because we don’t have anybody working 0300-0700. Even then, dispatch calls the on-call supervisor first who decides if we get called out or not.

I’m filling in for the day car front half next week, so I’ll be on call starting at 0500 Sunday until I call on at 0700. ...but right now my phone is in the basement.

I gave my personal number out to the patrol guys because I was the only one with access to the school district student database, so they could call me if they needed to find out where a kid lived, or moms phone number... but that was voluntary... and now the sergeants have access to that database.

I guess posts like this show how things are different in different places.
                  I still stand my my answer that being on call is normal in most small agencies...............yours is an unusual system
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

I still stand my my answer that being on call is normal in most small agencies...............yours is an unusual system
                    Apparently so. Maybe it's Colorado thing. The Sheriff's office had no expectation that deputies be available when they weren't scheduled either.

Comment

Originally posted by ken185 View Post
                      Pretty broad question. Need to narrow it down to a certain state at least.
                      John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

• ken185
                        ken185 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I’m looking at Texas, Colorado, North Carolina

Edit - I'm sorry, I didn't mean to post here.
                      Last edited by FutureManinBlue; 07-06-2020, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FutureManinBlue View Post

I am one of the few who is perhaps stupid enough to still have faith. My Aunt lived in the the City during the ****kin Adminsation, and remembers the rise to Gullani. I still have some faith that eventually, crime and quality of life will get so bad -- that there will be a revolt by the city residents in places like Seattle and New York, and a return to crime & order will happen.

Maybe I am just young and dumb. But, I live in this city. I care about my city, and I refuse to give up. I want to become an officer and do what I can to help. I may never have the support of the politicians, or the people. But I still want to help, even if I am treated like dog **** every day.

Deep down, I hope I'm not alone.
                        You're not supposed to reply in this section.

But it's much more than having support from the people or the politicians! They're arresting police officers for defending themselves! Just imagine being locked up with the criminal element. You think a former LEO will get treated differently from the other inmates?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4602 users online. 332 members and 4270 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X