300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I still become a cop?

I'm wrapping up my bachelor's degree this coming December, and am going to start applying to a handful of agencies. I've done everything I can to maintain a clean background since I have always wanted to become an LEO, but still have made some childish mistakes in my past. I am 22 now, and have military background, currently enlisted in the Air Force Reserve for the last 3 years.

The only citation I have ever received was a traffic ticket at 16, for having a passenger in the vehicle without a seatbelt. That complaint was dismissed in court. I have never used any illegal drugs in my life, including marijuana. I drank underage a few times, I stole a keychain that costed $3-$4 from Disneyland when I was 14 years old, and swapped a price tag for a difference of $10 when I was 18. Never caught for anything, but I plan on disclosing all of this on my background. Stupid, yes I know, but I feel like I have ruined my career. Is it worth continuing the process or would I automatically be disqualified?

There is a difference between habitual alcohol abuse, binge drinking, and a few isolated incidents of underage consumption. It sounds like your experience is well within normal behavior range.

A couple of minor theft/shoplift incidents is also fairly common among adolescents.

As a hiring authority I would be much more concerned if there were a pattern of aberrant behavior, and frankly I would be pretty suspicious of a 22 year old applicant with no negative history at all.

I would not be overly concerned at this point. Always keep in mind that the selection process is competitive, and you will continually be compared to everyone else in the applicant pool. What you are bringing to the hiring authority is a bachelors degree at 22 years of age, indicating that you are willing and able to commit yourself to achieving your goals and staying on track for success, with simultaneous success in reserve military service. A few minor acts of adolescent behavior should not be a disqualifying factor. Even with the degree, at your age you will be looking at entry-level employment with an expectation of completing the training and certification programs and spending several years at entry-level while gaining experience and more maturity.

If law enforcement agencies restricted hiring to only "perfect people" there would be no qualified applicants. Expect a thorough background questionnaire, interviews, and investigation. Expect tough questioning. Expect stiff competition from other applicants. You may go through the application process several times with multiple agencies, but I expect you will find a position within a year or so. You may even find that you are in strong demand.

Comment

I wouldn't be too concerned with anything you mentioned here. It's all your typical juvenile stuff.

That being said, ANYBODY who applies for a LE position right now should be automatically disqualified for psych reasons. Nobody in their right mind would want to become a cop in this current climate.

Comment

I do not see any issues, we are all human, and made mistakes or bad decisions in life, either due to immaturity or bad impulses especially early in life.

DO NOT drop out of the process for the reasons you listed, you should be fine.
        John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

You have to be crazy to want to be a cop in the best of times, right now you’re outright stupid to try.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
            You have to be crazy to want to be a cop in the best of times, right now you’re outright stupid to try.
            We also have to remember that it certainly depends on WHERE you want to apply, there are jurisdictions out there that are very supportive of LE. Where I live, Charlotte (CMPD) is the highest paid and largest LE agency in both Carolinas. However, the local government, Sheriff, D.A., county and Charlotte city council are all controlled by Democrats, and even one Charlotte council member has been a vocal member of the anti-police protests. But if you want to make money, CMPD is probably your best bet.

The suburbs of Charlotte, are completely different, and are generally rather supportive of police. The counties that surround Mecklenburg (Charlotte is in Mecklenburg County) are majority Republican, but even these towns have seen their share of protests (but much smaller and more peaceful).

So my point is not ALL areas are against their police, and you can even find a rather sympathetic public.

I think there may be a general flight of police officers from major cities to suburban towns or other forms of LE in the near future such as state or specialized LE jobs.
            John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

Originally posted by NC Marine View Post

We also have to remember that it certainly depends on WHERE you want to apply, there are jurisdictions out there that are very supportive of LE. Where I live, Charlotte (CMPD) is the highest paid and largest LE agency in both Carolinas. However, the local government, Sheriff, D.A., county and Charlotte city council are all controlled by Democrats, and even one Charlotte council member has been a vocal member of the anti-police protests. But if you want to make money, CMPD is probably your best bet.

The suburbs of Charlotte, are completely different, and are generally rather supportive of police. The counties that surround Mecklenburg (Charlotte is in Mecklenburg County) are majority Republican, but even these towns have seen their share of protests (but much smaller and more peaceful).

So my point is not ALL areas are against their police, and you can even find a rather sympathetic public.

I think there may be a general flight of police officers from major cities to suburban towns or other forms of LE in the near future such as state or specialized LE jobs.
              Where I work,the town administration and residents both, are very supportive.... but the state is controlled by Denver and Boulder, and I get to work under the strictures those cities enact since they control the legislature.

Minnesota is generally pro law enforcement, but half the cities in the country are burning because of Minneapolis.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by NC Marine View Post

We also have to remember that it certainly depends on WHERE you want to apply, there are jurisdictions out there that are very supportive of LE. .
                Yep there are pro LE places.........................and they are getting fewer and fewer.

Take for example Des Monines Iowa. VERY law and order area. The Republican Controlled state legislature came back one week this month to finish up the session that was furloughed due to COVID.. In ONE DAY both houses passed Law Enforcement REFORM that mimics what is being spewed all over the country . (no choke holds, banning officer that get fired from job jumping , etc) The REPUBLICAN governor signed it that afternoon.

Yesterday there were photos posted of a "peaceful protest" Friday where they torched a Police Squad car................

The second largest city in Iowa again is very law and order. Last week they fired a veteran officer who had been cleared of two OIS situations in the last 6 yrs AFTER he was cleared by Grand Jurys...............The Chief's press release said he "didn't follow city policy" & " lied to Internal Affairs" in some unnamed incident .

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post
                I
                That being said, ANYBODY who applies for a LE position right now should be automatically disqualified for psych reasons. Nobody in their right mind would want to become a cop in this current climate.

ALL of these incident nationwide are eroding the trust the OFFICERS have with their command staff & civilian administrations. The OFFICERS wondering if when they do something they are trained to do will their command back them. Will they be Charged & arrested in order to "calm the waters" of protest because the Use of Force "looked bad"

Everyone of us are trained to react to dangerous situations in a way that TRIES to assure that we go home at the end of our shift in a relatively intact condition. We have all seen what happens when things go bad & an officer hesitates to take control of the situation(IE the Dinkheller video). BUT worrying about if the outcome is going to be charges, jail and prison is going to make someone hesitate and get them killed.

I live and work in a VERY pro LE community. HOWEVER myself and all the sworn Deputies I work with are worried about that next UOF incident (I was involved in one LAST WEEK)

I am in a situation where I could walk anytime without financial consequences...............I REMAIN because I want to. HOWEVER I won't encourage anyone to join the profession right now.

If I was on the street as a sworn officer .........................I don't think I would be able to justify the risk of death or injury .....or of incarceration for something that I had to do to enforce the laws. I speak of this in the light of a person who first pinned on a badge in 1976 & have worked in the industry in jails, prisons, as a sworn Deputy sheriff and now as a Sheriff's Office non sworn uniformed officer. I also have 15 yrs of SUPERVISORY experience mixed in that time

This is my 43rd yr in service.....I have worked with "bad" officers, but in all that time I have NEVER known an officer who came into work planning on hurting or killing someone. .
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Not sure why I was quoted above?

As someone with a decade of experience as a patrol supervisor, and the last few years in lower admin (LT), I'm keenly aware of officers' fears...which have been amplified by recent events. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm burnt out after a few hellish months (first COVID-19 in one of the hardest-hit areas of the country, and now politics). I'm just about ready to hang up the uniform...but I'm hoping to pass the torch to someone who will do his damndest to advocate for and protect the rank and file. On the other hand, I realize that with the current political and societal pressure, "having your officers' backs" may just not be enough anymore..which just adds to my frustration.

Comment

• Iowa #1603
                    Iowa #1603 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was agreeing with you and expanding for some of the posters who don't seem to get it................

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3145 users online. 215 members and 2930 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X