300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would YOUR answer be?

Say you're given the following question: "What will be the most challenging aspect for you in becoming a deputy sheriff?"

How would you answer? Is saying "getting used to the 'work all night, sleep during the day' schedule an acceptable answer. I'm curious as to how everyone would answer this.
    "Concentrate on what cannot lie.....the evidence."

The answer to this question would be different for everyone. Your answer is one, a few others would be:

- Dealing with crimes against children
    - Having to see dead and mangled bodies
    - Having to deal with people who have diseases
    - Having to see suicide victims
    - Trying to learn all the applicable laws
    - Etc....

This question is open to interpretation. As long as you're able to explain yourself, you should be fine.

Comment

From a recently hired Deputy Sheriff (7 months), the honest answer to this question is geography. No bull, the job is extremely fun and the things I have seen are amazing even the sick stuff. Depending on the county you will be working in. Mine for example is 900 square miles. My county also uses 3 different numbering systems. Most roads are not marked either. So from my expierience that would be the most challenging thing. Would it work in an interview, probably not. The law stuff is a close second. But good luck!!
      My worst day as a police officer is a million times better than the best day on any other job!

RIP Joseph Bokholdt 2-14-1983 to 5-27-2008.

Comment

making it through the physical training aspect of academy as while i excel at many of the muscular endurance exercises my running needs improvement.

Comment

When I answered that, it was 2 pronged. I told them about my poor test taking possibily holding me back as well as my shin splints for the academy. There isn't really a right or wrong answer as long as it's truthful.

Comment

Trying to stay sober after seeing folks raped and robbed, kids abused for no reason, and folks shot/beat/killed just because someone was having a bad day and thought it was the in thing to do......

Comment

Those are all good....

I totally didn't think of all of those.

So would it really be bad in saying "learning the geography of 5 different contract cities?" It's honestly true. I've been in the cities they are contracted with a couple of times but I'm not familiar with any of them.

I'm an exercise-induced asthmatic and I constantly have to work at my running so I can be up to par like everyone else. That will be a difficulty of mine since I do not know how much they run in the Sheriff Academy at Stanislaus County. I have played sports, I keep myself in shape, but its constantly something I have to work at.

But that wouldn't be a good thing to bring up, right??
              "Concentrate on what cannot lie.....the evidence."

Comment

Remember, the question is asking about "becoming" a Deputy, not being one.....

Comment

My answer would be, Learning how to work with the public in a positive manner so the public respects Law Enforcement and understands we are doing them a service.
                  Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

Originally posted by patten2002 View Post
                    Say you're given the following question: "What will be the most challenging aspect for you in becoming a deputy sheriff?"
                    Geography or language...and show them you're already working on the challenge, as follows:

"Our county is XXX square miles, with X,XXX of paved and unpaved roads (stats should be available from whoever maintains the roads), I'm trying to memorize the fastest routes to hospitals, schools, SD facilities, etc."

If applicable: "Our county population is XXX,XXX, and is home to XX% of people who do not speak English as their primary language. I have been researching field commands such as 'stop,' 'police,' and 'hands up,' to make sure all people know who I am and what I want them to to do, so I can keep uses-of-force, based on the community member not understanding English, to a minimum."
                    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by Outshined
                      Dumbing myself down, and learning to say "Howdy" "Ding Dong Dang" "That there was eexxxtttrrryyyyy good" LOL

Hey, you forgot, "Hoooooooooweeeee that shore was sumthin'!" And mastering the art of wearing mirrored sunglasses!
                      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4846 users online. 291 members and 4555 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X