Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to properly research departments...

I had a question for everyone. It seems that when I do research for a department, there is a lot of stuff! I know that is a good thing. But here's my question. Let's say on the Sheriff's website, they have a breakdown of each of their three divisions: Administration, Operations and Services. Now do I really need to know the captains name or what the function of that unit is? If I give every detail I know, I'll sound like a long book when I tell it back to the panel of what I know about the department and county.

Thanks for your help!!
    "Concentrate on what cannot lie.....the evidence."

Research

Originally posted by patten2002 View Post
    I had a question for everyone. It seems that when I do research for a department, there is a lot of stuff! I know that is a good thing. But here's my question. Let's say on the Sheriff's website, they have a breakdown of each of their three divisions: Administration, Operations and Services. Now do I really need to know the captains name or what the function of that unit is? If I give every detail I know, I'll sound like a long book when I tell it back to the panel of what I know about the department and county.

Thanks for your help!!
    It might not be all that important to know the names of the Division heads you mentioned. What will be important, is that you have at least a general idea of what those divisions do.

Comment

if you're trying to do research in preparation for oral interview boards because they might ask "what do you know about this dept?", then I'd just remember the Chief's /Sheriff's name, how many officers, know the city, maybe a special unit you're interested in with that dept. oral boards will be very impressed. but no need to know the captains, LTs, etc

i'm assuming you interested in a SO in CA? i know about LASD, and SDSO and there are tons of specialized units in that agency. units i've never heard of too.

Comment

i would be sure to know some demographics about your county too. when i tested 2 years ago for a local city they wanted to know what i knew about that city. i wasnt prepared for that question... so i tried to make sure i knew about the population, city/county square miles, poverty percentage, employed percentage, etc... i havent been asked that question since but ive always gone into an interview prepared at least for it again.

Comment

I would look at the turn over rate. If employees are not staying with a deparment it is an indication of a problem. Do some research on employee retention and the reason why.
          Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

Originally posted by DetectorAz View Post
            I would look at the turn over rate. If employees are not staying with a deparment it is an indication of a problem. Do some research on employee retention and the reason why.

That is a great response!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DetectorAz View Post
              Who would be the best person to ask this? Do I need to call the department? Ask a deputy buddy that I know? Find it on the Net?

If I find out info on the turnout rate, that WOULDN'T be something to use in the interview, right?
              "Concentrate on what cannot lie.....the evidence."

Comment

I would contact the City Human Resources Department and ask about employee retention with the LE agency. I thought you were looking into how to see if a department was good or not so good. No I would not use it in an oral board unless the department has a good retention rate. If you say "I want to work here because you are loosing so many employees as a result of bad management", would not sound good. Just a little humor
                Last edited by DetectorAz; 05-27-2007, 01:44 PM. Reason: extra text
                Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3840 users online. 237 members and 3603 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X