300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSO Academy?

Just wondering if anybody out there would know the start date for the next Orange County Sheriff's Special Officer Academy? Also what it would entail as I understand that is not as comprehensive as the deputy academy which starts in August. Thanks
    My flesh and my heart fail... but God is the strength of my life and my portion forever!

I will have to make a few inquiries with some friends about when the next SSO / jailer academy is scheduled, but generally the SSO academy is a 12 week version of the Deputy academy, complete with running, PT, being yelled at, etc.

If you can skip this step in any way shape or form and get into a Deputy academy, you may as well. If not, I *highly* recommend you continue to trying to get into the Deputy academy and not wait until you have put on pounds, or gotten set in your assignment (i.e.-Lazy).

FWIW, there is *some* resentment among *some* SSOs about their jobs. After some time on, *some* realize that they do many similar assignments with similar duties and responsibilites, but are paid quite a bit less than deputies. Some tend to feel like the Department's 'step-children' so to speak.

Additionally, SSOs usually get the grunt work assignments and rarely the cherry ones. Stuff like screening, metal detectors, building security (i.e.-sitting at a reception desk in a county building, the John Wayne Airport, etc.). Those can be great spots if you need some dedicated studying time for your college degree, but you MUST stay in physical shape if you intend to ever go into the Deputy academy. Many many SSOs aim for this, but get distracted and the time goes by too quickly and then they never do it.

If your goal is to eventually become a Deputy, you need to stay an SSO only as long as it takes you to get your deficiencies addressed (those things that prevented you from becoming a Deputy Sheriff Trainee, such as low score on written test, body-fat index numbers, physical fitness, credit issues, driver's history, etc.).

If your goals start and end with the SSO position, then you must keep an inner-attitude to prevent bitterness and cynicism from rearing their ugly heads.

HTH,

EDJ
    "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Thanks for the info... I am currently in the hiring process for deputy and due to go down in a few weeks to knock out my psyc. and medical evaluations. They said they want to get me into the next deputy academy which starts in August. However, One of my relatives who works for them recommended that I "get my feet wet" in LE by taking this smaller step. He is a veteran of of about 17 years so I definetly value his input... I am also open to other views so thank you for yours as well.
      My flesh and my heart fail... but God is the strength of my life and my portion forever!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5969 users online. 345 members and 5624 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X