Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• acceptable oral board answer??

Here's my question for you:

I have been asked on a prior oral board what the greatest accomplishment of my life was....I had said college and how even though times were stressful, I stuck with it and got my degree.

Now what I've read from this forum and many others is that they want this answer to be based on something applicable to law enforcement. Like being on a championship basketball team (using team work). What kind of answers are they looking for on this question?

Thanks for the help!
    "Concentrate on what cannot lie.....the evidence."

Acceptable Oral Board Answer

Originally posted by patten2002 View Post
    Here's my question for you:

I have been asked on a prior oral board what the greatest accomplishment of my life was....I had said college and how even though times were stressful, I stuck with it and got my degree.

Now what I've read from this forum and many others is that they want this answer to be based on something applicable to law enforcement. Like being on a championship basketball team (using team work). What kind of answers are they looking for on this question?

Thanks for the help!
    Your answer sounds pretty good to me, and I'd certainly accept it. You can get some pretty advice here on the forums, but at the end of the day, YOU have to convince the Oral Board. If your answer is truthful and sincere, chances are, it's the right one.

Comment

When's the last time you were scared?

If my answers are good, then I don't know what the problem is.

If I get asked: "Tell me the last time you were scared and how did you handle yourself?" The only thing I could tell the board was one time I was sitting at a stoplight in the #1 lane waiting for the light to turn green and out of nowhere, this red truck came roaring passed me on my right hand side and just crashed into a tree. At first, I was stunned. Then I got out of my car after putting my hazard lights on, looked to see if the woman was conscious and dialed 9-1-1.

Quite honestly, I haven't been scared unless it was my mother trying to scare me from around the corner. There was the one time where it was really late at my apartment complex and I heard glass shattering while I was on the phone...I went out to investigate and found two punks who were high as a kite and busted the outside box to the fire extinguisher. I have NO clue how I'd answer a question like this...

Comment

Originally posted by patten2002 View Post
        If my answers are good, then I don't know what the problem is.

If I get asked: "Tell me the last time you were scared and how did you handle yourself?" The only thing I could tell the board was one time I was sitting at a stoplight in the #1 lane waiting for the light to turn green and out of nowhere, this red truck came roaring passed me on my right hand side and just crashed into a tree. At first, I was stunned. Then I got out of my car after putting my hazard lights on, looked to see if the woman was conscious and dialed 9-1-1.

Quite honestly, I haven't been scared unless it was my mother trying to scare me from around the corner. There was the one time where it was really late at my apartment complex and I heard glass shattering while I was on the phone...I went out to investigate and found two punks who were high as a kite and busted the outside box to the fire extinguisher. I have NO clue how I'd answer a question like this...
        Scenario #1 sounds like a pretty reasonable response to me. #2 with the kids. Why not go back to your apartment and call the cops? They're not looking for Wonder Woman, just reasonable responses .

Comment

Interesting thought....

LOL that's an interesting response...haven't got called Wonder Woman before, so that's cool.

Back to topic, I didn't call the cops because one of the guys was getting the situation under control...cleaning up the glass, getting his friend under control. My neighbor had already called our night security to write up a report. I did tell them though that the local PD does patrol through our complex and if they keep this up, I'm going to call the police.

Comment

Your answer about college is fine!

Regarding the other situation, if your unsure how the interviewers will take your answer, don't mention that

Not to get too personal in a public forum, but for me, being scared was when a family member got very sick.

Good Luck

Comment

oral boards are not about answering questions as if you were or thinking like a LEO. some of the questions asked may put you in that "LEO frame of mind" but not all (like the hypothetical - what would you do...)

your answer to the college question was good.

insofar as being scared - that's a wide open question, family member suddenly very ill or your reply on the vandals you encountered - what you felt, what did you do or not do and why.

the oral board process is to learn a little about yourself, your education / training and to evaluate your reasoning skills, thinking process, etc.

keep on with the oral boards, learn from them.

good luck
              ''Life's tough......it's tougher if you're stupid.''
              -- John Wayne

Comment

Its a relief to hear that my answer to that question was that of a good one. I have written down the 8 or 9 questions (of the total 12) the panel asked me and I know how I gave my response....maybe one of you would be so kind to review my answers? Is there a possibility that I could have given a lot of great answers but not have scored me high? I ask because I asked a lieutenant that worked for the same department I was applying for, and he thought my answers were right up the alley, dead on, that I passed with flying colors and I'd get into backgrounds.

Please lemee know if you'd help me. I could email you the questions w/my answers and you can just read it from a Word document or something...

Thank you much!

Comment

Yeah your answers seem fine. Here is a list of info I was given by my dept prior to the actual oral interview.

Be Prepared
                  Investigate the position
                  Read the Recruitment Literature
                  Talk with Deputies
                  Consider participating in a Ride-A-Long Program
                  Take a Jail Facility Tour

Areas of Evaluation
                  Your interest in the position
                  Your appearance, grooming, and attire
                  Attitude and demeanor
                  Communication Skills
                  Professionalism

Possible Areas of Questioning
                  Departmental knowledge
                  What do you understand to be the duties of a Deputy Sheriff?
                  Why do you want to be a Deputy?
                  Why did you choose Law Enforcement as a Career?
                  What have you done to prepare yourself for the position?
                  What will be the most challenging aspect for you in becoming a Deputy Sheriff?

Duties of a Deputy Sheriff
                  Demonstrate interest in the position by your familiarity with the duties of a Deputy Sheriff: Assists in supervising the conduct of inmates, preservation of life, recovery of stolen property, preserve public peace, detect and arrest violators of the law

Appropriate Grooming
                  It is not mandatory but it is helpful if the canidate meets Departmental grooming standards. Remember First Impressions ARE important.

DO
                  Be polite and courteous
                  Make eye contact with board members
                  Be honest
                  Take time to think before you speak

Comment

yeah send me the answers through private message, I'll get to it asap

Comment

That is so kind of you! I won't be able to do it til I get home from work today around 5:30pm. I hope that is alright. If it isn't too presumptuous, do you mind if I could get your email? The forum only allows you to type so many characters in a message. Thank you much!

~Kristin

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3143 users online. 182 members and 2961 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X