Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn’t Connecticut State Police just hiring? Did you consider applying with them?

Comment

Originally posted by MisdemeanorMike View Post
      Wasn’t Connecticut State Police just hiring? Did you consider applying with them?
      From what I've been told, you really have to have your life in order at 23 to get hired by them (or be a female, which they're under extreme pressure to hire more of). Usually the youngest person graduating in one of their Trooper classes is 24 or 25 y/o, and most of them seem to have bachelor degrees or prior law enforcement experience. I figured I didn't have much of a chance. I'm more interested in municipal policing anyhow, but I wouldn't rule out their agency if I did obtain a bachelor's or once I already have law enforcement experience.

Oddly enough, they are the only agency in the state (and perhaps in New England) that does not have an oral board or department interview panel. So I'm not sure how they determine your type of character, maturity, personal experiences and other factors in hiring (perhaps from the background investigation and psychological evaluation).
      Last edited by NickG0103; 04-19-2020, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Yeah I don’t know how the CSP really decides who gets in and who doesn’t. I know their process is similar to NY where there’s no interview, but some people are eliminated in the NYSP hiring process for “lack of maturity” during the background phase. At the same time, I graduated with 21 and 22 year olds who were waiters or fresh out of college before applying. So you never know. That being said, if you are only interested in municipal policing, then state police probably isn’t for you.

Comment

Originally posted by MisdemeanorMike View Post
          Yeah I don’t know how the CSP really decides who gets in and who doesn’t. I know their process is similar to NY where there’s no interview, but some people are eliminated in the NYSP hiring process for “lack of maturity” during the background phase. At the same time, I graduated with 21 and 22 year olds who were waiters or fresh out of college before applying. So you never know. That being said, if you are only interested in municipal policing, then state police probably isn’t for you.
          I think they might weight the test scores for the written test and physical agility test combined, and then maybe create a shortlist based on backgrounds. I'm not ruling out applying to them completely. I have utmost respect for state troopers, but I realize their main focus is traffic enforcement, and it's mostly confined to the state's highways (resident troopers exist in CT but I don't think that's usually a post a trooper trainee can get).

I'm going to see what happens with the current agency I'm applying for. If this doesn't work out, I'm going to get my CHIP card and apply to 2-3 departments within a short period.

With the coronavirus, all of the set test dates for the written, physical agility and oral board are "to be announced". I expect things to be stagnant until June at the earliest.

Thank you everyone that's responded to this thread and gave me input, I appreciate it a lot. This site has proven to be a good resource.
          Last edited by NickG0103; 04-19-2020, 09:15 PM.

Comment

• Zeitgeist1
            Zeitgeist1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Keep your head up. Something will happen. Keep looking for ways to be competitive. Learn a second or third language, working toward your degree etc.

Hi everyone,

I've made some progress since I created this topic.

I scored high on the written test for the agency that I applied to, and I also did very well on the physical agility test. I had my oral board interview weeks ago, and just yesterday I got the news that I passed it. It seems to be a significant obstacle for quite a few people on here, so I was a bit skeptical that I could pass one on my second attempt. I took what L-1 posted for advice regarding oral boards, and made sure I displayed some of those traits in my answers. Thank you for sharing that.

I've been invited to my background meeting, which is in the coming days. I'm not sure what to expect, but I assume it entails a background packet and reference checks. A polygraph is also included in this phase, but I'm not sure if it's conducted at the beginning of this process or after they've already investigated everything.

I was hoping I could get some input on one thing. Should I ask the background unit if it's possible to not contact my current employer until later in the process (when an offer of employment is more likely)? I know some agencies have no issue doing this, but I also don't want to be a "burden" as an applicant. My company doesn't necessarily walk employees out the door as soon as they find out they're looking for other jobs (at least not that I know of), but I may experience some awkwardness or other complications if my manager found out.

Last edited by NickG0103; 11-11-2020, 05:13 PM.

Comment

If you ask, many BIs will make the employer contact one of the last things they do. It's not going to be held off until an offer of employment is imminent as that offer will be predicated on passing the background and the time lag between passing the background and actually making the offer may be months.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

It's hard to believe it's almost been a year since I applied to this agency, I'm getting near the finish line. A conditional offer of employment was sent to me in December.

I passed the polygraph and the psychological evaluation. I'm getting sent for a "pre-employment drug screening/medical evaluation" next week. All that remains after that is the Chief's interview and subsequent pre-academy agility test. The agency is looking to hire 20-25 officers from the current candidate pool, so I feel pretty good about my chances.

Comment

Congrats on the progress...

Comment

Good luck to you.

Comment

I received good news from my BI today, she told me my Medical Evaluation has been cleared.

She said all that remains is the pre-academy agility test, which will be in May (within 30 days of academy start date). It's the same agility test I took in September, but CT POST requires another test to be administered before academy start dates.

She said the academy itself will start around June.
                    Last edited by NickG0103; 03-03-2021, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
                        Congrats!!
                        Thanks!

Comment

I got hired! All 25 of us passed the pre-academy agility test over the weekend, and the Chief's interview was today. I got my acceptance letter, and I'll be sworn in and begin training on Monday, May 24th. It's a decent class size and I'm really excited to start.

To anyone out there feeling uncertain about themselves, believe in yourself... something that I often didn't do.

Comment

• Aidokea
                            Aidokea commented
                            Editing a comment
                            FWIW, my academy for the agency I retired from, started with 22 and graduated 6. Not long after FTO, we were down to 5...

• NickG0103
                            NickG0103 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Yeah I know in some states, the academies really cut down the recruits. The background team at this department told all of us that usually 1-2 people fail/drop out of the academy, and very few people ever fail FTO.

Originally posted by NickG0103 View Post
                          I got hired! All 25 of us passed the pre-academy agility test over the weekend, and the Chief's interview was today. I got my acceptance letter, and I'll be sworn in and begin training on Monday, May 24th. It's a decent class size and I'm really excited to start.

To anyone out there feeling uncertain about themselves, believe in yourself... something that I often didn't do.

Considering the state of policing in this country, I'm not sure if I should congratulate you or give you my condolences.

Either way, you should be proud of your achievement. Now the work begins. Good luck!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4874 users online. 291 members and 4583 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X