300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejected

I was rejected based on the fact that I put down on the application that I smoke. I consider myself a smoker because I have an occasional cigar. Now the letter I got indicated that they dq people that simply use tobaco products. Is it worth it to contact the civil service examiner that sent me the letter and explain that I am not an addict?

Are you seriously telling us you were dq'd for being a smoker? I have never heard of that. At least not around here. The only way that would bring the hammer down around here is if you smoked so much that you couldnt do the pt test.
    John 3:16

Comment

I can't understand either. But yes, I was dq'd for being a smoker. I'm not even addicted. I only put down that I am a smoker because I take the occasional cigar or cigarette with my friends (maybe once a week). This question was part of the application. It wasn't even the background packet. Heck, I haven't even done an oral board for the dept. yet.

Comment

I think it is a sign of the times. I have heard of departments that I believe give incentives for non-smokers but I have not yet heard of the departments that will flat out disqualify people.
        I am not suprised that this is happening now. Look at all the villages, cities, that are passing no smoking ordinances.
        I personally think it would be better to have stricter regulations on alcohol. I have never handled an accident in which someone has, due to being under the influence of a cigarrette, crashed a car.
        I think it would probably be a waste of time to contact the recruiter and advise him that you are not addicted. If it would make you feel better by all means try. Atleast you would know that you put forth the effort. Alot of departments out there. Just press on and keep trying.
        Prov 17:17 A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.

Comment

when i applied to a county here, before i took the written test, they made us sign a waiver that we are NOT to use any tobbacco product on or off duty...if we agree, sign the line, if we disagree, sign the other line (then remove yourself from the room) im thinking maybe that a department that is smoke free, gets better insurance costs? i'm not sure
          dubbed code name: Alien #69

Comment

Originally posted by 99 Fenix View Post
            when i applied to a county here, before i took the written test, they made us sign a waiver that we are NOT to use any tobbacco product on or off duty...if we agree, sign the line, if we disagree, sign the other line (then remove yourself from the room) im thinking maybe that a department that is smoke free, gets better insurance costs? i'm not sure
            I am familiar with departments in IL that ban employees from smoking on or off duty. All about health insurance costs. The department he applied to must receive a lot of applications for their openings.

WICop

Comment

Sorry to hear that... But departments are limiting thier insurance risk by not hiring smokers and dippers. My department requires that an applicant be tobacco free for a min. of six months prior to submitting an app. for employment. Prior to submitting your next applicaiton, check on ALL of the requirements for the job.
              "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by Blueribbon View Post
                Sorry to hear that... But departments are limiting thier insurance risk by not hiring smokers and dippers. My department requires that an applicant be tobacco free for a min. of six months prior to submitting an app. for employment. Prior to submitting your next applicaiton, check on ALL of the requirements for the job.
                It just seems to me like another way to weed out applicants. They must get alot of applicants
                "Damned if you do and damned if you dont"

Comment

Not true... I've seen the numbers from the bean counters on our health insurance and by having a tabacco free policy saves the department over $300K a year and the employees share of the expense of more than $75/mo. Regretfully, many good applicants are turned away. BTW, we're short officers and are always hiring.
                  "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Well I called the civil service examiner, the one that wrote me the letter. She said that they have to turn a lot of people away for tobacco use. I told her that I consider myself a smoker simply because I have an occasional cigar or cigarette with my friends at the most once a week. I also told her that I am not addicted and would stop completely if hired. She said their policy wasn't necessarily meant to exclude me from the process. She said to write her a letter reiterating what I had just told her and she would bring it up in the next civil service commission meeting. If the commission oks it I could get back on their eligibility list.

Comment

Rejected

Originally posted by savage4presiden View Post
                      Well I called the civil service examiner, the one that wrote me the letter. She said that they have to turn a lot of people away for tobacco use. I told her that I consider myself a smoker simply because I have an occasional cigar or cigarette with my friends at the most once a week. I also told her that I am not addicted and would stop completely if hired. She said their policy wasn't necessarily meant to exclude me from the process. She said to write her a letter reiterating what I had just told her and she would bring it up in the next civil service commission meeting. If the commission oks it I could get back on their eligibility list.
                      You've posted on a few other threads with narratives concerning your DQs with various agencies. I don't wish to accuse you of having "Issues", but you seem to be having terrible luck with the hiring process. Have you ever wondered why?

Comment

Well, so far I was dq'd by two departments. One during a background interview and the other for smoking which I hope to sort out and get back on their list. Currently, I am still undergoing a background investigation for Seattle Police. I think I have a good chance there. So I beg to differ. Terrible luck? No.

Comment

I highly doubt that Philip was attempting to take your character into question, I think he was mainly referring to your subsequent issues with various parts of the application processes.

Congrats on your chance with Seattle Police, just be sure to use the DQ's as a means to do better in the processes that you are currently working on. I went through a ton of processes and looked at a DQ not necessarily as a bad thing, but as a learning experience to help me do better next time.

Good Luck!
                          The above comments reflect the personal, off-the-record, unofficial opinions of the individual posting them only, and in no way, shape, or form should be taken to indicate any particular opinion, policy, or belief by the poster's or any other agency, governmental entity, organization, or corporation. Thank you and have a nice day.

Comment

Originally posted by InfiniteTeach View Post
                            I highly doubt that Philip was attempting to take your character into question, I think he was mainly referring to your subsequent issues with various parts of the application processes.

Congrats on your chance with Seattle Police, just be sure to use the DQ's as a means to do better in the processes that you are currently working on. I went through a ton of processes and looked at a DQ not necessarily as a bad thing, but as a learning experience to help me do better next time.

Good Luck!
                            Correct Savage, I'm not impugning your character. You do seem to be having some problems with the process though. Just hoping you could identify/correct what seems to be getting in the way of your success. I'm retired now, so don't have to do that anymore. Hope things work out for you.

Comment

Rejected

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
                              Correct Savage, I'm not impugning your character. You do seem to be having some problems with the process though. Just hoping you could identify/correct what seems to be getting in the way of your success. I'm retired now, so don't have to do that anymore. Hope things work out for you.
                              Savage, let me make an additional suggestion to you. Go back and read some of your other posts on various threads. They're pretty self explanatory, and might account for some of the problems you've been having. If you can do an honest "look in the mirror", you may well be on your way to correcting some of the problems you've encountered. At the end of the day, you don't have to convince any of us of anything. You do have to sell yourself to the agency you're applying to. As I said previously, I hope things work out for you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5800 users online. 315 members and 5485 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X