300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Under the table employment

I've read in several threads that the best course of action to take when you have had an "under the table" job is just to go ahead and declare it. Declare it because it's better to declare it since they really don't care about such things than to have them discover it later.

My question is, "How are they going to discover it later?"

Honestly, a job with no paper trail whatsoever seems like it would be hard for a BI to uncover.

Any thoughts?

Not at all hard to find out. We ask all kinds of questions when doing background interviews of references, acquaintances, employers, etc. You'd be surprised at all the seemingly innocent stuff your friends will tell about, including where you worked.
    183 FBINA

Comment

Working off-duty under the table helped me through some tough times, financially, and I decided to declare it on my taxes. It just felt like the right thing to do.

By declaring the extra income and paying taxes on it, I got more credits toward my social security account. Something I hadn't been able to do since I joined the PD at age 21. When I retire, I'll only have to work for a few months to get me the two remaining cerdits I need for SS.

Now, if only there'll be social security money left to pay out when I hit 65!

But, like ISPCAPT says, during any BI they'll ask where people know you from, they willl reply your "work." They will talk to employers. If the employer seems shady, they'll want to know why. They may not inform the IRS about the employer, or even you, but they may not like the people you have worked for, and hold it against you.
      Last edited by Kieth M.; 05-22-2007, 11:22 AM.
      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

I've had candidate's work under the table and then come to BG's later. They pay the estimated taxes by amending their tax return and it's not an issue. No DQ, no nothin.

The BG doesn't hinge on whether an person can beat the system, it's the beginning of an an ongoing test of an individual's integrity. A officer's integrity is constantly challenged at every call, arrest, court testimony, etc. Agencies aren't looking for people who suddenly become honest after they don a uniform. They're looking for candidate's that can handle the weight of the public's trust. The first test is the BG investigation.

The answer isn't whether the BI will find out; it's whether a person has the integrity to stand the test of the investigation's scrutiny.
        Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
        http://www.policebackground.net
        Facebook page: The Police Applicant Group (North America)

Comment

Keep in mind, 'under the table' work isn't illegal. What's illegal is not reporting income on your taxes. As long as you report it on your tax return, it's not illegal.

However, if you cover it up, they will find out and you will be disqualified for lying.

Comment

There is always the risk of it coming out in court....especially if you end up getting sued. A good defense attorney might bring those issues up in a civil case....You just never know.

Comment

It will come up in the polygraph most likely

Comment

One of the questions on polygraph is "Have you omitted any information on your background packet?", How would you answer that if you omitted an employer? Do you think you would be able to "Beat" the examiner? Honesty and Integrity are the key's to good LEO's. Never, Never, Never LIE. It will get your certification pulled in this state when found out. Your agency has no say on pulling your certification, the POST people do. I would be honest.
                Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

Under the Table Employment

Originally posted by IlonBlue View Post
                  I've read in several threads that the best course of action to take when you have had an "under the table" job is just to go ahead and declare it. Declare it because it's better to declare it since they really don't care about such things than to have them discover it later.

My question is, "How are they going to discover it later?"

Honestly, a job with no paper trail whatsoever seems like it would be hard for a BI to uncover.

Any thoughts?
                  I really cannot emphasize the points previously made too highly. You would probably have paid an attorney a ton of money for the advice you just got here. As a Retired State Officer, I can only second ISPCAPT's post. While not for one moment degrading a local agency's ability to do a great BI, at state level, we often have even more ability to easily get information. For example, if I was doing a BI, and needed to drive to, say Birmingham,(100 miles distant) I just told my Boss I needed to go, and that's what I did. The bottom line is, not so much don't work an "under the table gig", but simply report/pay the taxes on it at the end of the year.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4389 users online. 226 members and 4163 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X