300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An 'inside' look at police recruitment from a city gov't perspective

I thought I'd share this police staffing report I found for the Orange, CA PD.

It's pretty dry but I thought it was an interesting look at the nuts and bolts of police recruitment from the perspective of city hall. This kind of stuff is probably what upper management in LE is all about. If you have an interest in city government and policing, you should enjoy it.
    http://citydocs.cityoforange.org/web...x?id=242795284

Anyway, it quoted some interesting figures (starting on page 11):

> The average annual cost of 1 police officer in the city is $155,102.
    > To add 1 new officer position it costs $181,873 for the first year
    > Only about 20% of job applicants actually make it to an eligibility list and less than 4% were promoted or hired
    > They received over 1400 applications in 1 year
    > Also a chart showing the stats for each position advertised (# of apps, how many eligible, how many hired)

City Government

Originally posted by Gyromite View Post
    I thought I'd share this police staffing report I found for the Orange, CA PD.

It's pretty dry but I thought it was an interesting look at the nuts and bolts of police recruitment from the perspective of city hall. This kind of stuff is probably what upper management in LE is all about. If you have an interest in city government and policing, you should enjoy it.
    http://citydocs.cityoforange.org/web...x?id=242795284

Anyway, it quoted some interesting figures (starting on page 11):

> The average annual cost of 1 police officer in the city is $155,102.
    > To add 1 new officer position it costs $181,873 for the first year
    > Only about 20% of job applicants actually make it to an eligibility list and less than 4% were promoted or hired
    > They received over 1400 applications in 1 year
    > Also a chart showing the stats for each position advertised (# of apps, how many eligible, how many hired)
    Well, now you've gotten to see how the "Bean counters" run government. That's not really a slam on city mangers either. What we saw in that memo is pretty much what his job is all about. That individual Officer, his/her salary, benefits, recruitment, background, training, education, equipment, and more, add up to pretty substantial amounts of money. Consider too, that other department heads want a piece of that budget pie as well. Good post though, I enjoyed reading the memo, as well as your thoughts.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4017 users online. 203 members and 3814 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X