300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appealing Psych DQ

I was just wondering if anyone has failed their psych evaluation, appealed it, and been successful? I just found out recently that I was not recommended by the Dr. who did my eval. I thought the interview went good but after talking it over with some people I realize that I may have not elaborated enough on my explanations for the red flags that were raised. (There were only 3) I was not decisive enough when asked how many times I have driven intoxicated. He asked me the question and as I thought about it he asked, "well?... a hundred times, two hundred, fifty, under fifty?". And I replied, "Definitely well under fifty". But that could have meant 40 or 35! I should have said, about five times, and those were all when I was about 16 and 17. I do not drink and drive now. I hardly even drink at all period. But I did not explain myself well at all and I think that is why I did not pass.

I am going to definately appeal the decision which means I have to see a Dr. out of pocket, and then a third to make the final decision. It's a bummer because it is the last step before the medical, which I was told to still go to this Monday. Does anyone have any knowledge of the appeal process first hand or know anyone that has gone through it and been successful? Any help is much appreciated.

S

Appealing Physc DQ

Originally posted by calinalu View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone has failed their psych evaluation, appealed it, and been successful? I just found out recently that I was not recommended by the Dr. who did my eval. I thought the interview went good but after talking it over with some people I realize that I may have not elaborated enough on my explanations for the red flags that were raised. (There were only 3) I was not decisive enough when asked how many times I have driven intoxicated. He asked me the question and as I thought about it he asked, "well?... a hundred times, two hundred, fifty, under fifty?". And I replied, "Definitely well under fifty". But that could have meant 40 or 35! I should have said, about five times, and those were all when I was about 16 and 17. I do not drink and drive now. I hardly even drink at all period. But I did not explain myself well at all and I think that is why I did not pass.

I am going to definately appeal the decision which means I have to see a Dr. out of pocket, and then a third to make the final decision. It's a bummer because it is the last step before the medical, which I was told to still go to this Monday. Does anyone have any knowledge of the appeal process first hand or know anyone that has gone through it and been successful? Any help is much appreciated.

S
    I hope another one of our member's (L-1) will pick up on your post. You need to be aware of any time frame for appealing the DQ, and in addition to the Doctor, it might be advisable to retain an attorney who does employment law. The department you applied to, should be able to provide you with information relative to an appeal.

Comment

Appealing is not as simple as picking another doctor, having him say you are psychologically fit and then assuming that this will counteract the department's doctor. There is a lot more to it than that.

First, you need to hire an attorney who is well versed in civil service law and who knows which physicians are helpful in appeals of this nature. He will direct you to a doctor who is: knowledgeable about law enforcement psych needs; knows civil service law; can write reports and testify within those parameters; and who has credibility in the eyes of a civil service appeals board. Based on the new doctor's report you attorney can proceed accordingly.

Try calling the Peace Officers Research Association of California at 1-800-937-6722 or (916) 928-3777. They can direct you to a civil service attorney in your area.

Finally, to give you and idea about the evaluation criteria commonly used in psych exams, check out:

http://www.post.ca.gov/selection/psy...cal-traits.pdf
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I just checked out that site and man that is good stuff! Thanks

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7599 users online. 405 members and 7194 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X