Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Academy

Hello all,

I applied to be on a waiting list for my local police academy here in Pennsylvania. I had a few questions hoping some of you would be able to answer. My first question is I have an interview coming up in the next few weeks and I'm not sure on what I should wear or how can I prepare myself for this interview.

Also another thing that scares me is that when someone puts themself through the police academy, and thousands of dollars later they aren't guaranteed a job which I understand. But what are the chances of getting a job after getting the certification? Can I apply nationwide or just in this state?

Lastly I was thinking of getting my associates in CJ then putting myself through the academy. But I was also thinking about completing the academy and hopefully land a job while going to school.

Thanks all

Police Academy

For your interview, I would suggest suit and tie. Have a haircut, be cleanly shaved, nails trimmed, shoes shined. The Academy. Self sponsorship, which is what you're contemplating, is no guarantee you'll be hired later. It is kind of a crap shoot. Agencies such as the Pennsylvania State Police, and perhaps some larger cities will require you to attend their academies , whether or not you have attended a previous Academy. Your completion of the Academy is not recognized nationwide. It's possible it would be recognized in another state. That will depend on that state's recognizing Pennsylvania Minimum Standards. Much of the answer to that question depends on reciprocity. The decision to put off applying until you complete your CJ is yours to make. Keep in mind too, that having a CJ Degree isn't going to really help you all that much. Any Liberal Arts degree will do just as well as a CJ degree, sometimes better.

Comment

Suit and tie for an interview... a must. Also, FYI... Your PA academy without a min. of one year full time/continious employment as an LEO in PA will not cross over in Florida. You'd be required to attend a full course at a Florida academy.
      Second, as PhilipCal states... Self-sponsorship does not equate to employment as an LEO. Keep in mind about 50% of a class won't make it to graduation and then only about 50% of them will get hired.
      As for education, attaining an AA/AS is a plus (major is not that important).
      "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5194 users online. 293 members and 4901 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X