• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PhilipCal
    replied
    Security Experience

Originally posted by Blueribbon View Post
    Take it one step at a time... (If I'm DQ'd??) Is there something in your background that is going to prevent you from being hired (physical/BI)? A security job may or may not help you and it has been stated that a solid work history is important. The military is always a great option!
    Correct. The Military is also looks far better on a job history than does private security.

Leave a comment:

• Blueribbon
    replied
    Take it one step at a time... (If I'm DQ'd??) Is there something in your background that is going to prevent you from being hired (physical/BI)? A security job may or may not help you and it has been stated that a solid work history is important. The military is always a great option!

Leave a comment:

• DetectorAz
    replied
    Security Officers are a dime a dozen, LEO's generally don't see them in a good light. They tend to be the one's that want to be LEO's but just don't measure up to the standards. I would stay stable in your current employment and of course do community service. As an LEO, your entire job is community service for very little pay compared to many other fields of employment.

Leave a comment:

• sabbs_88
    replied
    Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
    Military.

i enlisted in the Marine Corps reserve. i know i wont get my vets status, but maybe if i get activated then i will get my vets status

Leave a comment:

• CruiserClass
    replied
    Originally posted by sabbs_88 View Post
    why wouldnt it help? what jobs would you prefer to work for as a stepping stone into law enforcement?
    Military.

Leave a comment:

• S.O.444
    replied
    I worked both loss prevention as well as contract security before getting hired on with my agency. From my experience, contract security is full of goof-offs and wanna-be's. Granted, there are some good security officers out there, but they are few and far between.

In my hiring process, I didn't feel that it helped or hurt me. It was just another job that (barely) paid the bills.

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    Security Experience

Originally posted by sabbs_88 View Post
    why wouldnt it help? what jobs would you prefer to work for as a stepping stone into law enforcement?
    Private security is not held in particularly high esteem by most Police Officers or agencies. The reasons are many and varied, and have been discussed in other threads. What will help you? Any job that involves public contact, and dealing with people on a regular basis. Build a record of steady and reliable performance in the job. This can be almost anything. Customer Service at a retail outlet, technician at an quick lube/ oil change franchise, flipping burgers for Ronald Mc Donald. Take a look at volunteering in the community, perhaps through your church or civic group. If you're attending college or university, take a look at interning with the Campus Police, or working as a student aide etc. If you absolutely must work private security, it isn't the kiss of death, it just really isn't going to help you get into Law Enforcement that much. Understand, these are my rather private perspectives. Other guys may have other ideas. Listen to those as well. Good Luck!!

Leave a comment:

• sabbs_88
    replied
    Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
    What agencies are looking for is solid, dependable, work historys. Working in the private security industry will not give you a leg up over other candidates.What I am saying is, don't go into private security solely for the purpose of later entering law enforcement. It simply doesn't really help.

Leave a comment:

• PhilipCal
    replied
    Security Experience

What agencies are looking for is solid, dependable, work historys. Working in the private security industry will not give you a leg up over other candidates.What I am saying is, don't go into private security solely for the purpose of later entering law enforcement. It simply doesn't really help.

Leave a comment:

• exComptonCop
    replied
    What departments/agencies are typically looking for is good, solid, stable employment. Being a SO, won't necessarily help, but it won't hurt either.

Leave a comment:

• InspctrClouseau
    started a topic Security Experience?

Security Experience?

I have recently applied for a Detention Officer position with my Sheriffs Office so I can gain some GOOD experience in LE. I don't see why I wouldn't get hired, seeing as they need hundreds of officers here. However, if for some reason I'm DQd or whatever, do you folks think working in security would be a plus when applying to be a police officer position down the road? I'm 22 and I have over 4 years of work experience, all in customer service, 1 year as a supervisor.
    I hear from some people that it doesn't really matter, others say it does. Any ideas? Thanks!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4942 users online. 276 members and 4666 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X