300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Experience?

I have recently applied for a Detention Officer position with my Sheriffs Office so I can gain some GOOD experience in LE. I don't see why I wouldn't get hired, seeing as they need hundreds of officers here. However, if for some reason I'm DQd or whatever, do you folks think working in security would be a plus when applying to be a police officer position down the road? I'm 22 and I have over 4 years of work experience, all in customer service, 1 year as a supervisor.
    I hear from some people that it doesn't really matter, others say it does. Any ideas? Thanks!

What departments/agencies are typically looking for is good, solid, stable employment. Being a SO, won't necessarily help, but it won't hurt either.
    "Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought" ~Henri Louis Bergson

ComptonPOLICEGANGS.com

Comment

Security Experience

What agencies are looking for is solid, dependable, work historys. Working in the private security industry will not give you a leg up over other candidates.What I am saying is, don't go into private security solely for the purpose of later entering law enforcement. It simply doesn't really help.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipCal View Post
        What agencies are looking for is solid, dependable, work historys. Working in the private security industry will not give you a leg up over other candidates.What I am saying is, don't go into private security solely for the purpose of later entering law enforcement. It simply doesn't really help.
        why wouldnt it help? what jobs would you prefer to work for as a stepping stone into law enforcement?

Comment

Security Experience

Originally posted by sabbs_88 View Post
          why wouldnt it help? what jobs would you prefer to work for as a stepping stone into law enforcement?
          Private security is not held in particularly high esteem by most Police Officers or agencies. The reasons are many and varied, and have been discussed in other threads. What will help you? Any job that involves public contact, and dealing with people on a regular basis. Build a record of steady and reliable performance in the job. This can be almost anything. Customer Service at a retail outlet, technician at an quick lube/ oil change franchise, flipping burgers for Ronald Mc Donald. Take a look at volunteering in the community, perhaps through your church or civic group. If you're attending college or university, take a look at interning with the Campus Police, or working as a student aide etc. If you absolutely must work private security, it isn't the kiss of death, it just really isn't going to help you get into Law Enforcement that much. Understand, these are my rather private perspectives. Other guys may have other ideas. Listen to those as well. Good Luck!!

Comment

I worked both loss prevention as well as contract security before getting hired on with my agency. From my experience, contract security is full of goof-offs and wanna-be's. Granted, there are some good security officers out there, but they are few and far between.

In my hiring process, I didn't feel that it helped or hurt me. It was just another job that (barely) paid the bills.

Comment

Originally posted by sabbs_88 View Post
              Military.
              I miss you, Dave.
              http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                Military.

i enlisted in the Marine Corps reserve. i know i wont get my vets status, but maybe if i get activated then i will get my vets status

Comment

Security Officers are a dime a dozen, LEO's generally don't see them in a good light. They tend to be the one's that want to be LEO's but just don't measure up to the standards. I would stay stable in your current employment and of course do community service. As an LEO, your entire job is community service for very little pay compared to many other fields of employment.
                  Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

Take it one step at a time... (If I'm DQ'd??) Is there something in your background that is going to prevent you from being hired (physical/BI)? A security job may or may not help you and it has been stated that a solid work history is important. The military is always a great option!
                    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Security Experience

Originally posted by Blueribbon View Post
                      Take it one step at a time... (If I'm DQ'd??) Is there something in your background that is going to prevent you from being hired (physical/BI)? A security job may or may not help you and it has been stated that a solid work history is important. The military is always a great option!
                      Correct. The Military is also looks far better on a job history than does private security.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6348 users online. 367 members and 5981 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X