Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OTH discharge and becoming a police officer?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OTH discharge and becoming a police officer?

Last edited by Austin Parrick; 02-06-2020, 09:50 AM.

Yes, it could have a significant impact. You need to work through your chain of command to resolve your problem.

Comment

Technically if you stop going, you're AWOL. That wouldn't bode too well

Comment

You made a significant commitment and didn't follow through. Yes, that's going to be an issue. Despite your previous honorable. What happens when midnight shift becomes a strain? Patrol division becomes a strain? Court appearances become a strain? You just not going to show up? Not trying to be a jerk, but you should expect those questions from every agency.

Comment

Originally posted by ThinBlue404 View Post
          You made a significant commitment and didn't follow through. Yes, that's going to be an issue. Despite your previous honorable. What happens when midnight shift becomes a strain? Patrol division becomes a strain? Court appearances become a strain? You just not going to show up? Not trying to be a jerk, but you should expect those questions from every agency.
          This.

When I come in at the end of my shift, hot, sweaty, and tired, looking forward to my wife, my dinner, my beer, and my pillow...and then I get ordered to hold over and work another 8 hours, the only answer I can give is "Yes sir". When it happens three nights in a row, and I've got double vision from working 51 hours in three days on almost no sleep, and have to have my wife come pick me up because I can't drive, that is just what is expected.

Bagging out on your military commitment, would give any reasonable person cause for concern regarding your ability to do what we do.

If you want to become a cop, you're just gonna have to suck it up and deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Parrick View Post
            I was active duty for 4 years, served and got out honorably. I enlisted into the reserves shortly after getting off active duty. Since then drilling has become a huge strain. I dont want to get into details and am not going to beat around the Bush. If I stopped showing up to drill and recieved a OTH discharge for unsat participation, would that hinder my chances of becoming a police officer in the future? Even with my honorable from Active Duty?
            The odds of getting hired in this field with an OTH discharge are very, very slim. I've seen this several times.

Comment

You'd be toast at my agency. Besides the fact that you'd be competing against plenty off applicants without the baggage of an OTH, we as an agency take oaths and obligations very seriously. I can't think of a BI who would recommend someone with an OTH with so many other options out there for a drilling reservist/guardsman.

Also, not sure if it's still the case, but in the day reservists could be brought onto active duty to face UCMJ action. If you went AWOL as you are considering, what is to stop your unit from filing for an AWOL warrant and having you arrested, put on orders and serve out your time that way?

Comment

Originally posted by Austin Parrick View Post
                I enlisted into the reserves shortly after getting off active duty. Since then drilling has become a huge strain.
                You think police work doesn’t become a huge strain? Do you think making plans with your family on your upcoming off days only to find out your shift is short-staffed and you are called in to work extra shifts on your off days isn’t a strain? What about getting told by your shift sergeant after a long and tiring shift that they’re going to need you to work mandatory overtime (oh, and due to budget cuts you’ll only be getting comp time, not overtime pay); that not a strain?

HUGE red flags with you, Austin.

sigpic

Comment

OTH means "other than honorable". Enough said?

Comment

I know a couple people who got hired with general discharges, based on the specific circumstance. OTH is going to be a no-go.

...and if you stop drilling you're AWOL for those UTAs. Believe it or not, depending on how the paperwork is filed, that can be a federal felony conviction.

If you went AWOL as you are considering, what is to stop your unit from filing for an AWOL warrant and having you arrested, put on orders and serve out your time that way?
                    For a while reserve and guard units would just process an administrative discharge, or even keep them on the books as "ghost" troops so manning looked good. Then 9/11 happened and units were caught out understrength, commanders were cashiered and it was a huge mess. With the high optempo reserve component units are facing these days and more strict oversight from higher things have tightened up. I know several reserve component commanders who have cut active duty orders for an AWOL, convicted them, had them serve their time in a federal facility, then given them a BCD.

Imagine being a part time commo geek sentenced to 6 months in the Marine brig on MCB Camp Pendleton.
                    Last edited by tanksoldier; 02-12-2020, 04:09 PM.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Regardless of an agency decision there may be a statutory prohibition. State law may not allow certifying someone with an OTH. Even if your dad is the sheriff it still may be impossible.

Comment

Deleting the OP....................................
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• Aidokea
                          Aidokea commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ah, but the internet is forever...

• Zeitgeist1
                          Zeitgeist1 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Look at my post. I captured the original question.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10715 users online. 338 members and 10377 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X