Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I screwed myself

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I screwed myself



    So I’m in the USMC Reserves, going to college to get my Bachelor’s in Criminal Justice. I won’t apply to be a LEO until the next 3-4 years. And I’ve been stressing myself out for some reason now because I was thinking about the personal background check and polygraph. A couple years ago (I was 17-18) I stole money from my job.. I do not remember how much but let’s say $250?(not all at once) Never got caught but I’m literally doing all these things in order to become a LEO but NOW is when I have all these questions. Note when I do apply it’ll be like 6 years apart from when I stole. I don’t know if I’ll get charged since I admitted it or be disqualified? Idk. I’m not a criminal I’ve only gotten one speeding ticket in the 5 years I’ve been driving. I’m honestly a good guy. But I kind of screwed myself now that I think about it. I was in a low place with a bad influence of a girlfriend (now ex thank god) but I’m just stressing about this a lot. Whenever I do apply in the upcoming years I will be honest about what I did because I know that’s the whole point of it. Yes I was 17-18 and i know I should’ve known better but that was before I joined the Corps and I like to say I matured so much since then. And I’m going to apply when I’m about 25-26 so there’ll be a good amount of time between then. I’ve been keeping my nose clean

  • #2
    Originally posted by Var98 View Post

    So I’m in the USMC Reserves, going to college to get my Bachelor’s in Criminal Justice. I won’t apply to be a LEO until the next 3-4 years. And I’ve been stressing myself out for some reason now because I was thinking about the personal background check and polygraph. A couple years ago (I was 17-18) I stole money from my job.. I do not remember how much but let’s say $250?(not all at once) Never got caught but I’m literally doing all these things in order to become a LEO but NOW is when I have all these questions. Note when I do apply it’ll be like 6 years apart from when I stole. I don’t know if I’ll get charged since I admitted it or be disqualified? Idk. I’m not a criminal I’ve only gotten one speeding ticket in the 5 years I’ve been driving. I’m honestly a good guy. But I kind of screwed myself now that I think about it. I was in a low place with a bad influence of a girlfriend (now ex thank god) but I’m just stressing about this a lot. Whenever I do apply in the upcoming years I will be honest about what I did because I know that’s the whole point of it. Yes I was 17-18 and i know I should’ve known better but that was before I joined the Corps and I like to say I matured so much since then. And I’m going to apply when I’m about 25-26 so there’ll be a good amount of time between then. I’ve been keeping my nose clean
    Misdemeanor Theft so the Statute of Limitations will have expired. So no on being charged. I suggest changing Majors. Have a plan B. Having stolen something from an employer at age 18 would be a perm. DQ at my dept.

    Comment


    • #3
      Stay in the Corps, get your degree in Anything other than CJ, and try to go to OCS; maybe MP.

      Theft from an employer, especially money, will be very hard to get around.

      Comment


      • #4
        Just tell them it was all your ex's fault. She was soulless corpse who led you into a very dark place and made you do things you regret. They'll understand, as everyone knows even the best of men can fall prey to a toxic woman. Heck, ever read the Bible? David the King of Israel killed his buddy Uriah because of the saucy temptress Bethshaba. The harlot almost destroyed the House of David, had Joab not killed Absalom.

        Seriously, dude, you need to own your actions and stop with the lame excuses.

        Once you do that, then you will be able to focus on goals and strategies. Yes, the odds are very low you will be able to get a LE job in today's world. But that doesn't mean you won't be successful doing something else.

        I've told this story before but I'll tell it again: I grew up with a couple of guys named John and Kenny. John wanted nothing more in life than to be a FBI agent and Kenny wanted nothing more than to become a state trooper. From 10th grade on, that's all they ever talked about.

        Well, fast forward a few years. John joined a fraternity in college and got arrested when he and some other Theta Chi brothers broke into the athletic building and stole several trophies as part of some frat stunt. Kenny got arrested for DUI after a night of meaningless drinking. In an instant, their LE dreams evaporated like fog in the morning sun.

        Fast forward to today: John has done very well in sales. Kenny owns a construction business. Both live comfortably and have nice big houses. Neither regret how things worked out; in fact, now both are grateful they didn't go into LE.

        The world is full of teachers who wanted to be NFL players and electricians who wanted to be lead singers in the next Rolling Stones. Get a grip and get over your girlfriend and take control of your future. There's no shame in putting the past behind you, but there is shame in not being honest with yourself.
        Chance favors the prepared mind.

        -Louis Pasteur

        Comment


        • Zeitgeist1
          Zeitgeist1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Great post.

      • #5
        No one is going to prosecute you for the thefts, but expect just about everyone to DQ you. Theft from an employer is a huge issue. Change majors.

        Comment


        • #6
          If this is something you absolutely have to do and can't see yourself anywhere else, I'd recommend going to work at a state prison for a good while and then maybe a smaller agency will be more accepting as long as you keep your nose clean. And change majors, seems like all of us have criminal justice degrees, it doesn't stand out. But if I'm talking to someone who is interested and they say they have some other kind of degree, like a foreign language or STEM, that will really get my attention.

          Or if you still want to work in public service but can give up the law enforcement dream, go to EMT and paramedic school. Pay is a bit less but it is also a very rewarding career.

          Comment


          • #7
            Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
            Just tell them it was all your ex's fault. She was soulless corpse who led you into a very dark place and made you do things you regret. They'll understand, as everyone knows even the best of men can fall prey to a toxic woman. Heck, ever read the Bible? David the King of Israel killed his buddy Uriah because of the saucy temptress Bethshaba. The harlot almost destroyed the House of David, had Joab not killed Absalom.

            Seriously, dude, you need to own your actions and stop with the lame excuses.

            Once you do that, then you will be able to focus on goals and strategies. Yes, the odds are very low you will be able to get a LE job in today's world. But that doesn't mean you won't be successful doing something else.

            I've told this story before but I'll tell it again: I grew up with a couple of guys named John and Kenny. John wanted nothing more in life than to be a FBI agent and Kenny wanted nothing more than to become a state trooper. From 10th grade on, that's all they ever talked about.

            Well, fast forward a few years. John joined a fraternity in college and got arrested when he and some other Theta Chi brothers broke into the athletic building and stole several trophies as part of some frat stunt. Kenny got arrested for DUI after a night of meaningless drinking. In an instant, their LE dreams evaporated like fog in the morning sun.

            Fast forward to today: John has done very well in sales. Kenny owns a construction business. Both live comfortably and have nice big houses. Neither regret how things worked out; in fact, now both are grateful they didn't go into LE.

            The world is full of teachers who wanted to be NFL players and electricians who wanted to be lead singers in the next Rolling Stones. Get a grip and get over your girlfriend and take control of your future. There's no shame in putting the past behind you, but there is shame in not being honest with yourself.
            Can't be said any better.

            Comment


            • #8
              Theft of that amount is going to be a major hurdle. You were old enough to know better. You would be an auto DQ at my
              agency.

              Stop minimizing and making excuses for your actions, we HATE that.

              Comment


              • #9
                Originally posted by Var98 View Post

                So I’m in the USMC Reserves, going to college to get my Bachelor’s in Criminal Justice. I won’t apply to be a LEO until the next 3-4 years. And I’ve been stressing myself out for some reason now because I was thinking about the personal background check and polygraph. A couple years ago (I was 17-18) I stole money from my job.. I do not remember how much but let’s say $250?(not all at once) Never got caught but I’m literally doing all these things in order to become a LEO but NOW is when I have all these questions. Note when I do apply it’ll be like 6 years apart from when I stole. I don’t know if I’ll get charged since I admitted it or be disqualified? Idk. I’m not a criminal I’ve only gotten one speeding ticket in the 5 years I’ve been driving. I’m honestly a good guy. But I kind of screwed myself now that I think about it. I was in a low place with a bad influence of a girlfriend (now ex thank god) but I’m just stressing about this a lot. Whenever I do apply in the upcoming years I will be honest about what I did because I know that’s the whole point of it. Yes I was 17-18 and i know I should’ve known better but that was before I joined the Corps and I like to say I matured so much since then. And I’m going to apply when I’m about 25-26 so there’ll be a good amount of time between then. I’ve been keeping my nose clean
                Paragraphs, dude...paragraphs...

                Comment


                • COMoparfan392
                  COMoparfan392 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "You give me migraines...MIGRAINES!!!"

              • #10
                While this sort of thing would not be an automatic DQ at my agency, it would be a big hurdle. Whether or not the candidate would be bounced would depend a lot on the actions since then.
                - Have you confessed your crime and made restitution to the person/company you stole from (with interest)?
                - How many years have passed (probably need 7-10 spotless years, minimum)
                - Where are you volunteering to help better your community? (The Corps, while respectable, doesn't count -- you're being compensated for that)

                Comment


                • #11
                  How exactly would they know if you were never charged and didn't tell them? Are ploygraph tests standard in US departments?

                  Comment


                  • #12
                    Originally posted by CaptainKangaroo5691 View Post
                    How exactly would they know if you were never charged and didn't tell them? Are ploygraph tests standard in US departments?
                    #1 You are normally asked if you ever committed a crime ...........even one that has gone undetected
                    #2 You are expected to be 100% truthful in answering all question s
                    #3 Polygraphs are not STANDARD, but are used quite often
                    Last edited by Iowa #1603; 01-17-2020, 01:18 PM.
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

                    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

                    Comment


                    • #13
                      The theft is a problem but could be overcome by a clean record since, successful military service and enough time for both.

                      My suggestion is to stay in the Corps after you finish your degree... try for OCS, make it a career. Civilian law enforcement will still be there when you retire.
                      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

                      "With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

                      Comment


                      • #14
                        Originally posted by Var98 View Post
                        let’s say $250?(not all at once)
                        Not all at once...this suggests multiple thefts over time. In other words, a pattern of criminal behavior. It would be a definite DQ at my department. But with a clean record over a significant period of time that includes honorable military service...I could see it possibly being overcome. I'd take everyone else's advice here: go into the active duty military for a while. See how you feel in 5-10 years. You might not even want to be a cop anymore at that point.

                        Comment


                        • #15
                          Originally posted by CaptainKangaroo5691 View Post
                          How exactly would they know if you were never charged and didn't tell them? Are ploygraph tests standard in US departments?
                          Many agencies require a copy of your wage and earnings statement from the Social Security Administration which will show every job you ever had that wasn't under-the-table. I would ask all of his previous employers why he is no longer with them, and ask if I could get a copy of his job application or at least know what job he came from or went to after, and so on, until I have a complete work history. In investigations, lightning actually does strike twice or even more often in the same place, so there will likely be a pattern to follow. It's likely that his employer did know but couldn't prove it, a lot of larger companies have internal investigators just for this and you may be under surveillance and never know. Without proof, a half-intelligent manager won't accuse you just in case the accusation can never be proven and you sue them later.

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 6692 users online. 378 members and 6314 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X