Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would self sponsoring in an academy be a risk in today's hiring age? (California)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would self sponsoring in an academy be a risk in today's hiring age? (California)

Im considering just self sponsoring myself. Im pretty eager to change fields and the hiring process to just get accepted into the academy is quite long. For most departments I would probably be starting around July, up to October for some larger departments.

For someone who has successfully completed academy, would you be seen just as any entry candidate minus having to complete POST? I.E. Is having post completed a big enough resume helper to push your name/application to the top?

Not if you can’t pass the testing process.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• kingkapoor
      kingkapoor commented
      Editing a comment
      My understanding is if someone passes academy they are physically fit and mentally capable to pass the testing process right? Also doesnt academy waive parts of the testing process.

• CCCSD
      CCCSD commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope.
      Nope.
      Nope.

Self-sponsoring will not improve your chances of getting hired.

Comment

Originally posted by kingkapoor View Post
      My understanding is if someone passes academy they are physically fit and mentally capable to pass the testing process right? Also doesnt academy waive parts of the testing process.
      Your understanding is incorrect.

Having passed the academy simply signifies that for the next three years, you possess the minimum California training required of police officer candidates. It does not attest that you meet the applicant/testing standards of individual departments, which will vary from agency to agency.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

There are dozens of self sponsors each year who NEVER get picked up...
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I’ve never understood self sponsored academys. I imagine their sole goal is profit driven,....correct?

In Louisiana there isn’t any self sponsoring. LEO Agencies put you through their own academy or if they’re small, they have you go through a big agency’s academy on their dime.

Unless you’ve gone through, passed the hiring process, and part of the dept, you don’t go to any police academy.

Many agencies, especially smaller ones, Love laterals, as they’ll hire you and drop you straight with an FTO, then probation; much less costly.

Comment

As the screen name suggests, I'm not from California and some of the responses are from CA officers who have greater experience in the Golden State than I do from a couple of vacations.

That said, we do have some academies that allow self-sponsorship in Maryland. If an agency does not have its own academy, it might help you in competition. For low quality agencies, it might be a deciding factor.The bottom line, however, is that you do have to meet the agency standards.

My former agency was fairly well regarded for a smaller (62 sworn when I was retired) and the former chief did sometimes let the need for people blind him to actual qualifications rather than certification. We became more stringent as we (and the chief) learned better. As I recall, we only did well with one self-sponsor who wasn't a lateral. He was a few years older than most and figured he better move quick to get hired at a reasonable age. (Good grief, I wish I were still that age he considered over the hill.)

If you have a specific agency in mind in California (or Maryland, for that matter), you might want to name it to get better advice.
            John from Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by NolaT View Post
              I’ve never understood self sponsored academys. I imagine their sole goal is profit driven,....correct?
              Yes and no.

In California, between applicant testing, the background, medical, psych, salary and benefits while attending the academy, and academy tuition, it costs an agency over $50,000 to put someone through an academy, only to hope he doesn't later washout. That's a huge chunk of change to gamble.

Applicants who have already successfully completed the academy on their, or someone else's dime relieve the prospective employer of that cost. This is particularly attractive for small to medium agencies who often serve as stepping stones to larger departments and can't afford the hiring/training and recurring costs of such turnover. Many limit their hiring to lateral or academy graduates only, because they can't afford to keep sending new hires through the academy.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Nope, not even close. I self-sponsored back when hiring was much more competitive (and it's common where I'm from). Of those who graduated from my academy class of probably 40 and passed the state test, I only know of two of us who are still LEO's. Some were never hired, some got hired and didn't make the cut, and some found out it wasn't for them...all are common from self-sponsor academies.

Oh, and I've had dealings with several self-sponsors professionally in my career...those include a guy who was a heavy drug user and known dealer and one who is currently spending 25-to-life in prison for killing his infant child.
                "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

In, some states it is the only way to get certified .........In others it is impossible to self sponsor

The bottom line is that even if you have an academy certificate.................you STILL have to meet the hiring requirements of an agency in order to get hired.

As in EVERY profession .....................just passing a few tests does not make a person a viable employee nor does it necessarily make the person a "good" cop, doctor, architect , dentist.........
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I don't trust any entity that is profit driven (to borrow NolaT's phrase) and implies that it gives you a step up.

My suggestion is to make sure you meet the education requirements. If you have traffic or debt issues, is there enough time between you and the incident? Be familiar with what DQs you from various hiring processes so you don't waste your time and the agency's.
                    Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13807 users online. 393 members and 13414 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X