300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disqualified?

So I'm a civilian hoping to enter into law enforcement. I was placed in therapy as a teen and had dealt with depression and anxiety related to my parents divorce, and my abusive step parent. I struggled with suicidal thoughts, and was able to stave them off, but one night I drove a little recklessly with the idea, "If I go off the road so what?" but quickly pulled myself together after about five minutes. I am now sound mentally, and have been discharged from therapy with the overwhelming support of my therapists. I have trained hard, and gotten my mind, and body into great condition, I have contacts with LEO's around the state, and have made a name for myself as an individual dedicated to my hopeful future in law enforcement. I have confessed to every single thing I have done wrong in the eyes of the law, and have a PFT and written test coming up. Any advice on my eligibility or the written test / PFT would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

How much time since the suicidal thoughts? Whether you were prescribed psychotropic meds also will play into it. This dosen't sound like an actual suicide attempt. Given what you're describing it sounds like a normal response to parents divorce and abusive step parent. I think you may get more attention from your Psych evaluation than others.
    Hope this helps.

Comment

• Derk
      Derk commented
      Editing a comment
      2-3 Years since my last suicidal thought, and I was prescribed a medication when I was younger but I was approved to be removed from the medication when I was 16 at my own request

• Iowa #1603
      Iowa #1603 commented
      Editing a comment
      Much, Much, MUCH to resent suicidal ideation .

No way is a sane LE manager or Chief Executive going to give a gun to a person who had suicidal thoughts 3 yrs ago

• Derk
      Derk commented
      Editing a comment
      It was the car thing I was referring to. I don't know if that counts as a suicidal thought or not, but if it is then yes 2-3 years ago

• Iowa #1603
      Iowa #1603 commented
      Editing a comment
      YOUR words not mine....

My thoughts remain the same

The written will measure your ability to perform the duties of the job you are seeking. The PFT will determine if you meet the minimum physical performance requirements for the position. As such they should not be affected by your prior incident.

Assuming you pass the written, oral and background, and score high enough to be reachable, you will bs scheduled for a medical and psych. The psych evaluates applicants to determine if they are free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer, and to otherwise ensure that the candidate is capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position. Whether you pass or fail the psych will depend on your mental and emotional state at the time you take the test. Your prior incident will be considered as part of that evaluation, but in the end, it will only serve as small part of the basis upon which a pass/fail decision will be made.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 14757 users online. 399 members and 14358 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X