This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not sure how to improve my application, was rejected by a smaller CA agency

Before I start, want to say I am not trying to act like an entitled *******, but I am confused.
    I applied to a CA beachtown agency which 1) Cancelled their physical completely 2) Lowered their accepted written scores to below passing (50) 3) Did not require any college credits (as opposed to other neighbors) 4) Had a much lower salary 5) My ride along told me they would take almost anyone. Again not trying to sound like a conceited ******* but I was told it should be a good place to get into, and seemed like a cool agency to work with given the location.

About me:
    Undergrad in bioengineering, almost done with a masters in computer science. Did spend some time in med school in between but was more career focused on engineering
    Speak English, Hindi (common language spoken among people of Indian decent), Spanish.
    Did pretty well on my written exam, 1 standard deviations above average
    My Oral board I dont know but another agency scored me very highly
    Some experience in sales (6 months ) my other work experience is from college internships
    Never did anything illegal, been pulled over once for tinted windows at 16, was told to remove, no ticket or anything.

I'm looking for advice to improve myself or application. Not sure how to improve here. I dont want to join the military for a few years to become a cop because Ive already spent so much time in school for an engineering career (I do want to become an officer as my # 1 career choice however)
    Last edited by kingkapoor; 12-21-2019, 05:46 PM.

Sounds like you need to go federal. FBI would likely want someone with those creds.

Did you do a psych eval ? Those are looking for all kinds of things that you may not realize. They want to find people that will be in the career long term and based on your background, your psych eval would likely show that is not the case for you. Feds who can work cyber cases are incredibly valuable.

Comment

Originally posted by 9L81 View Post
      Sounds like you need to go federal. FBI would likely want someone with those creds.

Did you do a psych eval ? Those are looking for all kinds of things that you may not realize. They want to find people that will be in the career long term and based on your background, your psych eval would likely show that is not the case for you. Feds who can work cyber cases are incredibly valuable.
      Didnt get to the psych evaluation stage yet. I was rejected after Oral boards.
      Will look into federal, thank you!

Comment

Over qualified?

Yes, that’s actually a real thing!

Comment

Apply to the better paying departments and federal agencies.

Comment

If you are not interested in the feds, larger agencies (such as LAPD) would find your background more valuable as larger departments have a variety of specialized units where having an education like that could be utilized.

If you're going for a department that caters to the lowest common denominator, they're not likely to take someone who's going to jump ship after a few months.
            Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. An all expenses paid trip with travel, meals, and accommodations included!

Comment

Here's the criteria often used in California to score you on the oral. Look it over and think about how you might have done -
              • Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.
              • Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.
              • Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.
              • Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.
              • Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.
              • Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Do you really want to work on the coast for a small town?

If not, then the Santa Clara County Sheriff’s Office is hiring.
                semper destravit

Comment

Your skills are so varied, it's difficult to know where to start. My first thought was cyber crime. Your background is perfect for it. But then knowledge of Hindi, Spanish and English on top of that----pretty impressive.

You will most likely never know why they eliminated you from the process of the one agency. Try not to be concerned with it.

Research and keep applying.
                  Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by kingkapoor View Post

Didnt get to the psych evaluation stage yet. I was rejected after Oral boards.
                    Will look into federal, thank you!
                    FBI would scoop you up in a heartbeat... they are hiring right now too.

Comment

Originally posted by kingkapoor View Post
                      Before I start, want to say I am not trying to act like an entitled *******, but I am confused.
                      I applied to a CA beachtown agency which 1) Cancelled their physical completely 2) Lowered their accepted written scores to below passing (50) 3) Did not require any college credits (as opposed to other neighbors) 4) Had a much lower salary 5) My ride along told me they would take almost anyone. Again not trying to sound like a conceited ******* but I was told it should be a good place to get into, and seemed like a cool agency to work with given the location.
                      A lot of times when agencies lower their hiring standards, it is because they're having trouble meeting their "diversity goals", especially in liberal places like California.

To that end, the answers to the following questions may have something to so with why you are not getting hired:

Do you appear to be caucasian?

Do you have a "Y" chromosome?

Do you self-identify as the gender listed on your original birth certificate?

Do your sexual preferences include only adult homosapiens of the opposite sex?

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

A lot of times when agencies lower their hiring standards, it is because they're having trouble meeting their "diversity goals", especially in liberal places like California.

To that end, the answers to the following questions may have something to so with why you are not getting hired:

Do you appear to be caucasian?

Do you have a "Y" chromosome?

Do you self-identify as the gender listed on your original birth certificate?

Do your sexual preferences include only adult homosapiens of the opposite sex?

My answer is yes to 3/4 of them.
                        Where in the process do the diversity hires get enacted?
                        My familiarity is most departments are
                        1) Written
                        2) Physical
                        3) Oral Board
                        4) Background
                        5) Poly
                        6) Hire

Technically if you keep passing each of these stages a white Caucasian straight male should be the same as a Goldfish who scored the same points on each step right? Is there an extra intervention at some step where candidates just get thrown away for being over qualified or not of the desired race?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 15609 users online. 416 members and 15193 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X