300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psych [email protected]&%*

I just got back from the oral portion of my psych evaluation. To be honest I have no idea how I did. The psychologist went over some problems with my test such as questions I did not answer; "Do you like to make decisions and assign jobs" I said yes, " do you keep to yourself your pity and dislike of people", I said NO. Then he asked me to clarify and explain a few questions, "Have you ever been in trouble with the law?", I put NO because I took it to mean actual trouble ie, arrests, charges filed against me etc. so I answered NO. He kept saying thats not what it is asking, so I said, well if I interpreted the question wrong and it is including traffic violations then I would have to say YES. He also asking why I answered TRUE to, " At times I get so anxious I can hardly sit still." I said well at times I get so engrossed in a hobby of mine that when I stop or take a break I feel restless, and feel the need to finish it all at once; or something like that. He said he would be waiting for the results of the test and he would be recommending me based on the results. I get to wait some more....... Does this sound like it went well? Thanks for any input
    Last edited by calinalu; 05-15-2007, 05:49 PM. Reason: adding something

I forgot to add that the Doc asked me if I had ever thought of taking my own life and I said yes but explained they were only thoughts and I have never honestly considered doing it. He asked how recently and I had thought about it and I said about two years ago but again, I have never considered going through with it. I know the majority of people have given it at least a brief thought. Would this be disqualifying or does it show honesty? Thanks again

Comment

I am not an LEO.

I think its funny when asked the question "have you ever thought about killing yourself " ? In order for you to even answer the question you have to have thought about it. It doesnt ask how long you have thought about it or were you seriously thinking about it. I think that is a dumb question. If you have never thought about killing yourself then you can't answer the question, because in order to answer it you have to have given it at least some thought.

Whenever I have taken a psych test for anything I answer that question like this. Which is the truth. "Yes, I have thought about it, and no I would not ever kill myself".

Comment

I am not an LEO, I'm just a hopeful, but I would never admit to even thinking of taking my own life. IMO it's a major Red Flag...you have had thought of taking your own life as little as 2 years ago and you want a job that requires you to carry a gun? I don't know man, I think I would have kept that info to myself. I'm not busting on you for this at all...you were honest...most of all humans have had that thought enter their mind when times are tough....but there is a difference between having the thought enter your mind and quickly exit it, and actually considering it.

Comment

grunt, the question didnt ask whether you would do it or not. You would have to answer yes to that question as well. By your own admission. Have you ever thought about killing yourself ? Your answer should be yes, if not then you are lying.

Comment

he said he never honestly considered doing it.

Comment

I'd be very interested in hearing what actual police officers have to say about this question?
              "When people show you who they are, believe them." - Maya Angelou

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. Well I think that this is a hard question to answer. I think that it is a red flag question regardless how you answer it. By answering yes then you must explain your answer, and by answering no it may raise a flag of untruthfullness. I find it hard to believe that someone would claim the idea of taking their own life has never crossed they're mind (however brief). Is there anyone who passed the psych that answered YES to this question? Or even someone who answered NO and passed thanks again for the replies.... And now I get to wait for the call from my BI.... Good times

Comment

Originally posted by mcurry5 View Post
                  grunt, the question didnt ask whether you would do it or not. You would have to answer yes to that question as well. By your own admission. Have you ever thought about killing yourself ? Your answer should be yes, if not then you are lying.
                  I said most humans, I myself have not, I and I can say that with a straight face and with no hesitation, I wont get into detail but a neighbor of mine when I was a child did this and I saw what it could do to a family...plus my family and I are very close, growing up I the thought of doing that to my family never crossed my mind, if nothing else I always had them, and now I am married with my own family and nothing would make me think of it....but in defense of my comment, I've been around, I'm in my 30's, I served in the Marines, I have met MANY people who have thought about it and I did my best to console them...I passed the psych too by saying no because it was the truth. During my oral interview the Dr. went over some of my red flag answers and saying no to suicidal thoughts was not one of them.
                  Last edited by 0311Grunt; 05-16-2007, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Grunt,
                    I dont understand what you mean. To say that you wouldnt do that because of what it would do to your family and loved ones shows that you have thought about it. You thought "I would not take my own life because of what it would do to my family". The question asked if you had ever thought about taking your own life; that doesnt mean you would actually do it nor does it mean that anyone is bad for having thought that. Thought does not mean intent.

Aside from that I just got the call this morning from my BI saying I did not pass the psych. I was honest but thats just the way it goes. I could agonize over what the reasons are that the doctor didnt recommend me but I dont know and my BI didnt know either. The doctor wasnt a very friendly individual and I may have just gotten a dud that day. My BI asked if I wanted to appeal the decision and I said of course. So I will see a few more doctors and see what happens. My medical is scheduled for this Monday and she said to go ahead with that. Apparently the majority of people who appeal make it through so I am hopeful.......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4085 users online. 212 members and 3873 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X