300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Random Hiring Question

Hi all, I apologize if I ask something that has already been answered, but I couldn't find it when I searched.

Im a former Ad Marine now a reservist with another service out in the northeast had to make a 10 minute stop at the drill center on my way around town and was stopped for speeding (26 in a 15) by one of the drill center security cops, unfortunately the state is a constitutional carry state and I had my Gock on me just because I normally carry out of habit. I was up front with the cops and informed them, they then told me that I couldn't have a firearm on base (federal installation), they cuffed me, I made a statement and they released me and with my firearm to my command. I have over 8 years of spotless service with a couple deployments etc, my command only gave me a formal counseling and told me not to do that again (the LTC made the call) and dropped it. No article 15 or Court Martial.

I refuse to lie or withhold any information on a background questionnaire/SF86 they will get the full story from me from the outset, worts and all as well as the police report, I have nothing to hide. They will also get my reserve command's information if they want to discuss. If the agency/police force chooses not to hire me I respect that and understand. There is no justifying it or making excuses, I was simply wrong. I will take the consequences like a man even if that means I will never become a cop. However, how screwed am I if I try to apply for any sort of LE job?

Thanks!
    ​​​
    Last edited by USMCVet2020; 12-05-2019, 12:43 AM.

Originally posted by USMCVet2020 View Post
    Hi all, I apologize if I ask something that has already been answered, but I couldn't find it when I searched.

Im a former Ad Marine now a reservist with another service out in the northeast had to make a 10 minute stop at the drill center on my way around town and was stopped for speeding (26 in a 15) by one of the drill center security cops, unfortunately the state is a constitutional carry state and I had my Gock on me just because I normally carry out of habit. I was up front with the cops and informed them, they then told me that I couldn't have a firearm on base (federal installation), they cuffed me, I made a statement and they released me and with my firearm to my command. I have over 8 years of spotless service with a couple deployments etc, my command only gave me a formal counseling and told me not to do that again (the LTC made the call) and dropped it. No article 15 or Court Martial.

I refuse to lie or withhold any information on a background questionnaire/SF86 they will get the full story from me from the outset, worts and all as well as the police report, I have nothing to hide. They will also get my reserve command's information if they want to discuss. If the agency/police force chooses not to hire me I respect that and understand. There is no justifying it or making excuses, I was simply wrong. I will take the consequences like a man even if that means I will never become a cop. However, how screwed am I if I try to apply for any sort of LE job?

Thanks!
    ​​​
    Personally I don't think it will be a bigger deal........................

Treat the incident as you have when forming this question while you are in any hiring process and I think most agencies will give you a fair shake on the matter.

Good Luck
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I assume there was a posted sign about firearms being prohibited, yes? It is something that is going to have to be explained.

Comment

IMO the speeding is a more serious infraction than the gun. The gun violation is like tearing a tag off a mattress. Others may see it differently.

Some departments are very liberal minded towards guns. Some members on here have reports of applicants getting DQed just for having a carry license or CCW permit.

Either way, apply until you get hired.

Good luck.

Comment

I will agree with both of the two previous posters. It may not be a big deal to some agencies, but it may be a big deal to others. Obviously you will be questioned about it. But if you were active duty military and deployed a couple of times and now you are a reservist, I find it very hard to reasonably believe that you did NOT know that federal installations are gun-free zones.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post
            I will agree with both of the two previous posters. It may not be a big deal to some agencies, but it may be a big deal to others. Obviously you will be questioned about it. But if you were active duty military and deployed a couple of times and now you are a reservist, I find it very hard to reasonably believe that you did NOT know that federal installations are gun-free zones.
            No, you're absolutely right, I did know, and I made a bad call. I own that decision, no malicious intent or ignorance. I'm responsible for my actions, no one else is. I'm letting the chips fall where they may. If I have to get a job outside LE I understand that this is a consequence of a decision I made of my own cognizance.

Comment

• Levithane
              Levithane commented
              Editing a comment
              So you knowingly took the firearm onto premise, in short disregarding rules? Im asking because I did 2 cases where a similar issue like this occurred, and both times there were mitigating circumstances surrounding the reason why the individual had a firearm with them.

Hardcore criminal. I bet you've even downloaded music in your teen years.

Comment

No, you're absolutely right, I did know, and I made a bad call. I own that decision, no malicious intent or ignorance. I'm responsible for my actions, no one else is. I'm letting the chips fall where they may. If I have to get a job outside LE I understand that this is a consequence of a decision I made of my own cognizance.
              I wouldn't sweat it too much. If a department will DQ you just for that alone then you probably wouldn't have liked it there anyways.

If you want to, go to the gun friendly states / areas and start applying.

Good luck.

Comment

Everybody makes mistakes. Nobody expects you to be perfect.

As far as whether the firearm offense will prevent you from getting a job, it is what it is. At the very least, you will be competing against applicants that don't have a history of firearms offenses. At the worst, it may DQ you for life from certain agencies.

But it certainly sounds like you're manning up about this, and that speaks volumes about your character.

Comment

Thanks!
                  ​​​

Doesnt seem too big a deal, no charges, we are all human, and forget. The way you explained it is exactly what you should do in your application phase. As one poster said, if a agency were to DQ you for this, you wouldnt want to work with them anyways. The kind of place that weighs down its Officers with I.A. paperwork.

Not to mention, peope with "clean" backgrounds, are only those who weren't caught. We have all made mistakes in life.

You seem to be one of the few on this forum with Background questions who own up to it.

I was on Camp Lejeune, and PMO at the time were hardcore about speeding, pretty ridiculous honeslty. And for a 15 MPH limit, you could jog at that speed.
                  John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

You did not commit a state crime and apparently if your command felt it was a federal crime, you would of been charged accordingly. Be honest and leave it at that. Your investigator will probably shake his head at the stupidity of such laws. You were not trespassing, and I'm sure at some point they do allow you to carry a weapon on federal property, unless your a military chaplin.

Comment

I agree with what's been said here. There's nothing more to it and your command didn't see to take it seriously enough to pursue it. I don't see a DQ.
                      Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
                      http://www.policebackground.net

Comment

I appreciate everyone's feedback. Great information for me to take going forward. I appreciate everyone's time and honesty!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13554 users online. 437 members and 13117 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X