300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integrity does not pay

I took my polygraph today with LAPD and failed!!! I was honest 100% from beginning to end and still the examinator told I had failed on 3 questions. Being honest does not pay sometimes, I wonder how many people lie and still pass. Not fair!!

Originally posted by yesyesyes View Post
    I took my polygraph today with LAPD and failed!!! I was honest 100% from beginning to end and still the examinator told I had failed on 3 questions. Being honest does not pay sometimes, I wonder how many people lie and still pass. Not fair!!
    Dont give up. It happens to alot of law enforcement officer's. Do a search on other members process's. I beleive that you can appeal it within a certain time.
    "Damned if you do and damned if you dont"

Comment

The polygraph is a bullsh%t *** device that doesn't work.

Before taking mine, my mentor told me to be cool with the examiner because a lot of it depends on how much the examiner likes you.

don't let this set you back at all.

Comment

The machine is not infallible. It is only an investigative tool. If you're telling the truth, appeal and continue trying on other departments. If there was something negative that you admitted during the pre-test, that can also be a problem.
        "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I admitted to everything I've done, the same with my brackground investigation form and the questionaire. I didn't hide anything. Maybe I disclosed too much information?????

Comment

I admitted to everything I've done, the same with my brackground investigation form and the questionaire. I didn't hide anything. Maybe I disclose too much information?????
            Whether you admitted to stealing $5,000 or other illegal acts, etc. The Poly will show deception. Is it full-proof? Yes and no. However it is up the specific agency on how they use it and how they will utilize the info the extract from the poly and your Background.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Dont give up,ive gone through 3 so far.1 i passed and 1 i failed and the last one i was called back in to "clear up a couple of things".At the end of the poly examiner told me i was good to go.Sometimes being honest will still show deception because you might by mistake be leaving something out.I was as honest as i could be and HONESTY IS ALLWAYS BEST PASS OR FAIL.
              IM A CORRECTIONAL OFFICER NOT A #$%^&* PRISON GUARD.

Comment

I admitted to everything I've done, the same with my brackground investigation form and the questionaire. I didn't hide anything. Maybe I disclosed too much information?????
                Integrity does pay, but the information disclosed might be such that the particular agency you are testing for doesn't hire people with your particular history. Another agency might. Always tell the truth. Lying or failing to disclose information solicited in the background investigation can and will lead to rejection or (if discover later) termination.
                "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

I am sorry for your bad experience with polygraph. If you questioned your answers during the polygraph and let your mental processes "flow" after answering you could have caused your own problem. If you are sure of your answer, give it and stop questioning yourself or searching memory for something you may have forgotten. This will cause you to have problems with the examination.

If this is what occurred, I would ask for a retest and explain what occured.
                  Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

Integrity

Originally posted by pulicords View Post
                    Integrity does pay, but the information disclosed might be such that the particular agency you are testing for doesn't hire people with your particular history. Another agency might. Always tell the truth. Lying or failing to disclose information solicited in the background investigation can and will lead to rejection or (if discover later) termination.
                    Pretty easy to understand your frustration. You can take ten Polygraphs, and probably "fail" five or six of them. The reasons are somewhat out of my field of expertise, but I would advise you to keep trying. You know your background far better than any of us. Keep in mind, that the use of a Polygraph is pretty standard in the hiring process. Probably more true in Southern California than almost anywhere else. Don't give up though. Keep at it. Lots of candidates don't make the cut on the first try.

Comment

Having counseled a couple of folks in your situation, they swore they had never "done drugs." I asked about their reaction to poly drug questions. One guy said, "I was angry they even asked....but didn't show it..." No doubt his reaction was caught by the machine though.

Retest when you can, relax, perhaps you, too, need to "get over" being asked some questions which annoy you.
                      "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Thank you all for your posts! I'm feeling better today I'll keep trying until I get in! Thank again

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                          Having counseled a couple of folks in your situation, they swore they had never "done drugs." I asked about their reaction to poly drug questions. One guy said, "I was angry they even asked....but didn't show it..." No doubt his reaction was caught by the machine though.
                          WTF?

Any good polygrapher goes over the questions with the test subject BEFORE the actual test, and asks the test subject to voice all their concerns about the questions BEFORE the actual test. If the person being tested is too stupid to go over their concerns with the examiner BEFORE the test, I have no sympathy for them.

Further, every applicant for LE jobs should expect to be asked questions about possible prior bad acts as part of the background, hell those questions are part of the paperwork so they should expect them again on the poly. So why the hell would any applicant be offended to be asked about whether they had done drugs? If someone is so irrational that they expect not to be asked about such things I have to question whether they are qualified to work in LE.

Comment

How does this effect other departments hiring process? On the application they ask you if you have ever applied for any other departments and what the result is. If you say you didn't pass the poly, does that effect their decision? And can other departments reveal information about the poly if asked by another department?

Comment

Originally posted by CragCrawler View Post
                              How does this effect other departments hiring process? On the application they ask you if you have ever applied for any other departments and what the result is. If you say you didn't pass the poly, does that effect their decision? And can other departments reveal information about the poly if asked by another department?
                              Again, the poly is an investigative tool. Just because you failed to pass once, doesn't mean you will fail to pass the second time. Omitting the previous application and rejection will probably result in a disqualification. I would suggest that you indicate the agency you applied for on the application and if you know the reason for rejection indicate it. Most agencies only advise the applicant that they "failed to meet standards" for hiring and generally that's what should be indicated. Give additional details regarding the polygraph and specific questions to your background investigator only if you know the answers. It's up to the department how much they want to tell other organizations about applicants, even with a signed waiver. Just tell the truth and hope for the best.
                              Last edited by pulicords; 05-16-2007, 04:04 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4678 users online. 260 members and 4418 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X