Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Background info

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Background info

    Earlier this year in the Spring I went through the hiring process for a local police agency and made it all the way to the end. However my Psych didn't show what they were looking for so they disqualified me and said I would not be moving forward in the hiring process after I had already received a conditional offer. I accepted this and went to work at a sheriff's office in the jail to gain some experience and have been here for 7 months now. But what is concerning to me is that an officer in our control room told me the assistant chief of the department that disqualified me called and asked to speak with my Sgt for a reference about me. Why would this department be calling about me 7 months later after I was already disqualified? I had already written them off and accepted I wasn't going to be hired with them so this call is a bit off.

  • #2
    Originally posted by tony7497 View Post
    Earlier this year in the Spring I went through the hiring process for a local police agency and made it all the way to the end. However my Psych didn't show what they were looking for so they disqualified me and said I would not be moving forward in the hiring process after I had already received a conditional offer. I accepted this and went to work at a sheriff's office in the jail to gain some experience and have been here for 7 months now. But what is concerning to me is that an officer in our control room told me the assistant chief of the department that disqualified me called and asked to speak with my Sgt for a reference about me. Why would this department be calling about me 7 months later after I was already disqualified? I had already written them off and accepted I wasn't going to be hired with them so this call is a bit off.
    Did they specifically state that you failed the psych exam? I was called a year later and asked if I was still interested. That was after they passed over me the first time. But I passed everything up to that point.

    Comment


    • tony7497
      tony7497 commented
      Editing a comment
      The Lt. in charge of recruiting called me in late April and told me that I showed high levels of paranoia and would not be considered for the position anymore. I left it at that because I was extremely upset and hurt since it was my dream department. What do you think I should I do with this new information?

  • #3
    Originally posted by tony7497 View Post
    The Lt. in charge of recruiting called me in late April and told me that I showed high levels of paranoia and would not be considered for the position anymore. I left it at that because I was extremely upset and hurt since it was my dream department. What do you think I should I do with this new information?
    Well, being 'hurt and upset', what could you do with this information? Do you think you should call whatever state agency regulates professional standards for police and report this department for possibly reconsidering someone who failed the psych? Or, should you speak at the next city council meeting and tell them their police department was possibly reconsidering hiring someone who had been deemed psychologically unfit and that such a practice could place them in a position of civil liability they might be unable to defend against? Maybe you might take it to the newspapers and report this unsavory practice that could subject the public to being policed by someone previously deemed psychologically unfit?

    Perhaps you should take a step back and reconsider something yourself - if you get extremely upset and hurt over something as little as failing a psych, are you free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer, and are you capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position. Perhaps there is a legitimate reason you failed the psych.


    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

    Comment


    • tony7497
      tony7497 commented
      Editing a comment
      I would not take it that far at all sir. I have worked inside my county jail for 7 months now and have excelled at all of the positions so far. I wouldn't mind working here another couple years to gain even more experience for the road either. My superiors could all attest that I am a great officer and do my job as good as anyone I work with. Being upset about going through a hiring process only to get the boot and having psychological issues are very different. How is it that I went through my sheriff's hiring process with a psych, poly,etc and passed with flying colors? Sometimes the tests are just wrong.

    • Iowa #1603
      Iowa #1603 commented
      Editing a comment
      " How is it that I went through my sheriff's hiring process with a psych, poly,etc and passed with flying colors?

      Different agencies have different qualifications.

      Its not unusual AT ALL to get hired on one agency after failing at another.......using the same "facts" input into the mix
      You MIGHT be an excellent officer at your present job.......................and be deemed marginal or below at another agency...or even a different POSITION at your current agency

      You can't even imagine the number of people I have seen over the years that couldn't make it at one agency and excell at another

      "Sometimes the tests are just wrong. "

      Not very often. Surprisingly after being in use for several decades....the standard psychological tests really do work . I think your response on this thread SPECIFICALLY proves that point
      Last edited by Iowa #1603; 11-21-2019, 05:59 PM.

  • #4
    Nope. They are usually Dead On, as this one appeared to be...
    Now go home and get your shine box!

    Comment


    • #5
      Originally posted by tony7497 View Post
      I would not take it that far at all sir. I have worked inside my county jail for 7 months now and have excelled at all of the positions so far. I wouldn't mind working here another couple years to gain even more experience for the road either. My superiors could all attest that I am a great officer and do my job as good as anyone I work with. Being upset about going through a hiring process only to get the boot and having psychological issues are very different. How is it that I went through my sheriff's hiring process with a psych, poly,etc and passed with flying colors? Sometimes the tests are just wrong.
      Your evasive response does not address the questions I posed, so I'll try it another way.

      You applied with an agency and were told you failed the psych. Nonetheless, some time later the agency in question did something suggesting they may still have an interest in you. For some unexplained reason this made you feel upset and hurt, and you wanted to know what you should do with that information. Before anyone can give you a meaningful response, it would help if you first told us what action you think might be appropriate to take.





      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

      Comment


      • tony7497
        tony7497 commented
        Editing a comment
        Well I think I am just going to relax and let it all play out. I am doing well at my current position in the jail and am in the hiring process for a different agency already. So if anything does happen great, but if it nothing does than I am happy with where I am.

    • #6
      He should sue the agency.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

      Comment


      • #7
        They may still be interested in you like L-1 said and wanted to see how you are handling the jail officer job. If it was me I would stay at the current job and continue doing a good job there. I wouldn't contact that PD or ask your coworkers or supervisors about it. If they bring it up OK but I wouldn't ask any details about it. And if that PD did call you I would think long and hard about excepting a position at this point.

        That PD I referenced above, I accepted the job and it didn't take long to figure out it wasn't a good fit for me. You got your foot in the door with the SO. If you continue to do a good job in the jail they may put you on the road eventually.

        But what you do is your decision to make.

        Comment


        • tony7497
          tony7497 commented
          Editing a comment
          The only thing I was thinking about doing is requesting a ride along with this agency to show that I am still interested at least. I didn't even ask about this at all and got a call over the radio to stop by master control after headcount for information and they told me the assistant chief had called about me. I don't plan on calling the recruiter over there or snooping around about it either. Thank you for the detailed response sir.

        • westside popo
          westside popo commented
          Editing a comment
          You never answered if you are the paranoid type or not. That could be a problem on the road when you're alone It could be an issue in the jail too.

      • #8
        Originally posted by tony7497 View Post
        Earlier this year in the Spring I went through the hiring process for a local police agency and made it all the way to the end. However my Psych didn't show what they were looking for so they disqualified me and said I would not be moving forward in the hiring process...
        Then you DIDN'T make it "all the way to the end"- you were disqualified by the psych prior to getting hired.

        ...what is concerning to me is that an officer in our control room told me the assistant chief of the department that disqualified me called and asked to speak with my Sgt for a reference about me. Why would this department be calling about me 7 months later after I was already disqualified?
        Maybe they didn't really call. Maybe your co-worker is just dicking with you. Boys will be boys...

        Comment


        • westside popo
          westside popo commented
          Editing a comment
          This is a possibility.

      MR300x250 Tablet

      Collapse

      What's Going On

      Collapse

      There are currently 12310 users online. 440 members and 11870 guests.

      Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

      Welcome Ad

      Collapse
      Working...
      X