300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad BI interview

I just got back from a bad interview and need to vent a little. It was so bad that the investigator shut my packet before we were even halfway into it. The BI said things like, "you don't have the maturity to pass a polygraph," and "you have to figure out some way to have confidence in your answers." The BI also told me I needed to put more thought into the packet.

Here's the deal. When they first asked about DUI, I said I had driven home after several beers several weeks ago. The BI points to the calendar and I realized it was actually last week (bad memory/lots of things going on=lie?). I change my answer and the BI thinks I'm "minimizing."

I also have left work early without approval. At first I said it happened maybe 3-4 times. The BI asked if I was confident that it wasn't more. I said that it could have been more, but couldn't really put a number on it. I settled on ten times. Wrong answer. I'm "minimizing" again.

I know this isn't the end of the road, but it sure sucks. Is going through all the stupid things I did and setting dates to them a good idea when I'm not even 100% sure when or how many times it actually happened? Keep in mind the BI wanted exact dates. They think I'm young enough to remember everything. Guess again. I don't. The best I can do is ballpark the dates and quanities/number of times I did certain things. How do I fix/confront this issue in future background investigations?

Bad BI Interview.

Well, I can only give you my thoughts. Here's my first one. Go back,read your own post, try to do it objectively, and see if you don't practically answer your own question. The inconsistancies are fairly obvious. We're not looking for saints and angels. What we are looking for is people of a certain caliber, and that includes basic honesty. Keep in mind that "appearances" are important here. Is the Investigator going to know you all that well, at the end of the interview? No. What he/she is going to have is an impression. An impression of the type of person you are, and translated into an impression of the type of Police Officer you'll be. Is this impression, good or bad, always correct? No, but it's still that all important impression. Hopefully, some other forum members will have some additional thoughts for you. At this point, I suggest you look your current experience in the eye, and learn from it.

Comment

I definitely will learn from it. I thought the background was where you admitted to things you did. I realize now it's much more than just that. You also need to be able to say when you did it. I have already gone through my "file" and updated it with dates and amounts. Next time, the first thing I answer with will be the last thing.

Oh, I have also resolved to never taste alcohol again. That stuff is trouble. No two ways about it. And to never download illegal music.

Does this necessarily "sink" me for future backgrounds?
      Last edited by savage4presiden; 05-14-2007, 11:06 AM. Reason: Sp.

Comment

Bad BI Interview

Originally posted by savage4presiden View Post
        I definitely will learn from it. I thought the background was where you admitted to things you did. I realize now it's much more than just that. You also need to be able to say when you did it. I have already gone through my "file" and updated it with dates and amounts. Next time, the first thing I answer with will be the last thing.

Oh, I have also resolved to never taste alcohol again. That stuff is trouble. No two ways about it. And to never download illegal music.

Does this necessarily "sink" me for future backgrounds?
        Not knowing any more than I do, it's difficult to say. I don't expect you to "air" any questionable items in your past, on these forums. The key is honesty. As I noted in my original reply, we're not looking for saints and angles. In future applications, you need to measure yourself against the published hiring standards of a given department. This requires a little research on your part. Many agencies have websites, and they can be accessed using Officer.Com. See what they require. See if you meet the requirements.

Comment

Well, more bad news. It turns out I was telling the truth on one item. My frusteration, and what I am trying to resolve here, is the fact that in these interviews they want exact dates and amounts to go with the facts. I told the BI that I left work early without approval only 3-4 times. She began to question me on that and I changed it to not more than 10. I felt that 10 was a safe answer since I know I did not do it that often. Anyway, I called a co-worker and trusted friend and he said that it couldn't have been more than 5 times. The truth is that we did leave early, but with permission on most occasions. My friend was usually the one to ask permission not me. So I had trouble recalling how many times it happened.

This is only the second time I have had a background interview and I am learning the hard way.

Comment

Originally posted by savage4presiden View Post
            Well, more bad news. It turns out I was telling the truth on one item. My frusteration, and what I am trying to resolve here, is the fact that in these interviews they want exact dates and amounts to go with the facts. I told the BI that I left work early without approval only 3-4 times. She began to question me on that and I changed it to not more than 10. I felt that 10 was a safe answer since I know I did not do it that often. Anyway, I called a co-worker and trusted friend and he said that it couldn't have been more than 5 times. The truth is that we did leave early, but with permission on most occasions. My friend was usually the one to ask permission not me. So I had trouble recalling how many times it happened.

This is only the second time I have had a background interview and I am learning the hard way.
            You seem to be rather open to suggestion. If you left work early with permission, I don't see a problem. But if you say it happened five times, and I suggest that it was ten, and you then agree with me, THAT'S a problem. "Ballpark" figures, as in estimates, labeled as such, are seldom an issue in interviews. I'm beginning to suspect there's another problem.

Comment

Yeah I know. Anyway, I know what the definitive answer is and I won't question myself next time.

Edit: There's really no way for me to know for sure how many times I stole from my employer or how many times I walked off the job early. In that case, is it acceptable to just pick an answer I am comfortable giving and then sticking to it? Is that what a background investigation is about?
              Last edited by savage4presiden; 05-14-2007, 01:27 PM. Reason: Info

Comment

I have to get back on my soapbox one last time.

One of the questions in the interview was when was the last time you drove DUI? At first I answered "within several weeks." I had two beers and then drove home an hour later. While trying to remember the exact date, the BI directed me to the calendar hanging on the wall. I quickly realized that it was more recent than several weeks.

The BI thought I was being decietful. Uh, sorry but I don't remember the exact time and hour of the day at which I drove home after drinking two beers. Apparently the BI thought I was trying to give an answer that would seem favorable to her. How can you argue with that? I'm not trying to decieve, I'm just not going to remember details like that. I know it was a week ago, but I don't carry a pocket planner around and write the stupid things I do in it. I try to forget the stupid things and not do them again.

It's their loss. If they want to say I lied they can do that.

In your opinion does being off by a week and then correcting yourself as soon as you realize the correct answer constitute being decietful? I'm speechless.

Comment

I can see a background investigator construe your situation as being deceitful and/or minimizing things. Not saying you're doing it. Bottom line though, the average person can verify the last time he had a few beers and drove. Especially, as in your case, it was recent. Grab a calendar, look at it, give it some thought and pinpoint exactly when it occurred. Do this before you committ to filling out your answers and turning in that BI booklet. This portion of the BI should be rather simple. If you're having problems here early on, you need to make some changes.

Comment

It's not that I didn't know when it happened or that I wasn't going to disclose the dates. I was just unprepared to give an answer off the top of my head. Which is what I did and it came back to bite me. I am very confident of all the dates/circumstances I need to know now. It won't happen again.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4509 users online. 233 members and 4276 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X