Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Policy Variation Between States

Ill try and keep this brief,
    Im wondering what I should expect in regard to how/if my adherence to marijuana law will effect my status as an applicant. While I have never been a huge fan of marijuana, I did have a brief stint (2 months or so) where I tried it to see if it would help relieve pain from an injury that I got playing sports in highschool. I tried it (approx. 10-20 times) over a few month span when it became legal in Oregon. I have since moved to Texas, and am finding that departments are not out right DQ'ing me over this, but have said that it may be a speed bump down the line. My history other than this is very clean, I have never received any sort of moving violation, never been detained or arrested, never tried any other drug, I have a college degree, and I have responsible credit. Im wondering if I should be concerned moving forward? I would never lie on an application, but ive been wondering if working another job and getting some distance between this usage and my application might be well served? All marijuana usage was in college. I have never used marijuana outside the bounds of legality, as I have always conducted myself with a career in law enforcement in mind.
    Last edited by flyinhawaiin; 11-19-2019, 10:57 AM.

How long ago since last use?

Comment

Early 2018

Comment

Time and distance from your earlier decision making. I would suggest being completely upfront and forthcoming in all of your application steps, make no effort to conceal your past decisions and actions. At the same time you must keep in mind that you are competing against all other applicants in the hiring pool, thus those with similar credentials (academic, experience, etc) but without your history of MJ use will likely be hired before you will be considered further.

Comment

• flyinhawaiin
          flyinhawaiin commented
          Editing a comment
          Enough time and distance? Or are you suggesting more would be preferable? Obviously the time required will vary by department, but from what Ive seen thus far, recruiters have been positive in regard to my overall application. Just unsure if this will be an issue farther down the pipeline

That being said, they are more positive only after knowing that I have medical records to prove the back injury occured

• flyinhawaiin
          flyinhawaiin commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for the input as well, I really appreciate it!

Originally posted by retired1995 View Post
        Time and distance from your earlier decision making. I would suggest being completely upfront and forthcoming in all of your application steps, make no effort to conceal your past decisions and actions. At the same time you must keep in mind that you are competing against all other applicants in the hiring pool, thus those with similar credentials (academic, experience, etc) but without your history of MJ use will likely be hired before you will be considered further.
        Time and distance. Your experiences in Oregon are removed from your residence in Texas, so that is a positive factor (ask any drug counselor and you will learn that separation from prior associates and places is a positive factor. Time is a variable; if you have been drug-free for a year that is a good thing, but nothing to strongly recommend you for a stressful position, whereas if you have been drug-free for 5 years some of us would give greater weight to your application.

I hope this helps. I was a police chief (hiring authority) for nearly 7 years. I have dealt with these issues before. As I previously stated, you will be competing against everyone else in the hiring pool, and unblemished fruit tends to be picked before those with outward blemishes. Please accept these comments in the spirit intended; no one is perfect and the hiring authority has to make decisions accordingly.

Comment

• flyinhawaiin
          flyinhawaiin commented
          Editing a comment
          Really great advice, and very helpful. Thank you so much once again. I'm in the process right now with 5 departments, and I am going to put my best foot forward and focus on doing what is within my control to separate myself from the pack (scoring as high as possible on exams, coming across well and advocating for myself in interviews, etc.). Im confident I can make it through this go around, but as you said it will depend on a variety of factors. Regardless of whatever bumps I may encounter along the way, Ill be sure to stay consistent and calibrate towards my ultimate goal of being an officer.

Originally posted by flyinhawaiin View Post
        While I have never been a huge fan of marijuana, I did have a brief stint (2 months or so) where I tried it to see if it would help relieve pain from an injury that I got playing sports in highschool. I tried it (approx. 10-30 times) over a few month span when it became legal in Oregon. I have never used marijuana outside the bounds of legality, as I have always conducted myself with a career in law enforcement in mind.
        Marijuana is a federal drug crime in all 50 states and DC, regardless of whether a state you used to live in is willing to prosecute drug offenders or not. Refer to question 11e on the federal form 4473 that you have to fill out to buy a firearm from a gun store.

There is also the concern that you have established a pattern of doing business with drug dealer(s) to obtain illegal drugs.

Using illegal drugs for months on end is not "trying" them.

If you have an injury from years ago that is so severe that it still requires pain medication, that would be a concern.

And finally, there is the judgement issue, of you choosing to "self-medicate" with illegal drugs, instead of going to a doctor to address your issue legally.

Comment

• flyinhawaiin
          flyinhawaiin commented
          Editing a comment
          Sorry If I didn't word this clearly. I only tried it after it was LEGAL in the state I was residing in. I never interacted with any dealers, and have only ever obtained it from a licensed business.

• flyinhawaiin
          flyinhawaiin commented
          Editing a comment
          Issue has since been resolved as well, it was in relation to a spinal fracture from football. The injury itself was not the main cause for the pain, the treatment of the injury which consisted of a back brace for about half a year weakened the muscles that supported the injury site. I was able to correct this with targeted physical therapy.

• Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          Working in law enforcement requires a higher level of reading comprehension than you are demonstrating. Go back and re-read what I told you, starting with the first sentence- marijuana IS a federal drug crime, regardless of whether any state(s) "legalize" it.

And since marijuana is an illegal Schedule-1 psychotropic narcotic DRUG, that means that whoever you bought it from IS a drug dealer, whether they are "licensed" or not.

• flyinhawaiin
          flyinhawaiin commented
          Editing a comment
          Understood, I hadn't thought of it that way.

Show up to the interview stoned.

Comment

Originally posted by flyinhawaiin View Post
          Ill try and keep this brief,
          Im wondering what I should expect in regard to how/if my adherence to marijuana law will effect my status as an applicant. While I have never been a huge fan of marijuana, I did have a brief stint (2 months or so) where I tried it to see if it would help relieve pain from an injury that I got playing sports in highschool. I tried it (approx. 10-20 times) over a few month span when it became legal in Oregon. I have since moved to Texas, and am finding that departments are not out right DQ'ing me over this, but have said that it may be a speed bump down the line. My history other than this is very clean, I have never received any sort of moving violation, never been detained or arrested, never tried any other drug, I have a college degree, and I have responsible credit. Im wondering if I should be concerned moving forward? I would never lie on an application, but ive been wondering if working another job and getting some distance between this usage and my application might be well served? All marijuana usage was in college. I have never used marijuana outside the bounds of legality, as I have always conducted myself with a career in law enforcement in mind.
          Issue has since been resolved as well, it was in relation to a spinal fracture from football. The injury itself was not the main cause for the pain, the treatment of the injury which consisted of a back brace for about half a year weakened the muscles that supported the injury site. I was able to correct this with targeted physical therapy.
          Your previous spine injury may be a bigger issue than the MJ use for a lot of agencies. You will have to be evaluated and cleared by an agency physician towards the end of the hiring process, and there's a good chance you will be medically DQed. Spinal/back injuries are the most common reason for workman's comp claims and medical retirement. Carrying your duty gear drastically increases the likelihood of re-injury. Most agencies will avoid the financial risk you pose.

Comment

• flyinhawaiin
            flyinhawaiin commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't think of this, but good to know. From what I understand, the issue is somewhat common for taller individuals, it occurs naturally as you grow. You're just at higher risk of exposing it from being more active during adolescence. My physician assured me that its nothing to be concerned about long term though.

Quite frankly anyone having an issue over 10-30 times of marijuana use probably isn't up to date with many departments' hiring standards.

The fact is, that while marijuana is illegal federally... it gets a big so what and a shrug from many people- including background investigators and many agencies. To realistically expect good, qualified people to have no tried marijuana or even used it recreationally for a short period of time is unrealistic.

The social moors around marijuana have radically changed in the last 5 years. Some agencies are still in the 1980s when it comes to their marijuana policies and some are actually adapting to the modern changes.

Sure, some departments will have zero tolerance policies... and these are the same department who think tattoos are bad, outer vests look unprofessional, no cargo pants for patrol, and any changes Are Very VERY Bad.

People going off about how "it shows you interacted with drug dealers" or "made poor decisions" gets a big eye roll. Progressive agencies (not in the liberal political sense, but in the sense they understand that social norms change) won't care a big deal about 10-30 times of use. As long as it's been outside of their policy range and there is not a history of dependence.

I would be very cautious of applying to an agency with a zero tolerance policy. Chances are they're one of those agencies who can't adapt to changes and probably have other structural issues that should point to them being avoided.

That said, I'd also be cautious of applying to an agency with too liberal of a drug policy. Personally I'd be cautious of applying to one that allowed previous hard drug use like cocaine (yes, some do).

Marijuana isn't something you should be worrying about in like 80-90% of the agencies out there. The spinal fracture might be a bigger issue just when it comes to getting documentation and medical clearance.
          Last edited by Johnny5678; 11-19-2019, 06:25 PM.

Comment

My agency no longer asks about previous weed use but they do random drug tests after hiring.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12310 users online. 440 members and 11870 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X