Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background Issue

Hi all,

I recently did a background for an agency to be a Reserve Officer. I did several ride alongs prior to applying and liked the department so I put in an app. Got an interview and it went well so i was given a background packet. I filled out the packet honestly and thoroughly. When I was a teenager I did some pretty bone-headed things. I have a clean driving/criminal record, but while I was an Explorer I got in trouble for a lot of things, the worst being running my driver's license on a Reserves MDT, which I know is a BIG data practice violation now. I was asked to resign because of this. I resigned in November 2017, so two years ago. In those two years I've worked Loss Prevention, been a Reserve Field Training Officer and Hospital Security Officer. I haven't gotten in trouble at any point in time while working at any of these jobs. Still, however, I'm getting hung up on the things I did while an Explorer and they're also barring me from doing ride alongs with them in the future. I haven't gotten a chance to speak with the Sergeant who conducted my background yet, but I know that the issues I had while I was an Explorer was the kicker because he specifically mentioned it in the rejection letter.

My question is, how am I going to prove to them that I'm not the same person I was two years ago? How do I prove to them that I've matured and can be a trustworthy and dependable Officer? I hate that I'm being told "no" over things I did when I was still in High School, and it feels like the progress I've made since then means absolutely nothing.

Thanks,

John Madden

You said you got in trouble for "a lot of things." What else did you do besides run your info on an MDT? Two years isn't a lot of time and violating agency, and possibly state/federal policy/rule/law might be a career killer.

Comment

How are you a “Reserve Training Officer”?
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnTheExplora View Post
        Hi all,

I recently did a background for an agency to be a Reserve Officer. I did several ride alongs prior to applying and liked the department so I put in an app. Got an interview and it went well so i was given a background packet. I filled out the packet honestly and thoroughly. When I was a teenager I did some pretty bone-headed things. I have a clean driving/criminal record, but while I was an Explorer I got in trouble for a lot of things, the worst being running my driver's license on a Reserves MDT, which I know is a BIG data practice violation now. I was asked to resign because of this. I resigned in November 2017, so two years ago. In those two years I've worked Loss Prevention, been a Reserve Field Training Officer and Hospital Security Officer. I haven't gotten in trouble at any point in time while working at any of these jobs. Still, however, I'm getting hung up on the things I did while an Explorer and they're also barring me from doing ride alongs with them in the future. I haven't gotten a chance to speak with the Sergeant who conducted my background yet, but I know that the issues I had while I was an Explorer was the kicker because he specifically mentioned it in the rejection letter.

My question is, how am I going to prove to them that I'm not the same person I was two years ago? How do I prove to them that I've matured and can be a trustworthy and dependable Officer? I hate that I'm being told "no" over things I did when I was still in High School, and it feels like the progress I've made since then means absolutely nothing.

Thanks,

John Madden

Comment

If you were an Explorer just two years ago, how the hell are you a reserve now? And an FTO at that? So you’re a fulltime peace officer, off probation, and have been to FTO school?
          Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

LEADS access is a huge privilege that shouldn't be taken lightly. You abused that privilege. Unhireable probably.

Comment

how am I going to prove to them that I'm not the same person I was two years ago?
              You're going to have to wait waaaaayyyy longer than 2 years. We bounce people at background for stupid **** they did far longer back than 2 years.

How do I prove to them that I've matured and can be a trustworthy and dependable Officer?
              You can't.

I hate that I'm being told "no" over things I did when I was still in High School, and it feels like the progress I've made since then means absolutely nothing.
              Too bad. You were trusted. You abused that trust. Consequences have actions and the guilty don't get to determine what those consequences are.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnTheExplora View Post
                Hi all,

Thanks,

John Madden
                You were in a "position of trust " while an Explorer & you violated that trust. It really doesn't matter that you were a kid..................you made a mistake (or according to your post above) a FEW mistakes during that time.

The only way you can rectify that condition is time.........................LOTS of time and 2 yrs isn't even close to enough for the vast majority of agencies.

I doubt that the agency that licenses officers to use the MDT online databases will approve you .........our state (Iowa) would reject you and thus make you ineffective as an officer or even make it impossible to be hired and licensed as a Peace officer. That prohibition could last for many years
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

You're still very young. If you haven't already, go to school: Plumbing, HVAC, College, something that you can count on for 'Plan B.' Earn an impeccable employment history. I agree, it will take time.

Comment

And another thing, I find it hard to believe that an agency would have you go through the training to get either level of LEADS access as an explorer which means you probably did this without anyone knowing. Not sure which is worse; doing it with the training knowing you can't use it for personal reasons, or playing with the MDT knowing you're not allowed to access LEADS.

Comment

Few mistakes? Prison inmates tried to tell me they were in prison because they made a "few mistakes." So?

Comment

Do something like that with my agency and you will be fired and most often prosecuted. Now you are barely legal age to hire and wonder how long you will be on the naughty list. If I were you I would look elsewhere for work and your future. Maybe circle back in 10+ years if you still have the bug to work in LE. At that point if you have done well, maybe an agency will take a chance on you. I can't think of a single agency that would take that chance but times change so who knows.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12306 users online. 444 members and 11862 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X