Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• applying with others with past DQs

Quick question about filling out apps
    In the past I have applied to different agencies and not been selected or DQd. when filling out apps it asks you to fill out who you have applied for in the past or currently applied to. my question is if you leave one off how would the dept. know? is there some sort of shared database used to see where all you have applied to? does it look bad to have applied to a bunch of different places?

Originally posted by Kboy-123 View Post
    In the past I have applied to different agencies and not been selected or DQd. when filling out apps it asks you to fill out who you have applied for in the past or currently applied to. my question is if you leave one off how would the dept. know? is there some sort of shared database used to see where all you have applied to? does it look bad to have applied to a bunch of different places?
    The fact that you are asking this question is concerning...

Comment

Simply, you tell the truth....................the ENTIRE truth.

I have seen people get hired and even through the academy and a problem is found with their background. In other words a lie comes back to bite them in the arse...........................The were fired.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Shared data base? Unlikely.

More likely, if you make it through the original testing and screening process you will be schedule for a polygraph examination. One of the questions is likely to be whether or not everything you provided in your employment application and background questionnaire is truthful and complete. Unless you are a sociopath or psychotic personality the bells and whistles will start going off about the time you open your mouth.

Try something original. Try something that not one in a hundred applicants ever think of. Try telling the complete, unvarnished truth without excuses or prevarication of any kind. THAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT IN THE CROWD.

Comment

I second what not in my town said. The fact that you asked this question is concerning. Nonetheless, I will answer you.

Yes, we can tell where you applied, so don't leave it off. Otherwise, it may be viewed as deliberate falsification and you will be a permanent DQ wherever you apply in the future.

As a side note, (and generally speaking) all agencies have different criteria for disqualification. What may not fly with Department A may be perfectly OK with Department B - of course, there are some things that are a universal DQ with everyone.

Applying to multiple agencies doesn't necessarily look bad. Competition for jobs is stiff. More people apply than there are vacancies, so not everyone is going to get hired, that's generally understood. The question is, why didn't you get hired?

There is no disgrace in failing to score high enough on the written or oral. You just dust yourself off, keep studying and testing until you pass both with a score high enough to be reachable.

If you fail the background, you need to take a deep look at yourself and see if over time, your personal history can be rehabilitated.

"Not selected in favor of other more qualified applicants" in my my part of the woods is a polite way of saying you failed the background. Those "other more qualified candidates" are applicants who didn't fail the background

If you are in the list but just not high enough to be reached, you are in an honorable position. It does not mean you are "Not Selected". It means you are "On the list" and they will reach you when (or if) they reach down to people in your score range.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Leave one off? Unless you applied to something like 50 or more it'll be hard to claim you honestly forgot one. Just tell them about everything and keep copies of every application you turn in.

Comment

We call each other and ask, especially if it's a weird application. You got rejected already, for what reason? So we might try to give another agency a heads-up that maybe you'll be applying there (in case you try to lie to them to avoid a DQ) or we may call just to verify your honesty.

Florida in particular publishes all of their officer misconduct sanctions online every year, and I have seen some where people lied in an application, got caught later, and were charged with felonies.

Please dude, we aren't stupid. I'd sooner hire an honest guy who got a DUI ten years ago than a liar who thinks I'm an idiot.

Comment

There's a BIG difference in not being selected and being DQ'ed.

That said, there is a BIG difference is a DQ making you impossible to hire or just not the best hire due to a department policy.

If you were convicted of say, a felony for selling drugs when you were 18 in college, you are disqualified from pretty much everywhere. Because well duh, you were a drug dealer.

If you were disqualified from a particular department because you did marijuana 55 times and their cut off for marijuana is 50 times... THAT is another issue entirely, where the department's policy makes you DQ'ed rather than being DQ'ed for a criminal conviction. That type of disqualification might be agency specific so you could potentially get hired by a department with a more lax marijuana policy, for example.

Now, not being selected because of "more desirable/whatever applicants" usually comes down to something lacking in your application, which can be rectified (education, training, fitness, age, etc.) or may not be an issue at another department. OR it could just be that you made it to say, the final 10 but they only accepted the final 6, 7, or 8.

Background investigators will call departments. Sometimes the response they get back will just be like "It wasn't an amazing application and there were just other better qualified people... nothing wrong with the guy, we just had better people apply" or it can be like "Yeah this dude left off his felony drug conviction where he spent a month in jail." People don't forget about spending time in jail.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12296 users online. 439 members and 11857 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X