Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I did not register for selective service .

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bustoss23 View Post

Thanks guys. Just going to try my luck . I know I’m going to interview phenomenally, so if the department really wants me they’ll take me I guess. I mean it would be silly not to if I’m a great fit which I think I am .
    Are you registered now?

Comment

He’s too late.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

It will be a hard pass for most departments. Federal grant money requires compliance with certain federal laws and regulations... and this is one.

As mentioned many states have it as a requirement like no felony or DV misdemeanor convictions... it’s not discretionary.

Thanks guys. Just going to try my luck . I know I’m going to interview phenomenally, so if the department really wants me they’ll take me I guess. I mean it would be silly not to if I’m a great fit which I think I am .
        There’s no harm in trying, but don’t lie about it... it’s the easiest thing to check.
        Last edited by tanksoldier; 11-08-2019, 03:49 PM.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Well at least you don't have to worry about someone saying you lack confidence...
          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Great fit? To an old two-tour Vietnam veteran and retired police chief you are a total misfit, having failed to perform one of the most basic responsibilities of citizenship. Failure to register for Selective Service should make you ineligible for registering to vote, serving in any position of public employment, or any other benefit of US citizenship.

Of course, you will probably receive top marks with any of the "left coast" progressive departments in pursuit of their anti-America at all costs agenda.

I can think of several positions for which you might be a great fit, but none of them are as members of any department I ever served in or commanded.

Rant over. Happy Veterans Day!

Comment

• bustoss23
              bustoss23 commented
              Editing a comment
              Actually yes , I know I would be a great fit. Why ? Because I’ve never done any drugs , have great credit , pay my taxes, great driving record , great interpersonal skills , leadership skills, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt , i am a product of the city of Santa Ana ; which is the police department I’m applying to . The department needs bilingual people and I speak three languages. I also have helped my BJJ instructor teach cops how to properly control people on the ground . I have trained with many cops over the years . I have a pretty good job where I make executive decisions, so I’m sure that’s a plus.

• CCCSD
              CCCSD commented
              Editing a comment
              So...by your checklist, you’re perfect. Good luck with that.

Yep..............

Comment

I just found out it’s not a requirement but will be reviewed as part of the process . Thanks to everyone .

Comment

Lose that attitude, youngster.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                  Lose that attitude, youngster.
                  I think that with this young man the attitude is all there is to see or understand. Without the attitude this one is nothing more than something brown and smelly stuck to the heel of my shoe. Fortunately, for him, his little self-esteemer seems to be fully developed, allowing him to feel superior to many people without being able to jump high enough to kiss their *****e$. I suppose it remains a possibility that he will grow up, but that remains to be seen.

Comment

• bustoss23
                    bustoss23 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You are the one that needs to grow up . There’s no need to insult me as I never insulted you sir . I apologize if my post offended you . I didn’t mean to come off as an ******* , but please , there’s no need to disrespect anyone . Specially online .

I apologize if I came off as an ******* guys . Didn’t mean to offend anyone . I just think I’d be a great fit nothing more .

Comment

Well, I am still working on growing up, that is for sure. Only 69 orbits around the sun so far, so maybe there is still time for me to grow up. Only 21 months in a combat zone. Only 5 wounds in combat (to be fair, one of those was US Air Force close air support). Only two children raised, both now productive citizens (one of whom is a combat veteran). Only 9 grandchildren (3 of whom are now in the armed forces). Only 5 great-grandchildren so far.

Less than 5 years active military service, and only 3 years active reserve service. Only 24 years as a cop, with 11 years as an investigator and only 6-1/2 years as a chief. One gunshot wound in the line of duty, and only two knife wounds. Probably less than a thousand arrests, and only a couple hundred for felonies. Heck, I can only recall 2 or 3 hostage situations, no more than a dozen really good high speed pursuits.

Only 20 years as a business owner, and I never employed more than 2 dozen people at any given time.

When I retired for good I had a debt-free home and only about 1.5 million in savings, investment, and retirement accounts.

Yeah, I still have some growing up to do. I can't imagine what made me think I might offer useful comments about a young puppy with an overgrown ego who just knows he will be a good fit in a police department. I think I'll tie a few trout flies now, maybe play some shuffleboard tomorrow morning with the other old guys who never learned anything worth talking about.

Comment

• bustoss23
                      bustoss23 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Impressive , thank you for your servíce and what you have done for the community . However, that doesn’t give you the right to belittle other people . As for my ego. How am I being egotistic exactly ? Should I think I’m not a good fit? Should I say I’m worthless because I didn’t register for selective services ? Again, thank you for the contribution you have given this great country .

Schooled...

Comment

Retired1995, Out of respect . I apologize if I said anything that offended you . You’re a hero , and it wasn’t my intent to offend you . I will work on my attitude . Anyway, this is the last post I’ll make in this thread as I found my answer. Be well sir .

Comment

Well, good luck with that, lol...

Comment

I apologize if I came off as an ******* guys . Didn’t mean to offend anyone . I just think I’d be a great fit nothing more .
                          To offer some advise here I know there are people in backgrounds who view this forum. Look at all the "We're hiring!" thread by recruiters on the various state forums. A background investigator for the PD you're applying for can probably piece together who it is making these comments based on your very, very, very specific question.

The first interview I got for a police department I really wanted to work for was going great. I wasn't the best candidate, but I would have considered myself pretty good. I didn't get it after the interview. I was told I went in with the attitude you're displaying, like it was a lock. That it would be mine.

It was a humbling experience and I feel it helped me grow and mature. (I got hired about a year after that at another agency I didn't expect to even apply to.) If you're going off to random people on the internet about how great you are it's going to come as a reality check when your interviewers pick up on that sense of entitlement.

You're getting upset at random people on the internet. Who cares if they're saying you're not amazing. You don't need to come in and defend yourself against random people on the internet. Especially after revealing the agency you're applying to and the very, very specific question you asked about.

Any background investigator could figure out who you are within 1 minute... lean over to the next cubicle and be like "Hey Det. Smith, is there a guy whose 29 and isn't registered for the selective service?" "Oh yeah, let me check.... *30 seconds later* yup, this came across my desk yesterday." "Well, check out his comments on Officer.com..."

It usually comes down to people who are all qualified, but someone might be a 99.9 and someone else a 99.89 and another person a 99.85. It's very close. Don't give a reason for second thoughts.
                          Last edited by Johnny5678; 11-18-2019, 11:46 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12681 users online. 498 members and 12183 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X