Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I did not register for selective service .

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did not register for selective service .

Hi guys ,

i recently applied to the Santa Ana police department and saw that they require a letter stating you registered for the selective service . I went online and found out I never registered . I had absolutely no idea I had to , I am now 29 and it’s too late for me to register. Will this cause a DQ? I am 100 percent being honest in that I did not know I had to register , I thought I was automatically registered for some reason . I did now know this was a thing until recently. Thanks

Looks like most of the penalties for not registering are for federal grants, loan, employment, etc.

Sounds like it will be a matter of convincing them it was not done intentionally.

No family member or friend ever brought it up in your teen years? I've seen similar topics in other forums; people not even hearing about it until much later in life.

Seems like that's all teens talked about as i got closer to 18.

Comment

NO excuse for failing to register. None.
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
        NO excuse for failing to register. None.
        I am going to agree

Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Did you ever join the military?

Are you a woman?

If the answer is no both, then you are in trouble. But you are 29 and this is California. Just be honest, you can’t have been the only person to encounter this.

Honestly, this isn’t something that is well known. It’s not talked about, at least it wasn’t when I was 17. None of the military recruiters ever told me “well since you are turning us down please remember to register for the selective service.”
          It’s also total bs that it only applies to men (that may have changed?).
          semper destravit

Comment

It’s posted in every Post Office.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by RGDS View Post

It’s also total bs that it only applies to men (that may have changed?).
              It hasn't changed

Federal law has required 18 yr old males to register for the draft since November 1942

When I turned 18 it was a big deal.....................of course that nasty little thing of Viet Nam was just ending
              Last edited by Iowa #1603; 11-07-2019, 07:16 PM.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

• RGDS
                RGDS commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea, my Dad is the one who constantly reminded me. He would always talk about how the draft lottery spooked my grandmother.

I registered within the a week of turning 18. I did it online, which was still pretty new back then.

Your only option now, if you want to avoid any penalties and get the job, is to identity as a female and gender reassignment surgery.

Comment

Yea I'm confused on this one as well. When I registered to vote it came as a packaged deal.

Comment

I remember getting something in the mail or at school for it.

There was talk, in the news a year or two ago about some legislation to change it so men and women had to register or doing away with it.
                  Last edited by westside popo; 11-07-2019, 10:13 PM.

Comment

• Zeitgeist1
                    Zeitgeist1 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Works for me. Women enjoy the same rights of US citizenship as men, they should carry the burdens as well.

I registered within the 30 days of my 18th birthday. I believe it's required to be registered if you apply for federal student aid as a male. Not sure why but I was aware of it for years before I turned 18. Don't remember anyone my age who didn't know about it. Graduated HS in the late 1990s. I've seen this same sob story on other websites. One guy claimed he thought his parents took care of it. Pretty sure it requires a signature or something. His excuse was terrible. Perhaps it was an oversight in this case.

To OP we all make decisions we have to live with. Try to learn from this "oversight".

Comment

Thanks guys. Just going to try my luck . I know I’m going to interview phenomenally, so if the department really wants me they’ll take me I guess. I mean it would be silly not to if I’m a great fit which I think I am .

Comment

Just tell the truth and let them make their own decision. Or call whatever phone number there is for the Selective Service and see if you have any options to register late. It can potentially cause issues later in life with social security and such, or so I've read.

Comment

Years ago I got a nasty letter from the Selective Service chiding me for not updating them with my current address.

The letter addressed me by my military rank and was sent to my FPO address.

Comment

• RGDS
                          RGDS commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hahahaha

Classic bureaucracy

Originally posted by bustoss23 View Post

Thanks guys. Just going to try my luck . I know I’m going to interview phenomenally, so if the department really wants me they’ll take me I guess. I mean it would be silly not to if I’m a great fit which I think I am .
                        Except if the law they work under states you have to be registered. In my state there are very few waivers for licensing .......you either meet the requirements or the council will not license you no matter how awesome you are

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12670 users online. 498 members and 12172 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X