300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polygraph reaction

Does getting a reaction on one question receive a dq? I understand different departments will have different ways of handling things, but generally how does that work out? I have seen many other posts about failing or believing the polygraph is bs. I understand it’s just part of the process that needs to be done. I have passed everything else with flying colors and have passed a previous polygraph showing a reaction to the same question. If anyone is willing to give there honest opinion or experience regardless of how harsh it is i will appreciate.

A lot depends on what the question was. Did it have anything to do with dogs and peanut butter?
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• westside popo
      westside popo commented
      Editing a comment
      I started to say the same thing in his duplicate post.

I thought everyone did things with their dogs lol. But I was basically asking if a reaction to the drug portion is grounds to fail only or is it more to fail the polygraph thank you for your information.
    Last edited by losjames15; 11-07-2019, 06:35 PM.

Comment

It all depends on the nature of the questions, how you respond and what comes up in your background in relation to the questions. When first hired, my best friend spiked on the questions, Are you under the influence of narcotics right now and are there active warrants out for your arrest? He recently retired as a Captain.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Basically it comes down to why you had a physiological response to that question. Depending on the "why," you could either pass or fail.

Why do you think you had a response to that question?

Comment

So the dc police have a two year policy about smoking marijuana and as soon as my two year window had finished i applied for the job. Before we even started he said you do know we have a two year policy and are you sure the last time you smoked weed was two years ago. He said I remember the date really specifically. So it made go like man is he already believing I am a liar. Although after the exam he kept drilling me about it I kept to my same story, because there is a specific reason why I remembered the last time I smoked and I am positive and could prove it if needed to. It was because I applied to a different police department at the time I stopped smoking.

Comment

A well trained and highly experienced polygraph operator, given adequate time to conduct a complete examination, will pursue every "reaction" on the chart to resolve any issues (to the extent possible, given the fact that much of polygraphy is subjective to some extent).

That said, pre-employment polygraphs are usually scheduled in relatively large groups, thus minimal time for each examination. The examiner, being human, may tend to conclude an examination before a more complete process might resolve certain "reactions" in more favorable light. The time frame in which all exams must be completed may be insufficient for an examiner to follow up every possible course of inquiry. Then, of course, there are examiners who are less than astute, perhaps not even fully qualified, and the results may be incomplete or inconclusive in any case.

A good polygraph examination begins with an in-depth question and answer period, with plenty of time for explanations that permit the examiner to prepare and conduct the examination to delve into any issues or history. All too frequently this process is compressed into a background questionnaire that is very broad, not very specific, and perhaps done in limited time, followed by hooking the applicant up to the machine and conducting the examination with a "textbook" approach.

I served in Vietnam and saw too many young men get messed up on illegal drugs, as well as engaging in other illicit activities. As a result I have a very strong aversion to drugs in general (legally prescribed or illegal). In an polygraph examination I will always register strong reactions to any question regarding drugs, even though I have never used any illegal drugs or abused any prescription drugs. Just part of my psychological make-up, not anything I can exercise any conscious control over (you can't forget seeing a teenager dying in front of you from a heroin overdose, and you can't forget a good and decent person getting themselves messed up critically by drug abuse). A good polygraph examiner will listen to my explanations and tailor the polygraph to test the validity of my responses based upon that history and psychology. An examiner who does a "by the book" exam will always note my reactions to questions regarding illicit drug use.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Comment

• losjames15
              losjames15 commented
              Editing a comment
              It does and I thank you for your input. In my his defense he said anything that you want to talk about before hand I said no I answered everything before we started. The only thing it seemed he questioned is how do I know the exact time that I would stop smoking weed. I told due to me applying for another police job that’s why. He kept revisiting that and how many times I have claimed to smoke in the past and I said I was never huge on marijuana. I know he was doing his job and in a perfect world I wouldn’t not of gotten a response. However after words he did ask me why there was a response I said I do not know however when he asked if there was anything I was lying about on my application or withholding I passed that question. As well as the question that asked me if I am as honest as I say I am. Who knows it just a waiting game now at this point.

• Iowa #1603
              Iowa #1603 commented
              Editing a comment
              I know the exact time I stopped smoking cigarettes.........

I will say at no point did I feel like I did not get a fair shake I thought he was being a unsavory person, but did not feel it was unfair.

Comment

I do not know why it’s so hard for them to believe that someone could remember a date like that.
              Last edited by losjames15; 11-09-2019, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• Levithane
                Levithane commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm probably going to get flagged for answering your disbelief since I'm not a leo. The reason they don't believe you is because the large majority of people don't remember exact dates. How do I know this? Whenever I'm conducting someones background investigation for the most part I am only successful in getting estimated dates for whenever an issue occurred or ended.

• losjames15
                losjames15 commented
                Editing a comment
                That makes sense the only reason I could give that date is that the cpd hiring date had just opened up. However my main concern is whether or not that would be grounds for a fail or if it looks at the test as a whole.

• Levithane
                Levithane commented
                Editing a comment
                The test is outside of your control, just go about your day like you never took it and apply to other jobs.

Originally posted by losjames15 View Post
              I do not know why it’s so hard for them to believe that someone could remember a date like that.
              It may just be the circumstances that they might be questioning...... It looks like you were smoking marijuana 1 day, 2 years ago and decided you wanted to be the popo. WTF? What happened to change you like that? What was in that stuff?

Comment

• losjames15
                losjames15 commented
                Editing a comment
                It was that good stuff of course lol. I do get why that seems strange, but if you want something than you should be willing to do what it takes to get there and I know smoking weed is a no go for the police department so I was like I’m done.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12671 users online. 499 members and 12172 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X