X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beard During the Hiring Process

Hi Everyone,

I have a pretty simple question;

In the coming weekends I have several hiring process related events for multiple departments in Connecticut such as written exams, oral boards, and ride alongs. I currently have a beard and mustache, both of which are neatly kept. The beard isn't long, as it does not extend below my jaw line. It's about 1/3 inch thick. Should I shave this for the hiring process? I've heard mixed reviews in speaking with a few retired LEOs that I know personally, but I wanted to open this up to a forum as well.

Thank you in advance!

Shave. Retired people aren’t the ones who are on the hiring panel.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Shave. Beards are a fairly new luxury allowed in uniform. Not everyone is on board with it. You never know who approves and who doesn't.

If you get the job you'll probably have to shave your head anyway. It's temporary.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist1 View Post
        Shave. Beards are a fairly new luxury allowed in uniform. Not everyone is on board with it. You never know who approves and who doesn't.
        This.

There are still plenty of administrators who don't like beards in LE and plenty of departments that prohibit them under policy. Better to err on the side of caution and shave it...if a department hires you and they permit beards, then you can just grow it back.
        "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
        -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

I wouldn't go to an interview for a police job with a beard.

Mustache yes, beard no
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Shave it all, mustache and beard. Professionalism is a must at this stage.

I personally think beards in uniform are unprofessional anyways, but if the Admin says its ok, that is their perogative.

Haircut as well. You talking maybe 30 minutes to an hour for these Officers to make a judgement on you that can affect the rest of your potential career.
            John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

Let me ask - is you ego so tied up in your beard that you can't shave it off as the price of getting a great job?

If after shaving it off, no one hires you, you can always grow it back.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

When I was going through the hiring process, no one from my agency ever saw me in anything other than a pressed suit with a clean shave and a fresh haircut.

I can't believe the number of applicants I see showing up looking like a bag of crap, including their dirty car with expired plates and illegal tint. All that stuff gets noticed.

Comment

I was at an academy recently and about a third of the class had beards. Not just regular beards, but big bushy ones. Arm tats as well... as in both sleeves, down to the wrists. These were guys in their early to mid 20s.

They looked like SF operators, except without shemaghs wrapped around their necks. I asked one of the instructors if they were prior military. Answer: "No. That's just how many of our trainees present themselves these days."

So rock the beard. Many Millennials do...

I used to be a banker but I lost interest.

-Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                    I was at an academy recently and about a third of the class had beards. Not just regular beards, but big bushy ones. Arm tats as well... as in both sleeves, down to the wrists. These were guys in their early to mid 20s.

They looked like SF operators, except without shemaghs wrapped around their necks. I asked one of the instructors if they were prior military. Answer: "No. That's just how many of our trainees present themselves these days."

So rock the beard. Many Millennials do...
                    Tattoos are a different (stickier) discussion. There are plenty of old school administrators who don't like tattoos either, but you can't trim off a tattoo.
                    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Shave it!

I also don't think a beard looks professional in uniform.

Comment

Stop trimming and tell them you're participating in 'No Shave November'.

Comment

I'm personally neither here nor there on the whole beard-in-uniform thing. My department allows it, and I've occasionally grown mine out...at least, until my wife complained too much.

I would say my department doesn't see it as a negative in the hiring process, as long as it's neatly trimmed -- Grizzly Adams need not apply.

With that said, if it were me I'd err on the side of caution. As many others have pointed out, beards and haircuts grow back.

On a side but related note, I'm always amazed at the way some people present themselves for interviews, whether in the public or private sector. During our last process a guy showed up directly from his job as a mechanic -- complete with greasy hands and dirty coveralls (at least I could confirm his name, as it was on his chest). I get that some people don't have a lot of flexibility to get away from one job to apply for another, but come on...go home 'sick' for a half day and at least take a shower and put on clean clothes.

Comment

I am the only person at my agency who is allowed to have a beard, everyone else can have a goatee. I was clean-shaven for my interview, a recent hire was bearded. I would recommend doing some research about the agency's policies and culture, knowledge which would benefit you during the interview anyway. At the very least, you should look like you fit within the standards for that agency (dress for the job you want, not the job you have). And, since there are 17,985 law enforcement agencies in the US, you have quite a lot of options; if they are of the old-school mindset "better not get out of your car without your hat on; you don't need an AR-15; load-bearing vests that don't destroy your back and cause medical expenses through the roof are too aggressive; beards are unprofessional" then there is certainly another agency out there more concerned about fighting crime and keeping officers alive/healthy than extreme micromanagement.

Consistently more positive perceptions of social/physical attractiveness, personality, competency, and composure:
                            https://www.ingentaconnect.com/conte...00001/art00019

Men with beards are perceived as having more expertise than clean-shaven:
                            https://link.springer.com/chapter/10...319-07293-7_25

Besides, isn't it really cold in Connecticut?

Comment

What is the big deal with just shaving for the interviews? You are that shallow that you can’t go out into the world without your precious “operator” beard?

Grow the F up.
                              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12686 users online. 499 members and 12187 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X