Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview Question.

Hello All,

I have been applying and interviewing with several agencies in my home state and for interviews I was told the following applies for interviews.
    • Suit, preferably dark in color, a nice conservative dress shirt that fits well and is of a "neutral" color (white, off-white, light blue, gray, or light tan) with a complementary tie that matches and isn't too outlandish. Belt and shoes should be polished if necessary and no cracks. Jewelry should be a minimum, no earrings for men, stud earrings for ladies. Watch and wedding ring is acceptable as well as a tie bar, but not too ornamental. Basic is better.
    • My second question, and this is why I started this thread, as far as bringing items to interviews I have been told I shouldn't bring anything with me. Yet, either before or after my interviews where I am able to see other candidates, some of them have presentation folders with them. I am curious on what they are bringing. Are they copies of their resumes? Are they notes they have taken regarding the department? Study notes if if you will. I am just wondering what was is considered appropriate items to bring, if any, and what is not appropriate.

First part is correct. Gray or navy blue suit, conservative tie and shoes. No bling.

Second, if the department you're interviewing with said to bring nothing, then bring nothing.

Myself, I bring a business planner with a copy of my resume and a notepad. That way I have a copy just in case they don't have it and I can write down future dates and times if they are mentioned: PT test, psych, follow up interview, etc. It also gives me something to do with my hands.

I also do write down the name of the hiring manager, etc to look at just before I go in.

I've never had to use the copy of my resume but if I'm going to have the planner anyway might as well bring one.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

I should have clarified regarding the bringing items with me to interviews. I wasn't being specific, but I was told it applies to all interviews. I haven't had a department specifically tell me not to bring something unless it was applicable to a written test...example no smart phones. Generally, I also don't know who the hiring manager or interview panel I am meeting with until I am already in the room.

Comment

Clean shaven. I know, beards are becoming more and more common but err on the side of caution. Recent haircut. No cologne. No white or light colored socks (I've seen this).
        Get a good night's sleep. At minimum have a black pen. Stash a handkerchief or kleenix in one of your pockets. The last thing you need is to sneeze and not have one.
        Remember to breathe and remember, these are just human beings. They've been where you are.
        Good luck to you.

Comment

Something like a business type planner or portfolio case should be ok. Just in case they ask for something, it would be impressive if you could give it to them right then and there.
          I use to have one and kept dates and times of past employers, copies of my discharge papers and other documents. Never had anyone ask for a resume but just in case keep one, for that department, in it. Definitely have a pen and small note pad on you.

If you take a phone turn it off before you go into the interview.

I agree with the others on dress and appearance.
          Last edited by westside popo; 10-30-2019, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
            Something like a business type planner or portfolio case should be ok. Just in case they ask for something, it would be impressive if you could give it to them right then and there.
            I use to have one and kept dates and times of past employers, copies of my discharge papers and other documents. Never had anyone ask for a resume but just in case keep one, for that department, in it. Definitely have a pen and small note pad on you.

If you take a phone turn it off before you go into the interview.

I agree with the others on dress and appearance.
            This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

They generally have a copy of their resume and copies of assorted training certs, asked for paperwork, etc. Yes, you dress like you want a professional job -- not the evening shift at the local car wash.

Comment

You should wear very bright colored socks to let them know how unique you are

Comment

I've always taken a portfolio case with me to interviews. It gave me something to write down information on. I also have a tendency to take multiple resumes with me that I hand to the interviewers at the start of the interview (if they don't already have my resume and just have an application)...it's worked out sometimes (read with interest), not so much others (glanced over briefly or been told that they'll ask for a resume later in the process). Resumes should be limited to 1-2 pages for LE...hit the job highlights, list your best references, and any good training you might have.

The rest is spot on...suit, shined shoes, fresh haircut, keep the fragrances to a minimum, etc. I'd also recommend a hankie or small cloth in your pocket...not to blow your nose, but to wipe the potential sweaty palm on the down-low before you (firmly) shake hands.
                  Last edited by Bing_Oh; 10-30-2019, 04:15 PM.
                  "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Thank you, this is very insightful.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12626 users online. 493 members and 12133 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X