Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Staying motivated during the hiring process?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Staying motivated during the hiring process?

Hello all,

I’ve been actively trying to get hired in law enforcement for a year and I’ve just been having no luck at all. I applied to 25 agencies so far ranging from small town PDs to federal agencies. A handful of agencies I’ve completed the process and wasn’t selected or I’ve made it to the final review stage. Every time I’ve sat down with a BI, they ask how haven’t I been hired yet. I’ve had no issue passing a polygraph either.

My background:
    60 college credits (no degree)
    2 1/2 years in the USMC Reserves
    2 speeding tickets
    An underage drinking ticket from college (2015)

Despite family being in trouble with the law (parents) I’ve managed to stay away from trouble besides the speeding and underage. It’s discouraging to be constantly told no even when things are looking very good and my friends are getting hired. How did you all manage to stay motivated during the process?
    Last edited by Majors; 10-29-2019, 12:19 PM.
    "A man can be beaten in two ways if he dies or if he gives up."
    "For those I love I will sacrifice."

By keep on keeping on.

Comment

I used to be a banker but I lost interest.

-Steven Wright

Comment

• Aidokea
        Aidokea commented
        Editing a comment
        Let's get out of here, before one of those things kills Guy...

• Ratatatat
        Ratatatat commented
        Editing a comment
        By Gramthar’s hammer, by the sins if Worvan, you will be avenged..

• Aidokea
        Aidokea commented
        Editing a comment
        They were termites...or dalmatians...I can't really remember- I was kind of hung over...

• GangGreen712
        GangGreen712 commented
        Editing a comment
        What is this thing? I mean, it serves no useful purpose for there to be a bunch of chompy, crushy things in the middle of a hallway.

Get a bachelors

Comment

Originally posted by Saluki89 View Post
        Get a bachelors
        I would but I don’t have the money for it right now

Comment

• Saluki89
          Saluki89 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok but understand a great deal of applicants have one and you always be competing against that. 60 credits with no degree basically equates to no college. Many places require a minimum of a bachelors. Good luck.

Originally posted by Majors View Post
        Hello all,

I’ve been actively trying to get hired in law enforcement for a year and I’ve just been having no luck at all. I applied to 25 agencies so far ranging from small town PDs to federal agencies. A handful of agencies I’ve completed the process and wasn’t selected or I’ve made it to the final review stage. Every time I sent down with a BI they ask why haven’t I been hired yet. I’ve had no issue passing a polygraph either.

My background:
        60 college credits (no degree)
        2 1/2 years in the USMC Reserves
        2 speeding tickets
        An underage drinking ticket from college

Despite family being in trouble with the law (parents) I’ve managed to stay away from trouble besides the speeding and underage. It’s discouraging to be constantly told no even when things are looking very good and my friends are getting hired. How did you all manage to stay motivated during the process?
        Last time I looked at the stats.....2 yrs and 20 or so applications isn't all that out of line for new officers coming on line........

It really isn't all that unusual to be 22 and unable to get hired. You are young.....................you are REALLY young
        You have plenty of time to get hired before you are "too old"

I was hired at my first agency at 21, my second at 23................I was too young for either . (you don't' want to know how many applications & denials )

23 yrs later when I was a Lieutenant doing interviews for new staff I came to the understanding that had I interviewed the 21 or 23 yr old me I would have NEVER hired the person ...During that time I decided that all things equal I wouldn't recommend hiring ANYONE under 25..............but was usually over ruled by policy and/or my supervisors....................

On face value using the information you have provided as gospel, I don't see any disqualifying problems, but also I don't see anything that stands out enough to put you head and shoulders above what I normally see as your competition.

MOST applicants today will have (normal circumstance....average applicant )

- a full enlistment in the regular military services. AND multiple deployments
        - At least an Associates Degree
        - ZERO traffic tickets
        - NO underage drinking problems

Ideas....................finish your AA and start working on a 4 yr degree
        5-7 yrs between your last citation and your hire
        Give the underage drinking another couple years

All in all I see you getting hired.................keep plugging and keep trying & someone will hire you.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

It took me roughly 8 years of trying to get hired before someone noticed me. I started when I was 21 and had no baggage.

Looking back, I was woefully unprepared at that age to handle this job. I'm not saying that's you, but just something to think about. Only a handful of my academy graduates were under age 25. Most were late 20's early 30's.

If you really want it, just work on making yourself better and learn to be patient.

Comment

A year may seem like a long time, but it's not in this circumstance, as others have pointed out.

Are you willing/able to move? There are some areas that have an ungodly number of applicants for just a few spots. Other areas are competing with nearby agencies for decent recruits. You look great on paper for someone here. (Atlanta). Keep in mind that if you do move to get hired, you can always lateral back to wherever you'd prefer to live after a few years.

Do you speak more than one language? If not, learn one. American Sign Language is an often overlooked one, but Spanish is always useful too. I don't mean start taking college level courses, those don't work. There are ALOT of language programs Youtube, Amazon, etc. It's very possible to teach yourself.

Add to your already respectable background by keeping consistent employment, no more tickets, and don't get into debt.
            Good luck, hang in there.

Last thought, live your quote (I like that).
            Last edited by Zeitgeist1; 10-29-2019, 11:01 AM.

Comment

You must always keep in mind that you are competing against all other applicants in the hiring pool. Those with the best educational credentials, applicable experience, job stability, maturity levels, and cleanest backgrounds will usually be selected ahead of those having lesser credentials. The fact that you complete the process and not offered a position is not a rejection of you, it is only an affirmation of the overall quality of the hiring pool.

Completing your degree program will display commitment and drive to improve yourself and your value to the department. Becoming fluent in a second language is an excellent qualification for most departments (preferably a language in common use in your area; here in Colorado I recommend Spanish over Mandarin Chinese, for example). Serving as a volunteer (law enforcement agency, youth athletic league, suicide crisis line, or other public service-type positions) provides a very strong point in your favor.

If your state has self-sponsored academies offering basic peace officer certification, completion of such a program will make you a very desirable candidate for many smaller agencies (saving the hiring authority the expense of sponsoring you through the accreditation program, several months of salary, benefits, and related expenses).

As others have pointed out, the willingness to relocate may increase your chances significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist1 View Post
                A year may seem like a long time, but it's not in this circumstance, as others have pointed out.

Are you willing/able to move? There are some areas that have an ungodly number of applicants for just a few spots. Other areas are competing with nearby agencies for decent recruits. You look great on paper for someone here. (Atlanta). Keep in mind that if you do move to get hired, you can always lateral back to wherever you'd prefer to live after a few years.

Do you speak more than one language? If not, learn one. American Sign Language is an often overlooked one, but Spanish is always useful too. I don't mean start taking college level courses, those don't work. There are ALOT of language programs Youtube, Amazon, etc. It's very possible to teach yourself.

Add to your already respectable background by keeping consistent employment, no more tickets, and don't get into debt.
                Good luck, hang in there.

Last thought, live your quote (I like that).
                I have no problem with moving the only issue is making sure I have the funds lined up to travel for the process, I know that some departments will work with you to group parts of the process together. I’m currently in the process with a few agencies, the agency I’m furthest along with is a city who I’m towards the tail end of backgrounds which if I pass I just have the psych and medical left to do. I definitely want to go back to school to finish my degree but at the current time it isn’t feasible. I will definitely look into the language programs. Thank you all for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by Majors View Post

I have no problem with moving the only issue is making sure I have the funds lined up to travel for the process, I know that some departments will work with you to group parts of the process together. I’m currently in the process with a few agencies, the agency I’m furthest along with is a city who I’m towards the tail end of backgrounds which if I pass I just have the psych and medical left to do. I definitely want to go back to school to finish my degree but at the current time it isn’t feasible. I will definitely look into the language programs. Thank you all for the advice!
                  One of my Academy classmates earned his Master's while working nights. After about 3am, things slow down. There is plenty of time to finish school if that's what you want.

Comment

I don't see much of anything that would put you ahead of any other 22 year old here in CA and to be hired at 22 here is pretty rare. When I was hired as a local I was 29. That just happened to be the average age of hire in CA at the time. Don't know what it is now. I can't think of a single local officer under the age of 26 who I would want to answer a call for service made by me. But there aren't that many around so it's not like I have worked with a ton of them.

​​​​​​My federal job took 2.5 years to get through the process. I know people that it took 7 years from application to starting with my agency. So if you are concerned about federal applications I would say prepare to wait.

Local agencies do tend to move quicker but not that much in my experience. I've heard of hiring moving a lot quicker in other states but in CA, 6 months would be very quick.

As far as how to stay motivated, all I can say is this is the only job where I know people routinely do it for free (reserves). I knew reserve officers making 6 figures in retirement and officers who worked in mid 6 figures tech jobs that did this stuff for fun. If that doesn't motivate you I'm not sure what would.

Comment

I don't think it's his education, nor do I think it's his age. I got hired (twice) without even a high school diploma, at the very first agencies I applied to, and I see lots of 20 and 21 year old applicants getting hired.

There's gotta be something else going on here...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12682 users online. 497 members and 12185 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X