300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rutgers Police NJ Oral board

First I would like to say hello to all and it's a pleasure to be a new member in this forum.

I recently had a community oral board with 2 civilian and 2 patrol Officers for my first interview. It went well as I was very detailed and articulate with my responses. After the interview ended, I received an email 4 hours after I left that I would be moving forward to the supervisory oral board next week.

The interview went great in my eyes, they referred to how well I performed in the first interview and asked me basically the same kind of questions. After the supervisory oral board was over, they asked me if I had any questions. I said yes indeed I do and pulled out typed up questions out of my folder and they were highly impressed. I even noticed they picked up their pens to write more while I was asking them. The LT. In the middle stated," I felt like I was on the interview, I started to sweat. I like you". To end the story I shook their hands while l looking them in their eyes.

(Here's where my question will start to form).
    The supervisory board still have not gotten back to me and it's been 3 weeks now. My cop buddy that has been through the process told me that the 2nd oral would be the deciding factor if I gotten the job. I sent an email last week thanking them for the interview and they responded 2 days later stating ,"the email has been received, the process is still on going, you'l receive notice for any updates" I'm starting to wonder if I didn't do such a great job for this one. Only because the Community Oral responded so swiftly after I finished.
    I never had a police oral move me forward so fast it shocked me.

Do any of you think I'm still a valid candidate in the process, even if it's been 3 weeks? I would like some input if any can be received. Thanks again for reading my situation!

Originally posted by joereed View Post
    First I would like to say hello to all and it's a pleasure to be a new member in this forum.

I recently had a community oral board with 2 civilian and 2 patrol Officers for my first interview. It went well as I was very detailed and articulate with my responses. After the interview ended, I received an email 4 hours after I left that I would be moving forward to the supervisory oral board next week.

The interview went great in my eyes, they referred to how well I performed in the first interview and asked me basically the same kind of questions. After the supervisory oral board was over, they asked me if I had any questions. I said yes indeed I do and pulled out typed up questions out of my folder and they were highly impressed. I even noticed they picked up their pens to write more while I was asking them. The LT. In the middle stated," I felt like I was on the interview, I started to sweat. I like you". To end the story I shook their hands while l looking them in their eyes.

(Here's where my question will start to form).
    The supervisory board still have not gotten back to me and it's been 3 weeks now. My cop buddy that has been through the process told me that the 2nd oral would be the deciding factor if I gotten the job. I sent an email last week thanking them for the interview and they responded 2 days later stating ,"the email has been received, the process is still on going, you'l receive notice for any updates" I'm starting to wonder if I didn't do such a great job for this one. Only because the Community Oral responded so swiftly after I finished.
    I never had a police oral move me forward so fast it shocked me.

Do any of you think I'm still a valid candidate in the process, even if it's been 3 weeks? I would like some input if any can be received. Thanks again for reading my situation!

What questions did you ask them? Questions are fine but the wrong questions can leave a bad impression.

The Lt could have been genuinely impressed or just told you that to get you out of there. But you may be fine and they're working on your file. It's the wait and see part of the process.

Keep applying until someone hires you.
    Last edited by westside popo; 10-23-2019, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post

What questions did you ask them? Questions are fine but the wrong questions can leave a bad impression.

The Lt could have been genuinely impressed or just told you that to get you out of there. But you may be fine and they're working on your file. It's the wait and see part of the process.

Keep applying until someone hires you.

I asked them crime statics questions for the current year as I had the previous numbers of last year and praised them for doing so well for keeping it low. The follow question was, what were the tools and strategies to keep their numbers at 0%. I asked a total of 5 questions and after he said, "I like you" he finished that sentenced saying he wants another one and make it hard. So I don't think the Lt. was trying to push me out. It's funny, the Sgt. was eyeing him down waiting for his response so I could tell the humor behind that.

This is my first time getting to the 2nd phase of an Oral board so I don't know what to expect, maybe you're right, its definitely a waiting game which I'm pulling my hair out.

Comment

That sounds good! I too would be a little impressed with some questions like that.

But keep applying to other departments until one gives you a start date.

Comment

Originally posted by joereed View Post
          ,"the email has been received, the process is still on going, you'l receive notice for any updates"
          There is your answer
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• joereed
            joereed commented
            Editing a comment
            I appreciate your response! I figured it was more of a cookie cutter email sent by the department that maybe one of the experienced people like yourself could spot a different meaning of it. No news is good news in some cases!( what I'm telling myself)

Try to be patient. Easier said than done, I know. I'm speculating, but this is a busy time of year for a University PD. Football games, etc. It may not seem like it but 3 weeks really isn't a long time. I agree w/ Westside PoPo. Keep applying. If I had it to do over again I would've gone w/ a Campus PD. Good benefits. Good luck.

Comment

• joereed
            joereed commented
            Editing a comment
            You're absolutely right, as a former student of Rutgers. I just attended the football game and homecoming held outside the stadium. So I can understand where their properties are at the moment. I honestly didn't even consider that which makes me feel more at ease. I'll keep applying since the civil service is coming up shortly. Thanks again for the reassurance!

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12626 users online. 489 members and 12137 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X