Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Made a bad decision...are my chances ruined?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made a bad decision...are my chances ruined?

I am applying for an internship with a police department and they are having me fill out a PHS. One of the questions is asking about drug use/abuse in the past 36 months. A couple of months ago I had a really bad migraine that resulted in me vomiting for hours. My head felt as if it were going to explode. While I was searching for OTC pain relievers I noticed an expired pill bottle (2015) with hydrocodone in it. It was my mother's and she had left it there from a previous visit. I took the OTC pain relievers but after several hours the pain was still not going away so out of desperation I went and took half of one of the hydrocodones. I have no intentions of lying about this on my PHS. My question is how bad is this going to look? Is it worth even applying? This is the only real negative on my PHS. Thank you.

Originally posted by RobynLuth87 View Post
    I am applying for an internship with a police department and they are having me fill out a PHS. One of the questions is asking about drug use/abuse in the past 36 months. A couple of months ago I had a really bad migraine that resulted in me vomiting for hours. My head felt as if it were going to explode. While I was searching for OTC pain relievers I noticed an expired pill bottle (2015) with hydrocodone in it. It was my mother's and she had left it there from a previous visit. I took the OTC pain relievers but after several hours the pain was still not going away so out of desperation I went and took half of one of the hydrocodones. I have no intentions of lying about this on my PHS. My question is how bad is this going to look? Is it worth even applying? This is the only real negative on my PHS. Thank you.
    Why didn't you go to the doctor or ER?

Comment

• RobynLuth87
      RobynLuth87 commented
      Editing a comment
      I did not have anyone to take me to ER and an ambulance ride would have put me in debt which I realize now would be better to have on my record than this. I have had migraines like this before but aleve or aspirin along with sleep usually helped. I think this migraine in particular was due to dehydration or heat exhaustion or both.

All you can do now is to be completely up-front and straightforward in admitting your mistake and make it clear that you have determined never again to do such a thing.

Apparently you were not charged with any violation or convicted of any crime, so there is no overt disqualifying incident. Keep in mind that you will be competing against multiple other applicants, and when the final cut is made you may be passed over in favor of another applicant of similar qualifications but without this error in judgement in his/her history.

Comment

• RobynLuth87
      RobynLuth87 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your honesty. I appreciate it. Do you think this looks worse than someone with previous marijuana use or drug abuse which was mainly to get high?

Be honest.

Comment

It's an internship. Just apply, be honest, and see what happens. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Based soley on what you indicated and assuming there is no other derogatory information in your background, I don't see a big deal here. But, that's just me. As the others have said, just be honest about it.
          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

For an internship I don't see it being a major issue. I never used any medications like that but I can sympathize with you on the migraines.

Comment

• RobynLuth87
              RobynLuth87 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you!

Originally posted by RobynLuth87 View Post
            I believe Hydrocodone is a Schedule-II drug, so it's going to be an issue.

Tell the truth. The theft and possession of a Schedule-II narcotic is one thing, but lying about it (even by just not telling them about it), would be MUCH worse.

Comment

• RobynLuth87
              RobynLuth87 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you. I totally agree that honesty is the best policy. I was discussing this with a friend who also wants to go into law enforcement and he wasnt aware this type of thing would be an issue. He said when he was a kid anytime he would have serious back pain(played football) his mother would give him one of her prescription meds. So now hes worried that his mother has ruined his career before it's even started. Is it just as bad if it happened when you were a kid and didn't know what you were taking?

An underage child taking medication provided to him by his mother is, in my opinion, blameless. The mother might be subject to felony charges for unlawful distribution of controlled substances, but probably unlikely to be convicted; I can hear the argument to the jury now "I was just trying to relieve my beloved son from unbearable pain and suffering" or something like that.

Comment

• RobynLuth87
              RobynLuth87 commented
              Editing a comment
              So now my friend has to decide between getting his mother in trouble with the law or not going forward with his LE dreams? What are the chances they will actually charge the mother based on a 20 year old crime? What should my friend do in this case?

Your friend should do what I have always advised every young applicant to do, and that is to be completely up-front and honest at every step of the process.

The chances of your friend's mother of being prosecuted are somewhere between extremely slim and none at all.

An applicant's history is the applicant's history. The applicant needs to take ownership of that history, report it without embellishment or prevarication, and expect the results to be reflected in the overall assessment of his suitability in comparison with every other applicant in the hiring pool.

Comment

• RobynLuth87
              RobynLuth87 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you. He was going to be honest about it but if it was going to get his mother in trouble he was basically going to give up on his dreams. He had no desire to lie. I will let him know that it is more than likely safe for him (and his mother) to continue pursuing a career in law enforcement.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12684 users online. 497 members and 12187 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X