300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• psych eval....... what in the??

First I just wanted to say thanks for all the great information on this site. It has helped me greatly through this incredibly long hiring process.Currently I am at the tail end of the hiring process for San Diego Sheriffs Dept. Written test, background, cvsa, lieutenant interview, all finished and now.... The psych eval. I took the written portion earlier this morning and I still do not know what to think. I was honest, but I know some of my answers contradicted others and I know from reading the posts here that consistency is the key.I am not just one way all the time. That test was horrible and the whole time I was worried about being consistent only to realize I was making myself crazy. Anyway I was given an interview date with the psychologist in a few days and I was wondering what to expect? The test will be scored and I'm sure we will discuss the outcome but I was just wondering if anyone had gone through this process recently? I think I may just be giving this way too much thought
    Thanks so much

The Doc may or may not discuss your results on the written portion. It is my experience that you'll be questioned about your feelings concerning LE, how your family feels about it, and why you want to get into this line of work.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Psych EvaL

There's something else that will make you crazy as well. That's agonizing and second guessing yourself over the written psych. I know it's easy for me to say, and difficult for you to do, but if you can, try to relax. Get your mind off the test, and the coming interview. Kick back, watch a flic, go to the beach,do something other than worry. Sure, the worry will come back once in awhile, but it won't be nearly as bad as when you simply sit there, and agonize over the test. Hope things go well for you

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Yeah im tryin to relax but i keep second guessing my answers. Its funny because many questions on the test were asking if I dwell on things and I put NO.... go figure. The main questions I am thinking about are the ones that delt with following rules and I think I came off looking like I dont like to follow rules. Questions like "did you have many rules growing up" NO, "do you feel it is okay for someone to bend the rules, but not break them" yes, and there were about a hundred or so of those types of questions. I was honest so hopefully that comes through. Another one I am thinking about is the question that asked something like "would you rather be a soldier, or a ______" I think it was lead singer in a band or something. I chose the one that was not a soldier. Is that bad? Anyway thanks for the advice ..... I hope I pass, not only to get hired on with a great dept, but also to NEVER have to do one of these again!

Comment

It gets better the polygraph

Wait until you are sitting in a nice recliner looking in a mirror while the operator asks the questions. Usually it is 100 questions and the computer randomly selects 10. You get to go over all the questions before the laptop is used. Be honest because the system is sensitive. If the voice stress test is used in conjunction it adds a new dimension of fear but just talk normally if that is possible. My questions were relatively simple although I had a neutral response to prior employment history. This is normal because most people do not know exact start and quit dates. If you have worked for several agencies it can become cloudy when it comes to job duties, responsibility, and generally what is right and wrong. Some policies may be accepted at one agency where others may consider it something else. Whatever you do do not use the tack in the shoe, biting the tongue, or empty thought methods to decieve the machine. They don't work. One other thing do not take any painkillers before the test.
          I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.

Comment

I too have taken the exact test for the SD Sheriff psyc. I had the oral interview with the doc and I was told by my background investigator the next day that I passed. The interview only took about 10 minutes. There was only a couple of questions he had with the test but it was no sweat.

Comment

When I had my psyc test done (first one I had ever taken) I started laughing at the questions. This action drew the attention of the Doc. He asked what was funny... I said and I pointed out one question Did I ever fight with my mother. I don't know what teenaged girl growing up in the 70's (now telling my age) that didn't fight with their mother. Couldn't believe the questions. To freaking funny. I passed obviously, but I found the questions hilarious.

Have you ever wanted to be a florist?
              Have you ever wanted to be a dancer?
              Did you ever fight with your family members?

Come on who hasn't. Depending on your definition of fighting. verbal or physical.
              If you can't be honest with yourself who can you be honest with.

Comment

Originally posted by taz1802 View Post
                Have you ever wanted to be a florist?
                Have you ever wanted to be a dancer?
                Did you ever fight with your family members?

Come on who hasn't. Depending on your definition of fighting. verbal or physical.
                I've never wanted to be a florist....
                sigpic
                NSP Class 52

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5026 users online. 280 members and 4746 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X