300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needing some Advice...

I have been wanting to go into Law Enforcement and I am in the application process right now for an agency. I did an internship with them and they convinced me to apply for an actual job position. At the time I was super thrilled about it, but as reality is setting in, I now I feel like I jumped the gun too soon. I am not even out of college yet. I graduate in a few months, and their academy starts 2 weeks after I graduate college. I feel as if I am not ready yet because I went to high school, to college (and graduating early for that matter), and 2 weeks after I graduate college I begin a 6 month academy and onto a 25+ year career before retirement. I have never had a real job because I come from a family to focus on my grades and think "school is my work." I am beginning to like the idea of enjoying the real world for a few years with a different job to gain some experience and maturity before I go into Law Enforcement. Now the question I have for you guys is, is it frowned upon to randomly quit during the application process? After I have matured and gained real work experience for 3-4 years, and I apply for a Law Enforcement position when I am ready, will that same agency or another agency question my ability to do the job/commitment because I called off my first application process? What do you guys think I should do? I just don't want to be rejected later on the road because I quit during my first process. I would hope they understand I recognize I am not mentally fit for the job yet, but I don't know. Thanks in advance.

If you're this unsure of yourself you'll never make it through the hiring process anyway so you might as well carry on and let the system make the choice for you.

Comment

Originally posted by dms45 View Post
      I have been wanting to go into Law Enforcement and I am in the application process right now for an agency. I did an internship with them and they convinced me to apply for an actual job position. At the time I was super thrilled about it, but as reality is setting in, I now I feel like I jumped the gun too soon. I am not even out of college yet. I graduate in a few months, and their academy starts 2 weeks after I graduate college. I feel as if I am not ready yet because I went to high school, to college (and graduating early for that matter), and 2 weeks after I graduate college I begin a 6 month academy and onto a 25+ year career before retirement. I have never had a real job because I come from a family to focus on my grades and think "school is my work." I am beginning to like the idea of enjoying the real world for a few years with a different job to gain some experience and maturity before I go into Law Enforcement. Now the question I have for you guys is, is it frowned upon to randomly quit during the application process? After I have matured and gained real work experience for 3-4 years, and I apply for a Law Enforcement position when I am ready, will that same agency or another agency question my ability to do the job/commitment because I called off my first application process? What do you guys think I should do? I just don't want to be rejected later on the road because I quit during my first process. I would hope they understand I recognize I am not mentally fit for the job yet, but I don't know. Thanks in advance.
      You're assuming you will get selected the first time. By the way law enforcement is real work experience! Nobody is going to care if you dropped out. And it doesn't look like you're mature enough if you have to ask questions like this.

Good luck with what ever you eventually decide.

Comment

If YOU feel you are not ready, you should not be applying

Remove yourself from the process and move on
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Saluki89 View Post
          If you're this unsure of yourself you'll never make it through the hiring process anyway so you might as well carry on and let the system make the choice for you.
          MAYBE the hiring process, but almost certainly not FTO and probation...

If you doubt your maturity and readiness to do the job, it's much better to drop out of the process than it is to get terminated on FTO or probation.
          "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
          -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

People drop out of the hiring process all of the time. What I would do in your particular case is send the chief a nice letter letting him (?) know that you appreciate the opportunity, but that you would like to explore the civilian job sector for a few years before deciding if law enforcement is for you.

Comment

I can't resist.
              No, you come from a family that has the means to consider school 'your work.'

Please take this as constructive criticism. When you get out in the corporate world, or wherever your future lies, don't say things like that.
              You never know what the person you're speaking to had to go through to earn their degree.

You're smart to recognize your hesitation. Don't waste their time or money until you are sure. Find what career is a good fit for you.
              Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8453 users online. 390 members and 8063 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X