300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How is it like working as a juvenile correctional officer ? Or CO

I was asked these various questions by my current supervisor (who doesn’t work for juvenile CO or CO, but I don’t think he’s 100% it sort of seemed like he’s trying to scare me or something, but this is what he asked me....

"Hey man, you're gonna be in a pod by yourself with 12 guys. What are you gonna do if one of them doesn't want to go to their rooms or starts acting out and you have no staff to help you out because you're on your own? Staff there only cares about themselves and won’t cover your back, no one there will be there to help you out "

"Did you know you're on you're on your own out there and you can't be asking your supervisor for help or else he's gonna a be like what's going on here"

"I'm concern about your safety man. You gotta have that grit and you don't have it. You just need some grit in you"

You will receive TRAINING for the job.

Should you decide AFTER training and working in the system after a while that you don't like it you can resign. There is no stigma attached to finding out you are not cut out for a LE / Corrections job
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Thank you do you believe it’s difficult at first ?

Comment

Originally posted by pepster2011 View Post
        Thank you do you believe it’s difficult at first ?
        ANYTHING in live worthwhile will probably be difficult
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

What’s the best way to be respected by inmates in the job.

Comment

What’s the best way to be respected by inmates in the job.
            be firm, fair and consistent in dealing with them

Comment

I am not going to give you training in how to be a CO............................question by question. You will either be able to do the job or not.

If you dont' know what the job is all about...................you probably should not apply

Comment

I was asked these various questions by my current supervisor (who doesn’t work for juvenile CO or CO, but I don’t think he’s 100% it sort of seemed like he’s trying to scare me or something, but this is what he asked me....

"Hey man, you're gonna be in a pod by yourself with 12 guys. What are you gonna do if one of them doesn't want to go to their rooms or starts acting out and you have no staff to help you out because you're on your own? Staff there only cares about themselves and won’t cover your back, no one there will be there to help you out "

"Did you know you're on you're on your own out there and you can't be asking your supervisor for help or else he's gonna a be like what's going on here"

"I'm concern about your safety man. You gotta have that grit and you don't have it. You just need some grit in you"
                These are valid questions you should be asking yourself. They are not meant to scare you, but rather to ensure you are mentally prepared for the reality of working as a corrections officer.
                "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

I know what the job is about. First things first, security, warfare and safety and then comes the supervision and redirecting part

Comment

I know what the job is about. First things first, security, warfare and safety and then comes the supervision and redirecting part
                    If you know what the job is about, why are you asking questions? You should be answering them.

...and where I started it was you by yourself with up to 55 guys per pod, with six pods to cover, with one other deputy on the floor.

There are lots of ways to handle things, you have to find what works for you. You'll either figure it out or you won't.

Eh, that's a bit of an artificial distinction. All those things have to happen in order for the others to happen. For example, if you don't provide adequate security and the inmates cause a fuss their safety is impacted because you'll have to respond. If you aren't providing the supervision, and they know what you're supposed to do as well or better than you, they won't respect you.... and so on.

Their respect for you keeps you safe, them safe from you and safe from each other. It's all interrelated.
                    Last edited by tanksoldier; 10-03-2019, 10:36 AM.
                    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Do some soul searching. I find the field of Corrections fascinating. But I am not cut out to be a CO. Corrections professionals have my utmost respect. Frankly I was always glad to leave my arrestee at the jail.
                      I enjoyed Policing, for the most part. It was a better fit.
                      Last edited by Zeitgeist1; 10-07-2019, 06:35 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8089 users online. 381 members and 7708 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X