Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hiring & Recruitment Process Questions (Background)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring & Recruitment Process Questions (Background)

So I am currently in the process of a background investigation. My BI sent letters to my references and my old/current employers. I passed the interview, polygraph and now I just need to pass the Background, Psych and medical. However, I currently work at an STRTP home and I’ve been here for two years with juveniles, but my supervisor received the letter from my BI and basically told me that he wrote on it that I “lacked assertiveness” and didn’t believe I would do good as a Juvenile CO. Does anyone know if this would prevent me from getting hired ? Anyone? I’m veey nervous about this. Thanks

Originally posted by pepster2011 View Post
    So I am currently in the process of a background investigation. My BI sent letters to my references and my old/current employers. I passed the interview, polygraph and now I just need to pass the Background, Psych and medical. However, I currently work at an STRTP home and I’ve been here for two years with juveniles, but my supervisor received the letter from my BI and basically told me that he wrote on it that I “lacked assertiveness” and didn’t believe I would do good as a Juvenile CO. Does anyone know if this would prevent me from getting hired ? Anyone? I’m veey nervous about this. Thanks
    It will be factored in by the Background Investigator. Only he/she knows how much it will factor.

BI's tend to be good investigators
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Do you think it’ll effect me a lot I’m a negative way ?

Comment

If your lack of assertiveness does not hinder you, your anxiety might. Relax. It's out of your hands. Your supervisor gave what he believed to be an honest assessment. That is what was asked of him. Seems honorable of him to tell you what he wrote since these reference letters are given in the strictest of confidence. Sometimes the truth hurts. Perhaps do some self-reflection and figure out what you need to do to improve.

Do I think one person's assessment of you will prevent you from getting the job? Impossible for any of us to give you the answer you're looking for. Certainly confidence and assertiveness are desirable qualifications for the position, but these are assessed in many different ways, and there are other factors to consider as well.
        "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

Thank you. I just as starting to overthink a lot. I can be assertive, but there’s never in between with me, in either too assertive, or less assertive. I really thought that reference of me “not being assertive enough” was going to affect my whole hiring process, but who knows. Thank you

are you a CO?

Comment

If your BI is any good, he will come to your place of employment, look at your personnel file, talk to coworkers and other supervisors to ask about your overall performance, attendance, etc. He will look at your performance evaluations and (among other things) see if lack of assertiveness was documented in past performance. He will talk to coworkers and ask if assertiveness was an issue. He will also talk to other supervors and include questions about your assertiveness. If they all agree it is an issue, then depending on the degree, it may be a factor in your hiring. OTOH, if it is just your boss and the others say it is not an issue, then it probably won't be a problem.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

I've did an employment check at Costco on a candidate. The manager said the candidate was somewhat shy and not assertive. I took note on the report and that was it. That wasn't the only candidate where that issue came up. The question of assertiveness is relative to the type of job you're talking about. In the civilian world managers usually mean the employee didn't take initiative to assist customers or go above and beyond the assigned duties. A majority of civilian jobs don't translate to police work. Whether a candidate is overly introverted to the point where they can't confront police situations may be more of an issue for the psych interview.

I agree with what everyone else has said. I'll just add that you should be ok as long as there are no like issues with other employments, etc.
              Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
              http://www.policebackground.net

Comment

Hmmm, let’s say another employees had said the same thing?

Comment

just another item to be factored into the equation
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Would that lessen my chances of getting hired ?

Comment

You’re overthinking this scenario.
                      Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
                      http://www.policebackground.net

Comment

I am cause it’s true

Comment

Let's say.... you should look for another line of work.

Good luck and hope everything works out for you.

Comment

Man it doesn't really hurt you to just apply to several agencies and see what happens. Where I'm from DJJ requires a "personality test" after you apply, and I failed it (though it's supposedly not a pass/fail test). Not long after that an agency sent me to the academy. Cops coming out of corrections are often really good at talking to people (they're not used to having a gun, in a lot of places no OC or Taser either, and might run a whole jail alone). But, they are still different fields, unfortunately corrections is treated more like a stepping stone to the road than a career track in itself. You might not be the best CO but you might be great on the street. Never know until you try, and in the digital age, how hard is it to just fill out an online application and see what happens?

Comment

• pepster2011
                              pepster2011 commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I see what you’re saying. Yes, where I’m applying is in California. Anyhow, I know I have it in me. The assertiveness. It’s just when people tell me “you need to be more assertive” “you need to take initiative” not even on the job, but just in life, it lowers my self esteem and it’s usually with things that don’t matter much that “I don’t take initiative” which is why I don’t, because it’s little things that I don’t care about, on the other hand, with a job, I see certain staff work like me, if not, worse, I think it all depends. Though, but I’m ready for a new career and challenge

I am cause it’s true
                            I've been following this thread. I am a female. If I listened to every person that discouraged me from pursuing a career in law enforcement, I would be minus a few decades of a job I really loved.

Now it's beginning to appear that you're looking for a reason not to apply.
                            If you want it, you'll go for it. If you don't, you won't. Period. Nothing in life is guaranteed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8114 users online. 386 members and 7728 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X