300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Treadmill Stress Test

Having just passed the pre-Academy PT test and all the earlier stages, I think all I have left is medical and psych. One of the medical tests I have to do is a "stress test" which, I believe, involves a breathing apparatus and walking/running on a treadmill with increasing incline.

As someone who passed the PT test by the slimmest of margins, is the treadmill test going to be like another PT test all over again, or are they just trying to assess your breathing/heartrate/etc. for medical abnormalities?

It's easy. I had to take one for the first department that I worked at. I did it on my lunch break in steel toe boots and pants.

Comment

• NaturalZero
      NaturalZero commented
      Editing a comment
      For reference, running the 1.5 mile in 14:30 was pretty much the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. How easy would you say the stress test is by comparison?

These stress tests are usually just for the pension and/or insurance to make sure you're not going to die of a massive heart attack if you run half a block on duty. It's not even close to any kind of PT test.
    "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

• NaturalZero
      NaturalZero commented
      Editing a comment
      Now that you mention it, the medical history form for that test is on a Police Pension foundation letterhead.

If you barely passed the PT requirements to not get cut during the hiring process, with a 14:30 1.5 mile run, and that was the hardest thing you've ever done in your life, you're in for a rude awakening. The PT requirements are probably going to get MUCH harder during your academy.

I was 44 years old when I graduated from my last academy, and I did the 1.5 mile run in 9:28, despite never having been a serious runner. The two guys ahead of me, did it in 9:25 and 8:30. The other three finished behind me.

You have some HARD work ahead of you, if you want to make it to graduation day...
    Last edited by Aidokea; 09-28-2019, 10:26 PM.

Comment

• Bing_Oh
      Bing_Oh commented
      Editing a comment
      If the poster's profile info is correct, OPOTA standards to graduate the academy under age 29 is 11:58 for males or 14:15 for females for the mile and a half. When a department in Ohio has fitness standards, they generally mirror OPOTA's standards (easier to defend in the event of a discrimination lawsuit), so I'm kinda confused with the 14:30 for pre-hire...but maybe the profile info isn't up-to-date or I'm missing something.
      Last edited by Bing_Oh; 09-28-2019, 10:40 PM.

Aidokea
    Bing_Oh

The requirement for the pre-academy placement was to score in at least the 15th percentile. For the run, I had to beat 14:33 minutes and I ran a 14:28. In order to graduate the Academy, as Bing_Oh says, you have to beat the 50th percentile (11:58.)

I am keenly aware that I have an uphill climb when it comes to making it through the Academy. For reference, 10 months ago I weighed 242 lbs, could only do 4-5 push-ups and about 10 sit-ups. Since then I've lost 40 lbs and passed the pre-Academy test with 21 push-ups and 40 sit-ups.

I am taking my fitness seriously and making the changes required to perform as best I can. Prior to deciding to pursue this career, I'd never really run or lifted a day in my life. I know that I still have a long way to go, but I'm working on it.

Comment

• Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      During the PT portion of my academy, we were doing roughly 500 pushups a day on a good day. On a bad day, it was a lot more than that.

You have got a LONG ways to go.

Keep in mind that during your academy, when one person can't keep up, everyone else in the class gets punished for it with painful extra PT. If you are the guy that causes that to happen, the rest of your class is not going to be very happy with you, and you need these people on your side in order to graduate.

I took a stress test at the VA. All they put on me we're sensors to monitor my heart etc. Some of them may have measured other stuff. I don't remember having to breath through a tube on my test. Though that's been 12 to 13 years ago.

They told me to walk not run on the treadmill. But towards the end the inclined it and sped it up so much that any faster and I would have been running.

Unless you have a bad heart you should be good to go.

Comment

• NaturalZero
      NaturalZero commented
      Editing a comment
      The paperwork asked a question about testing for mandatory respirators, but that might have been for Firefighters. I'm not completely sure if the breathing tube is part of the normal test. I guess I'll find out when I go do it next week.

• westside popo
      westside popo commented
      Editing a comment
      That might be the part of the stress test or a separate test.
      A respirator or gas mask isn't a bad idea to have in case of civil unrest.

UPDATE:

The Stress Test was no big deal. I had to stay on the treadmill until I hit the required heart rate, which takes, at minimum 10 minutes. I hit that number at 12 minutes and they stopped the test, and I haven't heard anything back since. They said that, "No news is good news," so I think everything's still going fine.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8187 users online. 394 members and 7793 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X