Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any chance of joining the force?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Any chance of joining the force?

    Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my post. I’ve wanted to be a LEO from a young age and have always held it to be my dream career. Unfortunately, when I was 17 I was arrested for simple battery. It’s a little more complicated than just that, though. Me and my brother had gotten into a physical altercation that evening, which led to the neighbors calling the local sheriffs office. He was 20 at the time and I was still a minor. This was nothing new to us. Whenever we had disagreements that we knew would turn physical, we would just take it outside, brawl, and shake hands at the end of the day. When the police arrived, I took full responsibility because my brother was 20 and me being young and dumb, thought I would suffer no consequence being a minor at the time. My brother pleaded for them not to arrest me but the female cop kept telling us it is considered to be a domestic violence issue. I was arrested and taken to the sheriffs office. They booked and processed me and had my mom pick me up 2 hours later. I was charged with just simple battery, and not domestic battery. I got a call from the state the next morning saying they would not proceed with charges as they thought “the arrest was a little ridiculous”. To this day, I have not gotten in any further trouble and am now 20 years old. I am looking to apply to the same sheriffs office that booked me. Are my chances out the window? Please do not sugarcoat anything, give it time straight. Thank you for reading.

  • #2
    Originally posted by backtheblue22 View Post
    Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my post. I’ve wanted to be a LEO from a young age and have always held it to be my dream career. Unfortunately, when I was 17 I was arrested for simple battery. It’s a little more complicated than just that, though. Me and my brother had gotten into a physical altercation that evening, which led to the neighbors calling the local sheriffs office. He was 20 at the time and I was still a minor. This was nothing new to us. Whenever we had disagreements that we knew would turn physical, we would just take it outside, brawl, and shake hands at the end of the day. When the police arrived, I took full responsibility because my brother was 20 and me being young and dumb, thought I would suffer no consequence being a minor at the time. My brother pleaded for them not to arrest me but the female cop kept telling us it is considered to be a domestic violence issue. I was arrested and taken to the sheriffs office. They booked and processed me and had my mom pick me up 2 hours later. I was charged with just simple battery, and not domestic battery. I got a call from the state the next morning saying they would not proceed with charges as they thought “the arrest was a little ridiculous”. To this day, I have not gotten in any further trouble and am now 20 years old. I am looking to apply to the same sheriffs office that booked me. Are my chances out the window? Please do not sugarcoat anything, give it time straight. Thank you for reading.
    So you use physical violence in order to solve arguments..?
    Now go home and get your shine box!

    Comment


    • backtheblue22
      backtheblue22 commented
      Editing a comment
      I was young and dumb. I am not the same person.

    • Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      CCCSD- Sounds like the old "These aren't my pants!" defense...

  • #3
    Originally posted by backtheblue22 View Post
    Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my post. I’ve wanted to be a LEO from a young age and have always held it to be my dream career. Unfortunately, when I was 17 I was arrested for simple battery. It’s a little more complicated than just that, though. Me and my brother had gotten into a physical altercation that evening, which led to the neighbors calling the local sheriffs office. He was 20 at the time and I was still a minor. This was nothing new to us. Whenever we had disagreements that we knew would turn physical, we would just take it outside, brawl, and shake hands at the end of the day. When the police arrived, I took full responsibility because my brother was 20 and me being young and dumb, thought I would suffer no consequence being a minor at the time. My brother pleaded for them not to arrest me but the female cop kept telling us it is considered to be a domestic violence issue. I was arrested and taken to the sheriffs office. They booked and processed me and had my mom pick me up 2 hours later. I was charged with just simple battery, and not domestic battery. I got a call from the state the next morning saying they would not proceed with charges as they thought “the arrest was a little ridiculous”. To this day, I have not gotten in any further trouble and am now 20 years old. I am looking to apply to the same sheriffs office that booked me. Are my chances out the window? Please do not sugarcoat anything, give it time straight. Thank you for reading.
    Paragraphs, dude...paragraphs...

    Comment


    • backtheblue22
      backtheblue22 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry for the incorrect paragraph structure. I was just trying to get feedback.

    • Aidokea
      Aidokea commented
      Editing a comment
      If you want our help, then take the time to put in the effort required to ask your question in a format that is not so sloppy.

  • #4
    You got feedback. You have issues.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

    Comment


    • #5
      Alright thank you.

      Comment


      • #6
        It doesn't matter what you were arrested for, charged with, or convicted of- what matters, is what you did. And what you did, is domestic violence, which is an automatic disqualifier in law enforcement.

        Comment


        • backtheblue22
          backtheblue22 commented
          Editing a comment
          Even if the charge was just simple battery? Even as a juvenile?

        • Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          What did I just say? I said that it doesn't matter what you were arrested for, charged with, or convicted of- what matters, is what you did, and what you did is domestic violence.

          You may be able to get a job as a Constable in England- they don't carry guns. But no department is going to be willing to give you a firearm, in a country where those convicted of domestic violence are legally prohibited from possessing firearms...and the only difference in your situation, is that the arresting agency was unspeakably sloppy in how they handled your case.

      • #7
        How long ago was this? Here altercations between siblings are no longer considered domestic violence. But what concerns me is that you apparently lied to the officer to keep your brother out of trouble. Or did I read your post wrong?

        I'm from Florida but I don't know what their law is on domestic violence between siblings. But there again you lied and obstructed an officer. How do I know if you're going to lie to me when things aren't going your way? I don't know if this will be a permanent DQ but sure isn't going to help you in any way. I wouldn't recommend you.
        Last edited by westside popo; 09-27-2019, 01:27 AM.

        Comment


        • backtheblue22
          backtheblue22 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hello, sorry let me clarify. So it was basically mutual combat, which I agree was very stupid. I am also in Florida, so law is the same between us. I did not lie to the officer, I started it.

        • Aidokea
          Aidokea commented
          Editing a comment
          backtheblue22, that's not what your original post said. Your original post said "When the police arrived, I took full responsibility because my brother was 20 and me being young and dumb, thought I would suffer no consequence being a minor at the time.". So either you lied to us in your first post, or you lied to us just now. Either way, you're a liar, we don't need liars as cops.

      • #8
        Originally posted by westside popo View Post
        How long ago was this? Here altercations between siblings are no longer considered domestic violence. But what concerns me is that you apparently lied to the officer to keep your brother out of trouble. Or did I read your post wrong?

        I'm from Florida but I don't know what their law is on domestic violence between siblings. But there again you lied and obstructed an officer. How do I know if you're going to lie to me when things aren't going your way? I don't know if this will be a permanent DQ but sure it's going to help in any way. I wouldn't recommend you.
        That MIGHT not be as big of a problem in Florida, but if he applies anywhere else, where the domestic violence laws still include siblings, he's probably going to be an automatic DQ.

        Comment


        • #9
          An underage juvenile detained on a battery charge, released to parents, no criminal charge processed, no conviction of record, now an adult with no further history.

          1. Probably won't even show up on a criminal history background check because you were a juvenile at the time, thus the record is now sealed.

          2. No conviction exists, thus there is no disqualifying matter to deal with.

          3. Personally, I have two brothers and we fought like cats and dogs for decades. I'm talking about broken teeth, serious contusions, and a number of hospital visits. No one ever gave it a thought (OK, it was the 1950's and 1960's, not modern politically correct America).

          If you don't mention the incident I seriously doubt that it will ever become an issue. However, when you sit for your polygraph you may find that the incident will influence your results, so I would advise you to be completely open and up front with your background questionnaire and investigator, disclose the incident and the disposition (no formal charges, no convictions, etc) so there will be no surprises to anyone along the way.

          Assuming that you have stopped being a dumb *** in how you settle your family squabbles there should be no reason not to pursue a career in law enforcement.

          Comment


          • backtheblue22
            backtheblue22 commented
            Editing a comment
            I appreciate the feedback. Me and my brother are on great terms and no longer live together. I’m studying at university now and plan on joining a department when I graduate. I’m hoping that a 4 dedication to my education will show I have matured quite a bit since I was a teenager. I have not gotten in any trouble at all since (not even a speeding ticket). I am a really level headed person. Me and my brother just acted like jacka**es when we were younger.

        • #10
          In terms of Domestic Violence or any Battery charge, 17 is not considered a juvenile here. Physically fighting with a sibling is a DV. The officer found probable cause at the scene to make the arrest. All you can do is apply and be honest.

          Comment


          • #11
            Sounds like any other day in florida tbh

            Comment


            • Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              I've never been to Florida, but the videos that JP Sears has done on Florida crack me up.

          • #12
            Originally posted by Aidokea View Post

            That MIGHT not be as big of a problem in Florida, but if he applies anywhere else, where the domestic violence laws still include siblings, he's probably going to be an automatic DQ.
            Just to clarify I'm from Florida but now live and work as a LEO in Georgia.

            I was also wrong on Georgia's family violence law involving siblings. Some how along the way I got our code sections crossed up.

            Altercations between siblings is family violence but the severity of punishment may not be as great depending on the charge. For example Simple Battery Family Violence between siblings is a misdemeanor. But if, for example, it was between roommates it could be a misdemeanor of an "high and aggravated nature."

            Little off topic but just wanted to correct myself.

            Comment


            • Aidokea
              Aidokea commented
              Editing a comment
              No worries.

              Either way, his DV offense is probably going to prevent him from being issued a firearm, which means that he is of no use as a police officer in the United States.

          • #13
            Aidokea comments that the "DV offense" (domestic violence offense) is probably going to prevent issuance of a firearm. That would only be correct if the charge resulted in a conviction of record, which is not the case (there was no prosecution, there was no conviction, therefore there was no "offense").

            Such an incident involving an applicant might be cause for a more thorough investigation, and the OP might expect to be competing against other applicants without such incidents in their past, but by itself this is not disqualifying. Jeopardy attaches only upon a criminal conviction, not because of an allegation or even an arrest. "Presumed innocent until proven guilty" applies, and it is not up to a background investigator to serve as the judge, only to gather the facts pertinent to the hiring authority's decision making.

            Comment


            • #14
              Originally posted by retired1995 View Post
              Aidokea comments that the "DV offense" (domestic violence offense) is probably going to prevent issuance of a firearm. That would only be correct if the charge resulted in a conviction of record, which is not the case (there was no prosecution, there was no conviction, therefore there was no "offense").
              I did not mean that it would be illegal for him to have a firearm, just that it would be bad policy.

              Such an incident involving an applicant might be cause for a more thorough investigation, and the OP might expect to be competing against other applicants without such incidents in their past...
              Yup.

              Comment


              • #15
                Originally posted by backtheblue22 View Post
                Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read my post. I’ve wanted to be a LEO from a young age and have always held it to be my dream career. Unfortunately, when I was 17 I was arrested for simple battery. It’s a little more complicated than just that, though. Me and my brother had gotten into a physical altercation that evening, which led to the neighbors calling the local sheriffs office. He was 20 at the time and I was still a minor. This was nothing new to us. Whenever we had disagreements that we knew would turn physical, we would just take it outside, brawl, and shake hands at the end of the day. When the police arrived, I took full responsibility because my brother was 20 and me being young and dumb, thought I would suffer no consequence being a minor at the time. My brother pleaded for them not to arrest me but the female cop kept telling us it is considered to be a domestic violence issue. I was arrested and taken to the sheriffs office. They booked and processed me and had my mom pick me up 2 hours later. I was charged with just simple battery, and not domestic battery. I got a call from the state the next morning saying they would not proceed with charges as they thought “the arrest was a little ridiculous”. To this day, I have not gotten in any further trouble and am now 20 years old. I am looking to apply to the same sheriffs office that booked me. Are my chances out the window? Please do not sugarcoat anything, give it time straight. Thank you for reading.
                Just a personal opinion, domestic violence is sort of stretched out beyond what the law should truly be for. I am talking about siblings fighting each other, which is just as common water in a lake. Anyone who has brothers and sisters, roughly within a few years of age of each other, have been to war against each other at one point or another.
                John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

                Comment


                • Bing_Oh
                  Bing_Oh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not to get off topic, but we can thank an earlier generation of LE for that...the generation that let domestics slide with a warning and the victim later ends up severely beaten or dead. It's precisely those kinds of incidents that got my state a "shall arrest" DV law.

              MR300x250 Tablet

              Collapse

              What's Going On

              Collapse

              There are currently 8253 users online. 393 members and 7860 guests.

              Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

              Welcome Ad

              Collapse
              Working...
              X