Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Decisions - Army CID vs PD (again)

I just received and accepted a conditional job offer from my local city police department. The job offer is dependent on my passing one last PT test, which I feel like I'm ready for.

On the other hand, I'm still waiting to hear back from my US Army CID application that is pending. I'm worried that if I were to bail out of the PD Academy before it starts to join the Army, I'll basically be burning a bridge to ever work as a local LEO again. On the other-other hand, way down the line, my goal is to join a federal agency, for which I feel like Army CID might be the better choice.

I'm really wrestling with these choices, but I'm thrilled to finally get the job offer I've been waiting over a year for.

I know you guys usually say to jump on the first acceptance letter you get and just figure it out from there. But I'm not sure if that's the right call.

Go local PD....and do Army CID in the reserves.

Comment

Originally posted by Kraut0783 View Post
      Go local PD....and do Army CID in the reserves.
      That's a good suggestion. But I would at least wait until after you complete FTO before enlisting. Maybe after you're off probation.

I would take the PD job, work there 2 or more years then reapply for CID or what ever federal job you want.

Comment

With the local PD, you're going to be building time in the retirement system you wouldn't get in if you were in the military.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

How does doing CID as a Reservist compare to working on Active Duty?

Would I still go to OSUT and CIDSAC like a normal MP/CID Agent and then just work part-time with the reserves unit?

Comment

Originally posted by NaturalZero View Post
            How does doing CID as a Reservist compare to working on Active Duty?

Would I still go to OSUT and CIDSAC like a normal MP/CID Agent and then just work part-time with the reserves unit?
            https://www.cid.army.mil/reserve-agents.html

Comment

I don't see how you can turn down a sure thing for something that may never happen.

Comment

• NaturalZero
                NaturalZero commented
                Editing a comment
                What do you mean by "a thing that may never happen"? I already accepted the PD conditional offer, and I'm supposed to hear back from CID in the next week. I'm wondering which is the better option, and whether bailing on the PD is going to bite me in the not-too-distant future.

From what others have said, I'm now considering going the aforementioned route of CID in the Reserves or National Guard after going in with the PD.

You have a sure thing with the PD. You do not have a sure thing with CID.

Comment

• Saluki89
                Saluki89 commented
                Editing a comment
                4 years down the line he will be scratching his head wondering how the army could tell him one thing during recruitment and do something different once he is in.

Originally posted by just joe View Post
              You have a sure thing with the PD. You do not have a sure thing with CID.
              If he gets through the Academy, Field Training and Probation.

Comment

I have done the PD and reserve CID thing. Agree, get through training at the PD and get off probation before going USAR. Make sure your new PD is good with you joining the USAR after being employed there. Unless you are prior Army, you will have to do basic/AIT and CID...it's tough to get a job and then leave for a period of time....they probably won't make up the pay difference and it will suck for pay.

If your ultimate goal is federal, you can get just as much experience in the local PD...actually more, have a good work ethic, get some detective experience and go for a fed gig prior to age 37.

Or just go Active Duty CID.

Comment

• NaturalZero
                  NaturalZero commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, I appreciate your input.

I still haven't heard back from CID, but I'm moving forward with my application with the PD. I'll be doing their pre-Academy PT test tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.

Just passed my pre-Academy PT test by the skin of my teeth. So now I just have to go through medical and psych, and I think I'm set to start with the next PD class. I definitely need to run more before the Academy starts.

Comment

• westside popo
                  westside popo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Don't go crazy with it and hurt yourself! I'm sure someone there is going to be more a out of shape than you.
                  They'll get you into shape there, their way! If you hurt yourself there you could be covered. Hurt yourself now and they may withdraw that offer until you get medically cleared.

• NaturalZero
                  NaturalZero commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ha, I'll keep that in mind and try my best to stay un-maimed.

I've been working with a personal trainer for several months, which is probably the only reason I was even able to pass. I've lost nearly 40 lbs in the last 6 months, so it's good to see that it actually payed off (even if only by the slightest of margins).

Now I've heard back from both CID and PD, and I've been accepted to both. I have to pick between one or the other, and I'm seriously wrestling with the choice.

Comment

Originally posted by NaturalZero View Post
                  Now I've heard back from both CID and PD, and I've been accepted to both. I have to pick between one or the other, and I'm seriously wrestling with the choice.
                  Take everything you know, plus everything you desire. Consider whatever your family life is like. You more than likely will make more money doing local PD. BUT in my opinion, maybe the better long term choice may be CID. Local LE will always be there. But you are part of the 30 to 40 percent of the population who can actual serve in military. Make no mistake about it. You will be a Soldier first. But there will be a lot of things you can benefit from CID.

JUST make a choice and go with it.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty_appleton814 View Post

Take everything you know, plus everything you desire. Consider whatever your family life is like. You more than likely will make more money doing local PD. BUT in my opinion, maybe the better long term choice may be CID. Local LE will always be there. But you are part of the 30 to 40 percent of the population who can actual serve in military. Make no mistake about it. You will be a Soldier first. But there will be a lot of things you can benefit from CID.

JUST make a choice and go with it.
                    I agree with the above. I wasn't CID but the experience I gained in the Army is incalculable. You are in a very narrow time window of eligibility. In the academy I had classmates that were retired from the Army. The biggest reason I agree w/ what scotty_appleton814. Law Enforcement will always be there.

Incidentally, I was 3 yrs Regular Army and 4 yrs Reserve. Reserve was harder and it's difficult to explain why.

When I've made major decisions in life, I make a list, pros and cons. Only you can make this decision. I wish you well.

Comment

UPDATE:

I've decided to go with with my local PD and turn down the CID Direct Accession contract. I'm sure the recruiting office is going to drag me over the coals, but local law enforcement is what had inspired this whole choice to begin with, and I feel like seeing that through will be the more rewarding path.

In the next couple years I'm hoping to join the reserves, as Kraut0783 has suggested and get that training on top of serving my community.

Thank you, Officers for all your advice, you've all been immensely helpful in this process.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8384 users online. 387 members and 7997 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X