Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applying for a police department help??

So I’m applying for a police department, however, I’m a fomer corrections officer who was forced to resign. I believe the reason I was forced to resign was discrimination. A week before I was forced to resign I was sexually assaulted by a seasoned correctional officer who was very popular with everyone. I had to write a statement about something that happened with an inmate who was in the ICU, and I put on there that I told my supervisor what had happened with the inmate. My supervisor denied me telling him even though I did or so they say. They claimed I lied and was then let go. I think that wasn’t the real reason they wanted me gone. I’m now applying for a police department and have to explain what had happened in an application. Will I ever be able to be a officer since this had happened? Any help appreciated.
    Last edited by k9kari; 09-18-2019, 02:34 PM.

In your own words, not ours.

The burden is on you to prove your side, not the hiring agency.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by k9kari View Post
      So I’m applying for a police department, however, I’m a fomer corrections officer who was forced to resign. I believe the reason I was forced to resign was discrimination. A week before I was forced to resign I was sexually assaulted by a seasoned correctional officer who was very popular with everyone. I had to write a statement about something that happened with an inmate who was in the ICU, and I put on there that I told my supervisor what had happened with the inmate. My supervisor denied me telling him even though I did or so they say. They claimed I lied and was then let go. I think that wasn’t the real reason they wanted me gone. I’m now applying for a police department and have to explain what had happened in an application. Will I ever be able to be a officer since this had happened? Any help appreciated.
      In your own words.............................you are saying that your supervisors are claiming you were not honest in official documents.

First you need to read Brady v. Maryland, 373 U.S. 83 (1963) This is a US Supreme Court decision that speaks to the severe handicap that falls on an officer who has been "ruled" untruthful in previous court proceedings OR in any type of official documents.

Then you need to put yourself in the position of the law enforcement administrator how reviews your history.
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• L-1
        L-1 commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, they had you write a report, but to the best of your knowledge, did they conduct an official investigation of any kind (misconduct or sexual harassment) into your allegation?

• k9kari
        k9kari commented
        Editing a comment
        I know they had me talk to the police and ask if I want to press charges. I’m not sure if they did or not and if they did I know as a fact the person was not punished whatsoever.

• k9kari
        k9kari commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m assuming that they did but not for sure as again the person did not get in trouble whatsoever.

• L-1
        L-1 commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, so after you made your complaint, non action was taken against the other employee and you were pushed out in retaliation for making your complaint, what did you do? Did you just roll over and take it? Did you file a complain with the EEOC? Did you file a whistleblower lawsuit?

So this was reported to the local police?
      What did they say?
      How much time elapsed from the sexual assault, to you reporting it?
      What was the official reason for your resignation?
      What does the report on the inmate have to do with sex discrimination and the sexual assault from the other CO?

Comment

Originally posted by westside popo View Post
        So this was reported to the local police?
        What did they say?
        How much time elapsed from the sexual assault, to you reporting it?
        What was the official reason for your resignation?
        What does the report on the inmate have to do with sex discrimination and the sexual assault from the other CO?
        The OP is saying that the inmate report incident and aftermath was a pretext termination becasue of the OP's earlier sexual abuse allegation against a "popular" staff member
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I would consult an attorney that specializes in employment law.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeitgeist1 View Post
            I would consult an attorney that specializes in employment law.

Exactly. If you have a case, and were wrongly terminated for retaliation or whatever reason, an attorney (if you are non-union) would be the way to go. A consultation to see if you even have a case. Your allegations are very serious but you did not say whether you reported your assault at all, if it happened at work, or off duty. Like Zeietgeist1 said , you need to seek a professional legal opinion.
            John 15:13 - Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Comment

• k9kari
              k9kari commented
              Editing a comment
              I’m honestly thinking about it. But since I technically resigned even though it was forced idk if I can still sue or not? I’ve been looking at lawyers but most wont do free consultations and at the moment I don’t have a lot of money.

• L-1
              L-1 commented
              Editing a comment
              Putting together all your posts, it appears you are claiming the following:

1. You were the victim of a sexual assault by another officer.
              2. When you reported that assault, no action was taken against the officer.
              3. In retaliation for reporting the assault, you were forced out of your job.
              4. You refused/failed/neglected (take your pick) to report the sexual harassment to the EEOC.
              5. You refused/failed/neglected (take your pick) to report the unlawful retaliation to the EEOC.
              6. Although attorneys take such cases on a contingency if they have merit, you have refused/failed/neglected (take your pick) to pursue a lawsuit for sexual harassment and as a whistleblower.

To a BI this suggests one of several possibilities.

1. Your story is full of crap. You know it won't stand the scrutiny of examination so you tell your tale of woe hoping people will buy it, all the while knowing you can't pursue complaints or lawsuits because they will show you to be the fraud you are. If that's the case, no law enforcement agency is going to hire you.

2. Your story is true. However, you lack personal initiative and the ability to face adversity as evidenced by your failure to file EEOC complaints and seek out legal counsel to handle your matter. Again, if your case has merit, attorneys gladly handle matters such as this on a contingency (no money up front) and for the positive publicity it brings their firm. Personal initiative and the ability to deal with adversity are some of the minimum traits required of law enforcement personnel. If it is apparent you lack them, it's easy to get DQed on your background.

3. You story is true, however, you are just too dumb to know how to fight for yourself. If that's the case, again, no one is going to hire you.

Unless you stand up for yourself, your prospects of getting hired again are pretty slim.
              Last edited by L-1; 09-21-2019, 05:29 AM.

• k9kari
              k9kari commented
              Editing a comment
              It was only in late July that this had happened it’s not too late to file a complaint with EEOC is it?

• L-1
              L-1 commented
              Editing a comment
              No, it is not too late.

=1 to Zeitgeist1.

Comment

There are whistleblower laws about this stuff.

Comment

• just joe
                just joe commented
                Editing a comment
                If her story is accurate, I was thinking the same thing.

• Bing_Oh
                Bing_Oh commented
                Editing a comment
                There are, but some states' whistleblower laws are extremely weak while others are extremely convoluted, requiring very precise steps to the followed within certain time periods to even come close to qualifying. I reviewed mine after an incident and found that my union protection was actually considerably better than the protection provided under state whistleblower statutes.

First must ensure that all the facts are true and correct. Interesting that this point has been glossed over...
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

The OP is saying that the inmate report incident and aftermath was a pretext termination becasue of the OP's earlier sexual abuse allegation against a "popular" staff member
                IMO that's what she wants us to think but it's not what actually happened. I think L-1 sums it up nicely.

​​​​​​

Comment

• Iowa #1603
                  Iowa #1603 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh I don't doubt that for a moment .

I was just clarifying what the OP stated

My first post still stands as my answer to this problem

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8187 users online. 394 members and 7793 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X