300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The application process and meeting requirements

Today I just got my first email back from an agency in regards to my application that I had sent out, they decided that it was going to not referred for further consideration because it did not indicate that I met the minimum requirements for this position. I love LE and really want to make this my career, but I am concerned that I will not make the cut at the other agencies. I am currently a college student with only one more term left before graduating, and I really haven't gotten much work experience. I had decided that I wanted to put everything I had into college and do my very best so I did not seek out a job while I've been at college. I have completed all my testing such as the ORPAT and the Frontline exam and passed the examinations. Currently I do have four more applications out which is a lot but two of the agencies I applied to stated they were open through the NTN but I discovered that they were not open on the city government websites, and the third is building an ongoing eligibility list. I do have two other agencies that I am very interested in but at this time they are not open to applicants, I have however gotten into contact with one of the agencies to see when the next cycle of applications will begin and now have a meeting with a member of the recruiting team. Is 6-7 applications a lot for an applicant? I have begun documenting each and every single application I have sent out with the date and time so that I can provide any agency with a very thorough record. Would you recommend seeking out employment for the real world experience or can I use the life experience that I have gotten from 4 years of education? Thank you so much for your time and help.

You'll get way more no's than yes's.

Keep trying. Ask for feedback. Improve your resume and cover letter. Coming out of college you have limited experience and negligible maturity. Hard to slap a badge on someone who's life experience consists of showing up to class and partying.

Comment

Paragraphs are your friend.

After trying to make it through that huge jumble of words, I still don't know what minimum requirements you failed to meet, so it's hard to give you a meaningful response other than the following:

1. Read the exam announcement for the position you are seeking. It should clearly spell out what the minimum requirements are for the position you are seeking. If you don't possess those minimum requirements, don't apply, as you will waste both your time and that of the HR staff.

2. If you can't figure out how to acquire the minimum requirements for the position you are seeking, you are not qualified for the job. OTOH, if you are just too impatient to take the time to acquire the minimum qualifications, you will never make it in this profession.

6 or 7 applications in and of itself is not too much. Generally speaking, only about 1 or 2 out of every 100 folks who apply get hired. If several hundred people apply for four or five positions, most of them are going to be disappointed, so you apply to multiple agencies hoping you score high enough to become the anointed one. However, if you repeatedly apply and are rejected when it is clear you lack the minimum qualifications, it suggests you are unable to read and follow simple written instructions, that you lack good judgement, thoroughness, accuracy maturity and common sense, all of which are additional minimum requirements for a police officer. Something like that can quickly get you bounced on the background investigation.

This is a profession where you are charged with enforcing the law. Conversely, you are expected to play by the rules. If you fail to meet the minimum qualifications, no one is going to hire you just because you "love LE and being a cop is your dream job."

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

• Iowa #1603
        Iowa #1603 commented
        Editing a comment
        Amen.......

Originally posted by Ishy View Post
      Today I just got my first email back from an agency in regards to my application that I had sent out, they decided that it was going to not referred for further consideration because it did not indicate that I met the minimum requirements for this position. I love LE and really want to make this my career, but I am concerned that I will not make the cut at the other agencies. I am currently a college student with only one more term left before graduating, and I really haven't gotten much work experience. I had decided that I wanted to put everything I had into college and do my very best so I did not seek out a job while I've been at college. I have completed all my testing such as the ORPAT and the Frontline exam and passed the examinations. Currently I do have four more applications out which is a lot but two of the agencies I applied to stated they were open through the NTN but I discovered that they were not open on the city government websites, and the third is building an ongoing eligibility list. I do have two other agencies that I am very interested in but at this time they are not open to applicants, I have however gotten into contact with one of the agencies to see when the next cycle of applications will begin and now have a meeting with a member of the recruiting team. Is 6-7 applications a lot for an applicant? I have begun documenting each and every single application I have sent out with the date and time so that I can provide any agency with a very thorough record. Would you recommend seeking out employment for the real world experience or can I use the life experience that I have gotten from 4 years of education? Thank you so much for your time and help.
      Paragraphs, dude...paragraphs...

Comment

I'm sorry for the nightmare of a post and thank you all for your responses, they have been very helpful. After doing some digging and looking into the agencies minimum requirements, I found that I am failing to meet the minimum experience and/or education requirement. I completely understand where this is coming from, it is an officers duty to interact with the public and serve the public to the best of their ability and then some. Currently I lack the experience to deal with anyone other than professors and other college students because I haven't had to really interact with anyone else.

I am wondering what would you considered to a good source of life experience outside of college? Are their any jobs that would stand out more than others for providing life experience? If there is a career that would really benefit my real world knowledge I would work harder to ensure that I could obtain my education and experience. My goal is to set myself apart from other applicants in multiple areas so that I can stand out to the agency, but currently I really only have a vague idea of how I can set myself apart. What are things that I can do to make myself stand out as an applicant?

A big part of life is learning from the mistakes that have been made so that we can better ourselves. Now I know I should have paid much closer attention to the requirements and be more humble. In the future I will definitely focus more closely on the requirements of that agency and make sure that I fulfill those requirements to the letter. Thank you again for all the help and really providing lots of beneficial information. I'd much rather sound like a fool once and feel embarrassment than keep quiet and be a fool for the rest of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Ishy View Post
          I'm sorry for the nightmare of a post and thank you all for your responses, they have been very helpful. After doing some digging and looking into the agencies minimum requirements, I found that I am failing to meet the minimum experience and/or education requirement. I completely understand where this is coming from, it is an officers duty to interact with the public and serve the public to the best of their ability and then some. Currently I lack the experience to deal with anyone other than professors and other college students because I haven't had to really interact with anyone else.

I am wondering what would you considered to a good source of life experience outside of college? Are their any jobs that would stand out more than others for providing life experience? If there is a career that would really benefit my real world knowledge I would work harder to ensure that I could obtain my education and experience. My goal is to set myself apart from other applicants in multiple areas so that I can stand out to the agency, but currently I really only have a vague idea of how I can set myself apart. What are things that I can do to make myself stand out as an applicant?

A big part of life is learning from the mistakes that have been made so that we can better ourselves. Now I know I should have paid much closer attention to the requirements and be more humble. In the future I will definitely focus more closely on the requirements of that agency and make sure that I fulfill those requirements to the letter. Thank you again for all the help and really providing lots of beneficial information. I'd much rather sound like a fool once and feel embarrassment than keep quiet and be a fool for the rest of my life.
          ANY job experience helps.

RARELY does anyone really "stand out" in the application pool. All but the smallest of agencies get the best of the best applying and the hiring pool is a swamp of applicants all of which would be good hires.

You need to score high enough to be in a good position on the hiring list to get interviews.. THEN your personality will show up in the process and help (or hinder) you in getting hired.
          Last edited by Iowa #1603; 09-12-2019, 07:08 AM.
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

If your hang up is work experience, you need to get a job -- any job. They don't care if you deliver pizzas; they want someone who knows what it is like to roll out of bed, go to work, and perform a function to a satisfactory level.

Comment

I believe I scored well on the tests, however I'm just an applicant that doesn't really know much. I passed the ORPAT no problem, I did end up getting the cough for the rest of the day to the amusement of the officer I was assigned to ride with that night. For the Frontline exam I scored 100.00% on the Reading Test, 93.33% on the Writing Test and 88.59% on the Video Test. Are these considered okay scores or should I try again to get better scores?

Thank you for the information, I will definitely start looking for job openings in my area. I need the experience and it helps me in many ways for the future.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5104 users online. 210 members and 4894 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X