300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Stop Trying? (NOPD)

I read the "Read Before Posting" stuff, but let me know if this breaks any of those rules.

I applied on my 20th Bday for NOPD. Aced the test, panel, physical, and began my background. Never done drugs. Only debt I have is school related (One year of college), and it's being paid consistently. Worked as a Police Aid before the academy. I wasn't gonna be 21 until the next year. Like 3 academies later. Got called in one day and told to resign, I've failed the background, they can't tell me why, apply again in 6 months.

Everyone, HR, Union guy, dudes I worked with said no one is gonna tell me why I got fired(?), but it was probably my age. Later (6+ months) asked to be reinvestigated, they told me no, but to keep doing good work where I am. Note: Started working at the Sheriff's Office like 3 weeks after my resignation, at the behest of HR and everyone I met.

Accidently asked to be re-investigated too early, denied. My 6 months is up, and I tried to full on aplly again. Got an email today saying I still have active test scores, and to call and ask questions, or ask to be re-investigated again.

Here's my dilemma, I want to work for them. Even though they've kicked me a few times. I'm in the process for BR, Kenner, and Slidell and they all look good right now (I'm doing great). I even got into the Academy at my SO, so I'm gonna at least be POST 2 Certified by the end of the year. Should I even try again for them? Ask to be re-investigated? How many denials is too many, and should I get the hint? Or is it just a fluke, and no one gets it the first 2 tries? I've asked people in person, but everyone's advice is kinda 'bland' (they don't understand the limbo I'm in). Is there any way to get new info to them, like, I've been an outstanding officer at my current place for like 1 year 1/2. I've completely paid off some debt. I'm older now with great credit (vs. Nonexistent). What do I do?
    Last edited by ZacknCheese; 09-09-2019, 05:34 PM. Reason: Added tags

Wait till your post 2 certified then try again.

Comment

If they treated you like that, why would you want to work for them? There are way too many agencies in the Southern US that are looking for good recruits. Why is your heart set on NOPD? Would you consider trying to get hired elsewhere and then lateral in a few years?
      Last edited by Zeitgeist1; 09-10-2019, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaniarivera View Post
        Wait till your post 2 certified then try again.
        Apparently you smoked too much dope "6 months" ago and it's effected your reading comprehension.

Don't reply to other members' posts in this part of the forum!
        Last edited by westside popo; 09-11-2019, 08:13 AM.

Comment

You were told to resign from what? It doesn't sound like you were ever hired.

Comment

• ZacknCheese
            ZacknCheese commented
            Editing a comment
            The Police Aid Position. It's a paid temporary position that NOPD does before the academy. Say for instance you can't wait the 6 months for the next academy, and need work. Or you get injured. They'll have you do basic intern ****, and they'll hold you through one academy if necessary, while paying you.

I got the position and was working it when I was asked to resign.

Why were you fired from NOPD?
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
            Why were you fired from NOPD?
            Officially, I failed the background check. They said they couldn't tell me the exact reason for the failure, but to just reapply later. My background is clear, no automatic disqualifiers, and mainly social service, with a solid work history.

Unofficially, the people I worked with were saying that it was due to my age. Because as a Police Aid, they can hold you over for an Academy if you can't attend for some reason. But due to my age, I wasn't going to be eligible for 3 Academies, and would have to sit out. And if they did, they'd be paying me like $15, 40+ hours, for nothing for almost a year.

But again, I don't have an official reason.

Comment

If they hired you as a PA, pending academy, it’s not your age. They would know your timeline.
              You have an issue.
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

It's not your age.

Like CCCSD said, you have an issue. Would you like to share it with us?

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                  If they hired you as a PA, pending academy, it’s not your age. They would know your timeline.
                  You have an issue.
                  See that's my worry. But there's no way for me to find out. And I have no clue what it could pertain to. I have no automatic disqualifiers, normal college debt, good credit (especially for my age), no drug use, good work history (few jobs, good references), no negative associations (my friends are also civil service), passed the CVSA, etc. I seem like a perfect candidate, at least I thought.

I'm being completely upfront when I say being asked to resign suprised me too. I was hoping people would say to just apply again, or I just wasn't what they were looking for at the time. But I have no clue that doesn't sound like a conspiracy or something wild.

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
                    It's not your age.

Like CCCSD said, you have an issue. Would you like to share it with us?
                    Yeah, there's no issue that I'm aware of. Nothing glaring or slight. Lack of relevant experience at most.

Comment

Originally posted by ZacknCheese View Post

See that's my worry. But there's no way for me to find out. And I have no clue what it could pertain to. I have no automatic disqualifiers, normal college debt, good credit (especially for my age), no drug use, good work history (few jobs, good references), no negative associations (my friends are also civil service), passed the CVSA, etc. I seem like a perfect candidate, at least I thought.

I'm being completely upfront when I say being asked to resign suprised me too. I was hoping people would say to just apply again, or I just wasn't what they were looking for at the time. But I have no clue that doesn't sound like a conspiracy or something wild.
                      apply elsewhere and see what happens
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post

apply elsewhere and see what happens
                        I have. I'm deep in the process for 3 other Police Departments, and my own Sheriff's Office is about to commission me. I'm just wondering if I should shoot my shot one last time? And if I do, what is the optimal way to go about it?

Comment

Unless someone from NOPD can give you an idea what happened, I doubt you'll get a helpful answer here. I'd continue the process with the other agencies. If you work in another agency for a couple years, you can decide if jumping through NOPD hoops again is worth it.
                          John from Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by ZacknCheese View Post
                            I have. I'm deep in the process for 3 other Police Departments, and my own Sheriff's Office is about to commission me. I'm just wondering if I should shoot my shot one last time? And if I do, what is the optimal way to go about it?
                            If you're "deep in the process" of three other agencies, why would you be worried about re-applying to NOPD? You're 20 years old...you have your entire career ahead of you. Concentrate your efforts on the agencies that are expressing interest in you. You'll have plenty of time to decide if/when you want to re-apply with NOPD after you have some experience...you may decide that you really enjoy working for another department and that NOPD isn't for you.
                            "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
                            -Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4821 users online. 192 members and 4629 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X