300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice from LEO's

Thanks to anyone who reads this and follows up with a comment.

I'm currently 27 years old and after dropping out of college 4 years ago to pursue playing poker for a living, I've decided to leave poker behind even though I've had immense monetary success and pursue my ultimate dream career in Law Enforcement. One aspect that's causing me to become apprehensive about the background process is my recent and one time use of Adderal, five months ago to be exact.. My only prior drug use to that was when I attempted to smoke marijuana but was unsuccessful eight years ago. Other than that, no criminal history, clean driving and credit history. I also graduated college and have a clean employment history as well. With this recent use of Adderal, are my chances of becoming an LEO slim to none? I plan on being forthright about all my shortcomings during the BI.
    I've begun applying to local agencies in Southern California and completed the written exam for Pasadena a few days ago.
    Thank you
    Last edited by BornToLove; 09-04-2019, 11:21 PM.

The adderall use at your age is going to be a huge issue. Drug use at 16 is completely different than drug use at 26/27. You knew it was wrong but you did it anyway. Drug use, especially well into adulthood does not show people you are a responsible adult.

Also, the PHS doesn’t ask whether or not you got high. If you used marijuana then you used. Don’t make excuses.

Comment

• BornToLove
      BornToLove commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the response.

I knew it was wrong and I take full responsibility for all my actions. I'd like to offer my reasoning for my usage. Not to try and justify my actions but to shed some light on my decision making. I had arrived in vegas and was going to attend a friends birthday event. It was a late night affair and I was exhausted because I had just recently landed and had no time to rest. It is important in the high stakes poker community to be well liked outside the tables and there were many notable faces at the birthday event so I knew that I needed to try and stay up as late as possible in order to make connections with everyone there in hopes of being invited to future high stakes poker games. My friend offered me the small dose and said that it would keep me awake and alert for the next few hours so I decided to try it out. I'm not one that's easily persuaded my others to do anything, it was my decision to do so and my error in judgement.

For the marijuana usage I have a legitimate question. When i was 19 I asked a friend of mine if I could take a hit of his marijuana joint. He said that there was nothing left in the joint and he was ready t throw it out. I asked if i could just take a hit just to see what it was like. So i did but there was nothing left in the joint, a roach is what i believe it's called. Is this still regarding as "marijuana usage"? Intent was there but there was no marijuana left to be smoked.

• Iowa #1603
      Iowa #1603 commented
      Editing a comment
      You WANTED to take a toke.................I would call it USAGE.

In a BI the investigator will take each incident at it's face value when determining how much weight to charge to the incident . That incident , to me, would be one that you wanted to smoke dope and charged as such.

Thank you for your insight and I agree with your logic as well.

If you don't mind answering one more BI question I'd appreciate it. During a visit to Japan a year ago, my friend and I went to a massage parlor that engaged in extra-circular activities (handjob) after the massage was over. This was the first time I'd done anything like that and would never do it again, (felt uncomfortable and asked the masseuse to stop before she was done). Is this anything worth mentioning in the BI? From the research I have done, it is legal in Japan to preform non-intercourse acts on customers.
    Last edited by BornToLove; 09-05-2019, 02:58 PM.

Comment

undefined
      The problem is- we give up too easily.

-Thomas Edison

Comment

• BornToLove
        BornToLove commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm having issues decoding this one. Mind lending me a helping hand?

Originally posted by BornToLove View Post
      Thank you for your insight and I agree with your logic as well.

If you don't mind answering one more BI question I'd appreciate it. During a visit to Japan a year ago, my friend and I went to a massage parlor that engaged in extra-circular activities (handjob) after the massage was over. This was the first time I'd done anything like that and would never do it again, (felt uncomfortable and asked the masseuse to stop before she was done). Is this anything worth mentioning in the BI? From the research I have done, it is legal in Japan to preform non-intercourse acts on customers.
      Once again you engaged in this activity as an adult . An activity that "made you uncomfortable" and therefore was , while not illegal at the place you engaged...................you KNEW it was immoral or at least unethical.

Your "clean past" is getting murkier as you keep talking .................................
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

• BornToLove
        BornToLove commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with you, I haven't made the wisest choices but I have real world experience and a relentlessness passion for this field. I will do my best to present myself as a worthwhile candidate and if it doesn't work out then i know I've tried my best.

Thank you Iowa

Ever wanted to be a firefighter?

Comment

• BornToLove
        BornToLove commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks to the success I've had in my current field I'm in a situation where I don't need to work a job. I want a career in Law Enforcement because I know i can excel in it while being proud and enjoying what I do.
        Last edited by BornToLove; 09-05-2019, 06:51 PM.

• westside popo
        westside popo commented
        Editing a comment
        It MAY not be possible with your background.

• BornToLove
        BornToLove commented
        Editing a comment
        We will see, whether or not it works out I'll be happy I tried.

The background is an issue yes. But considering what you have written here I doubt you pass any reasonable psychiatric exam. Not saying you are crazy or anything but so far your warts are showing you don't fit in the profile for a career LEO. JMHO, I'm not a psychiatrist.

Comment

• BornToLove
        BornToLove commented
        Editing a comment
        What you are saying may have merit. Four years ago I applied to the CDCR and passed every exam besides the psychological exam; I even made it through backgrounds. From what I remember, the psychologist concluded that she believed that I did not have the drive and ambition to have a lengthy career in Law Enforcement.

Nothing you've mentioned is going to hurt you long term with many agencies. Pasadena PD is pretty hardcore when it comes to backgrounds and I wouldn't suggest you applying there to transition from your poker career into police work.

The marijuana use is fine.

The happy ending in Japan will be taken at face value and it looks like this error in judgment occurred prior to your decision to becoming a police officer. You'll need at least one year distance from this incident. Many police agencies don't care if what you did was legal in the country you did it in, they care if it's illegal in their state.

There are three things you should really consider before applying for police jobs:

1. You should give yourself at least one year to distance yourself from your indiscretions.

2. You should get some volunteer time with a police department under your belt in order to show you're serious about a career in law enforcement. So far, you haven't said anything that shows you didn't wake up one morning and say, "I'm tired of poker. I'm gonna be a cop!" This entire process takes some deep soul searching. Remember, the worse that can happen is you'll be murdered because you wear a badge. Do something that shows you're serious about becoming a police officer.

3. Stop adding things to your background history in this forum. If you really want honest opinions here then be up front at the get go. Otherwise it's a non-starter here.
      Last edited by LA_Backgrounds; 09-05-2019, 11:03 PM.
      Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
      http://www.policebackground.net

Comment

Thank you for your response.

To address the section about suddenly making the decision to work in Law Enforcement, I'd like to say that's always been my goal to work in Law Enforcement. During my senior year in college, I applied to the CDCR, made it through every exam including the BI but ultimately failed the Psych and I chose not to appeal.

If I can apply to volunteer at a local PD I'd jump at the opportunity. Is there a website that will show me all local PD volunteer possibilities ?
        Last edited by BornToLove; 09-05-2019, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Thank you for your response.

If I can apply to volunteer at a local PD I'd jump at the opportunity. Is there a website that will show me all local PD volunteer possibilities ?
          You would just pick an agency you'd like to work for and contact their volunteer coordinator. A lot of applicants get their start at departments that way.

Comment

That's why I wrote what I wrote. If it's always been your goal it seems you sure made some poor decisions after realizing it was a goal. But I agree with LA Backgrounds. Put some time and distance between the warts and you. Do some volunteering at an agency if possible. The more you are around it the more you will improve from a psych perspective IMO. If you can put some distance between you and poor decisions without making more poor decisions and you keep working toward the goal you can get there.

Comment

• BornToLove
              BornToLove commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you. I have lots of free time so I will use it to volunteer somewhere and refrain from making any poor decisions.

Another question I have is regarding the POST academy. Is it ever a good idea to self-enroll myself in the POST academy. I know this is quite costly (does anyone actually know what it costs to undergo the full academy) but i will do it if it improves my chances of working in LE. The downside would be spending loads of money and not ever getting hired anywhere. What is your guys' general opinion on self-enrolling myself in POST academy?

Comment

Another question I have is regarding the POST academy. Is it ever a good idea to self-enroll myself in the POST academy. I know this is quite costly (does anyone actually know what it costs to undergo the full academy) but i will do it if it improves my chances of working in LE. The downside would be spending loads of money and not ever getting hired anywhere. What is your guys' general opinion on self-enrolling myself in POST academy?
              In your case I wouldn't suggest it because of your back ground. But it's your money and your time so spend them as you wish.

If this was a poker game and based on what every one has told you so far, how much would you bet on getting hired right now?

Good luck!

Comment

• BornToLove
                BornToLove commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you.

You're right I'd definitely have to fold.

Thanks Westside Popo haha

I agree with westside popo. The applicants that are hired from self- sponsored academies are usually top tier, which makes the cost well worth it. That’s a very small percentage of any academy class.

Comment

• BornToLove
                BornToLove commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes it makes sense that the applicant should feel very confident about getting hired before making an investment like that. I have browsed your page and I look forward to potentially seeking your assistance in the near future. Thank you for all your help and advice.

Originally posted by LA_Backgrounds View Post
              Nothing you've mentioned is going to hurt you long term with many agencies. Pasadena PD is pretty hardcore when it comes to backgrounds and I wouldn't suggest you applying there to transition from your poker career into police work.

The marijuana use is fine.

The happy ending in Japan will be taken at face value and it looks like this error in judgment occurred prior to your decision to becoming a police officer. You'll need at least one year distance from this incident. Many police agencies don't care if what you did was legal in the country you did it in, they care if it's illegal in their state.

There are three things you should really consider before applying for police jobs:

1. You should give yourself at least one year to distance yourself from your indiscretions.

2. You should get some volunteer time with a police department under your belt in order to show you're serious about a career in law enforcement. So far, you haven't said anything that shows you didn't wake up one morning and say, "I'm tired of poker. I'm gonna be a cop!" This entire process takes some deep soul searching. Remember, the worse that can happen is you'll be murdered because you wear a badge. Do something that shows you're serious about becoming a police officer.

3. Stop adding things to your background history in this forum. If you really want honest opinions here then be up front at the get go. Otherwise it's a non-starter here.
              ^^^^Nailed it!^^^^^

Only thing I can add is that every applicant will be evaluated in light of all other applicants in the hiring pool at the same time. Those with the strongest credentials and fewest detracting factors are most likely to be offered positions. One of the strongest attributes you can offer now is to be completely honest and straightforward about your life history, without rationalizations or excuses, and that alone will put you well ahead of at least half the other applicants (perhaps enough to get a little closer to the top of the pool, depending on what kind of blowhards, liars, and excuse makers you find yourself competing against).

Comment

• BornToLove
                BornToLove commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for your advice.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4821 users online. 235 members and 4586 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X