300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAPD appeal denial advice

So I was going through the out of state applicant process with LAPD- and was DQd once I got to the background portion of the process. After setting down with my BI he heavily advised I appeal stating the dings that kept me from being moved on(2 collections I was unaware of at the time, a recent termination within 11 months, and a run in with the law where I was ticketed for battery and then the charge was dropped) were small ones and once explained and clarified would allow me to continue back in the process. After waiting what seemed a life time I got my appeal letter response in the mail and was denied appeal. I spoke with someone in the investigations department and was advised that I basically couldn't reapply with them, which was disappointing, however she said that would probably be the case anywhere I apply at in state.
    My question is, Why was my BI so adamant I appeal if I was to be denied and if its just a matter of waiting on time to pass how long is the right amount of time?

Clarification: I was released from probation 1 day before I was given full union benefits while working for the railroad, this happened to everyone that was in my hiring class and is considered a termination

I was given a NTA (notice to appear) for battery when my girlfriends room mate drunkenly tried to fight me after trying to break into their apartment, I ended up in the ER and pressed charges he broke his hand on my head and also pressed charges a week after everything settled the city dropped my charges after I went in and spoke with county attorney. since then I have had no issues at all. It was also later explained to me that since where I live is a college town- anytime the local PD sees 2 college guys involved in a battery they ticket both of them and see what happens.

Also 2 and a half almost 3 years ago I was ticketed and arrested by ABC for providing alcohol to a minor- the minor was my GF who turned 21 in 6 days.

the collections were medical collections I thought insurance paid and were paid immediately once brought to my attention.

Does anyone have any suggestions or incite, should I apply to other departments in the LA area or what?

I find it interesting that everyone i know that has applied to LAPD all say the same things about their background investigators saying that if they are DQed from LAPDs process they will never get hired. Isn't that kind of weird?

Comment

• LA_Backgrounds
      LA_Backgrounds commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never heard an LAPD BI say that. Sounds like an urban legend.

Meaning something on my end isnt adding up or its just an odd observance from their end?

Comment

Originally posted by Kboy-123 View Post
      So I was going through the out of state applicant process with LAPD- and was DQd once I got to the background portion of the process. After setting down with my BI he heavily advised I appeal stating the dings that kept me from being moved on(2 collections I was unaware of at the time, a recent termination within 11 months, and a run in with the law where I was ticketed for battery and then the charge was dropped) were small ones and once explained and clarified would allow me to continue back in the process. After waiting what seemed a life time I got my appeal letter response in the mail and was denied appeal. I spoke with someone in the investigations department and was advised that I basically couldn't reapply with them, which was disappointing, however she said that would probably be the case anywhere I apply at in state.
      My question is, Why was my BI so adamant I appeal if I was to be denied and if its just a matter of waiting on time to pass how long is the right amount of time?

Clarification: I was released from probation 1 day before I was given full union benefits while working for the railroad, this happened to everyone that was in my hiring class and is considered a termination

I was given a NTA (notice to appear) for battery when my girlfriends room mate drunkenly tried to fight me after trying to break into their apartment, I ended up in the ER and pressed charges he broke his hand on my head and also pressed charges a week after everything settled the city dropped my charges after I went in and spoke with county attorney. since then I have had no issues at all. It was also later explained to me that since where I live is a college town- anytime the local PD sees 2 college guys involved in a battery they ticket both of them and see what happens.

Also 2 and a half almost 3 years ago I was ticketed and arrested by ABC for providing alcohol to a minor- the minor was my GF who turned 21 in 6 days.

the collections were medical collections I thought insurance paid and were paid immediately once brought to my attention.

Does anyone have any suggestions or incite, should I apply to other departments in the LA area or what?
      Your girlfriend lives with another guy and not you?

And this drunken fight occurred when he was trying to break into...his own apartment?

Comment

Not sure why your BI told you to appeal. Maybe he was misinformed, or maybe he was trying to be nice and get you out of the room.

You have some baggage. Perhaps it's all been resolved, but red flags nonetheless that other candidates don't have. I doubt LAPD will ever move forward with you.

Lots of places are hurting and hiring. I've lived here my entire live LA is probably the last place I'd ever want to work.

Comment

The BI advised appealing but someone else there said you don’t have a chance.

Talk is cheap.

God only knows how many times I’ve blown smoke just to end a conversation....
          The problem is- we give up too easily.

-Thomas Edison

Comment

Actions have consequences. For any other applicants or hopefuls reading this, before you do anything (or don’t do anything, such as missing payments on a loan), consider the consequences. Law enforcement agencies have gotten burned big time for taking lower-quality applicants. Most of them are going to be hesitant to take someone without a very clear background. LAPD’s going to be one agency that sticks to their standards, after burning themselves by hiring people like Rafael Perez.

Keep in mind that getting a cop job isn’t a right, and that an appeal or reduced standards serves only the applicant, not the department or the community.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

There's tons more to this than what we're reading. I'm guessing you're a perm DQ because of your criminal history. That's just a guess without actually seeing your case file.

For LAPD (actually, the Personnel Department) to deny your appeal and perm DQ you means that whatever was disclosed by you or discovered by your BI was significant enough to permanently ban you from ever applying again.
              Policebackground.net - Background investigation consulting & forums
              http://www.policebackground.net

Comment

• LA_Backgrounds
                LA_Backgrounds commented
                Editing a comment
                They don't release information once you submit your PHS. The information they gathered that led to the DQ may be confidential and not a part of what you initially disclosed.

• Kboy-123
                Kboy-123 commented
                Editing a comment
                So I guess where do I go from here? I mean if I cant know whats killing me how do I address it- Ive seen on here the phrase "you probably know whats DQing" but im disclosing all on here. I guess its frustrating is all. Should I keep floating out apps? or will they call LAPD and it will be an instant DQ?

• Iowa #1603
                Iowa #1603 commented
                Editing a comment
                KEEP APPLYING

There are thousands of other agencies out there besides LAPD

• LA_Backgrounds
                LA_Backgrounds commented
                Editing a comment
                It's hard to say. The other agencies will review the LAPD background. Look at the DQ letter letter for the standards you were DQ'd for to try to figured what areas they had a problem with. LAPD doesn't give out the specific DQ issues if they're confidential from other sources. Then again, it could be everything you disclosed. The only way to find out how you stand with other agencies is to apply.

also thankyou for all input on this post it is appreciated

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4740 users online. 208 members and 4532 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X