300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Integrity

I don't know how it is in other states, but in NC when you go through the background interview (f-8) they ask you "give me an example of a time in your life that you have shown integrity?" I struggle on this for two reasons

1. The 30 prior questions to this one have been about all the dumb things I have done, and bad decisions I have made in my 27 years, so it makes it tough to feel good about myself at that point.

2. It is hard to pinpoint one thing that shows my integrity.

Lately I have been thinking about saying something like this:

I think my integrity is evident by the fact that I have been totally forethcomeing about my past mistakes, even though revealing such information could potentially cause me not to get hired.

Or something to that effect. What do you think?
    “Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.”
    ― Henry Ford

Integrity

Well, it's an answer, although they may think it's a sarcastic one. Surely, you can think of something in your life that demonstrated integrity.

Comment

It may help or may not, but the Air Force defines integrity as doing the right thing even when no one is looking.

Keeping that in mind, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with something where you demonstrated integrity.

Example: Have you ever been given too much change, then gave it back pointing out the cashier's mistake? That's a small example, but it's a start.

I also make it a point never to answer with anything negative, or referencing the negatives (no point in dwelling on it). Always answer in the positive, let them ask you about negatives if it must be brought up.

That's just my opinion, take it for what it's worth. Good luck!
      Last edited by FutureTrooper28; 05-08-2007, 03:06 PM.

Comment

I can think of little things here and there, but nothing seems like a good answer.

For example:

You brought up giving back extra change. I have done that, but I have also taken money from an employer in the past. So it doesnt feel right to say something like that when I have essentially done the opposite. Anyone else have any examples? Not looking to use anyone elses answers, but just hoping something will remind me of my own example.
        “Most people spend more time and energy going around problems than in trying to solve them.”
        ― Henry Ford

Comment

Do you think asking others how to answer an integrity question is a demonstration of integrity? Might want to consider that one before answering.
          Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

Detector, thats what I was thinking !!! Thats the same thing as asking how should I answer the question why do you want to become a cop. Geez louise, well WHY DO YOU ? That ever cross anyones mind. Just tell them why you do. These questions are not that difficult. If they dont like your answer then maybe your not cut out to be a cop. I have come to that realization already and can accept that. My appraoch will be to answer honestly and let the chips fall where they may. If I dont get hired, so what.... Apply somewhere else. There actually are different places around the country that probably like this personality type or that personality type. You are who you are.

I am sure the mentality or personlities of people in Madison,WI (LIBERAL) are much different than the people in Knoxville,TN(Conservative). So it goes to reason that one personality may not look good in one of those places but the other may think you are perfect for them.

JUST BE YOURSELF

Comment

You seem to be missunderstanding me, I clearly said I was not looking to use anyone elses answers. I was only looking for advice from people who have been through this before. I had the interview today and it went fine, thanks to those who chimed in with what I was lookiing for. DetectorAZ you would be making a valid point if I was planning on using somebodys answer as my own, I certainly did not and would not do that. But I understand how it could have been missunderstood.
              ― Henry Ford

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5554 users online. 299 members and 5255 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X